Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Pilots wearing gloves during flight?

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:06 pm

On some flight deck videos, I have noticed pilots wearing gloves. Seems more common for military pilots although my knowledge is scant. I was watching pilots of a KC-135 and an AWAC aircraft and they were wearing gloves. Some flight deck videos of Japanese carriers show the pilots wearing thin white gloves while flying. This is not a universal practice as there are plenty of videos showing pilots flying the same kinds of aircraft without wearing gloves. Are gloves worn because it is sometimes cold on the flight deck or for some other reason?. Seems [?] more common on NATO aircraft. But don't know.

https://youtu.be/ApLC3EOF1QQ [Example]]

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Pilots wearing gloves during flight?

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:03 pm

In the USAF we were issued Nomex gloves with leather palms. Fighter bubbas nearly always wore them, heavies less so. The RAF drivers had neat white leather ones, that remained white for maybe six months. Never wore gloves in civilian planes, once ready to start.

Aaron747

Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:44 pm

Gloves are still SOP at Asian carriers in Japan and Korea. Partially due to maritime and railway tradition, but also because their conservative MX departments believe it’s better to avoid getting build up of skin oils and dirt on the panel.

26point2

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:24 am

What about gloves vs touch screens? IPad EFBs, etc. Our FMSs are all touch screen also.

Starlionblue

Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:41 am

26point2 wrote:
What about gloves vs touch screens? IPad EFBs, etc. Our FMSs are all touch screen also.

An issue indeed. However, there are gloves with touch screen friendly fingertips.

Aaron747

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:27 am

26point2 wrote:

Glove manufacturers have obviously addressed that already.

Woodreau

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:29 am

I believe gloves on military aircraft are for flash protection in the event of fire.

There is nothing about a civilian pilots uniform that is safe in a fire. I.e synthetic materials that have a low melting point

glen

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Woodreau wrote:
There is nothing about a civilian pilots uniform that is safe in a fire. I.e synthetic materials that have a low melting point

That's not necessarily true for all carriers. The outside of our uniform is quite resistant to fire. We can use the jacket as a fire blanket.

FlyHossD

Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:04 am

Woodreau wrote:
I believe gloves on military aircraft are for flash protection in the event of fire.

Many years ago, I flew with a captain who wore Nomex gloves for all take-offs and landings (B-727). IIRC, he had a relative who'd been burned in an aircraft accident and essentially lost the use of his hands.

readytotaxi

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:08 pm

Some Concorde pilots used to wear gloves, there have been pictures on here.

Natflyer

Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Woodreau wrote:

Cheap airlines provide cheap junk uniforms. Others do better. Why have flame retardand seat covers if your cabin crew uniform can easily ignite?