Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Does anyone know what the highest thrust JT8D engine was ever used on a Boeing 737-100?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:15 am

Or does anyone know a source for this information, preferably an online source without a pay wall? Could a Boeing 737-100 take any version of the Pratt and Whitney turbofan up to the -17R? Not interested in if this would or would not make economic sense. The 737-100 wasn't that popular compared to its bigger brothers and I am assuming that it was matched with the best JT8Ds for its mission. Perhaps a private owner had a -100 with higher thrust powerplants than the airlines used? Thanks in advance for any information.

Older versions of "Jane's All the World's Aircraft" might have some of this information but I don't have access to that source. The Boeing website provides data on the 737-100 with the JT8D-7 engines. Flugzeuginfo.net gives data for the -100 with the JT8D-15 engines. " Aviation Week and Space Technology Magazine" and "Flight International Magazine" has issues that might answer this, but I don't have access to those issues.

CrewBunk

Re: Does anyone know what the highest thrust JT8D engine was ever used on a Boeing 737-100?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:11 am

I am not sure what has been certified, but the largest I’ve seen is the -9A.

I don’t think larger were used, as the 737-100 was limited by MTOW as well as fuel volume capacity. There wasn’t really much need for a higher thrust engine.

With the improved aerodynamics of the 737 Advanced starting with the -200, as well as the higher gross weight options and a fourth fuel tank, a higher thrust engine was advantageous.

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Re: Does anyone know what the highest thrust JT8D engine was ever used on a Boeing 737-100?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:26 am

Thank you CrewBunk. That is very helpful.

Someone pointed me to a document called "The DOT FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet." Sept 01, 2010. According to this document the following are approved Boeing 737-100 Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney JT8D-7, JT8D-7A, JT8D-7B, JT8D-9, JT8D-9A and JT8D-15.

So I guess the JT8D-15 was the highest thrust engine offered on the Boeing 737-100. That being said and unless someone else has more information, how can one find performance data on the -100 with the -15 engines? Is there some source for that kind of information? I have several books on the Boeing 737 and can't find that information. Anyone with ideas?

Would it be a reasonable assumption that the 737-100 with the JT8D-15 engines would provide better takeoff performance than the lower thrust powerplants. And better initial ROC performance? Or is this an unreasonable assumption?

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:39 am

The model has been out of service for a very long time, what’s the interest here?

Take-off performance is not merely thrust-weight ratios. High thrust, given the airframe, means higher Vmcg and Vmca, which in turn could mean longer take-off run and different climb gradient. It’s not unusual for derate engine to produce better MTOGW under certain conditions. You have to know the runway, the obstacle gradient, the weather, runway contamination, desired TOGW.

Yes, dry runway, no obstacles, D15 power, if any were installed in a -100, would have a higher ROC and shorter all engines take-off run. Whether it would have a shorter runway requirement accounting for the OEI case is another matter.