Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cjenzid
Topic Author

JFK IAB Arrivals Procedure 1980's

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:09 am

Hi All, First time post for me, not sure this is the right forum.

I am using lockdown time to build JFK in 1988 in Lego, and have used pictures/maps from numerous online sources to get my buildings relatively accurate internally, however the old IAB is challenging. I have walked through the IAB as a visitor in 1988 (im an Aussie), so building departures has been fine, but I dont know what the arrivals process was. Hoping someone on here can walk me through the process from disembarking to accessing the arrivals arch. I have a suspicion there must have been an arrivals corridor along the airside perimeter when the building was expanded and airbridges installed, but the layout, bag belts etc on the lower level is not shown on any maps i have found.

Appreciate any info anyone has, and any plans etc of the old IAB would be awesome, I have used MPAR21's flickr page extensively.

Will share pics of the project if interested when complete.

Thanks CJ

e38

Re: JFK IAB Arrivals Procedure 1980's

Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:55 am

CJ, there was a discussion concerning the layout of the IAB at JFK several weeks ago in the Civil Aviation Forum.

The link is as follows: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1466411. The title of the thread is "JFK Old IAB Layout."

Also, the topic author, "phatfarmlines" seemed to have quite a bit of information on the layout of the International Arrivals Building including some diagrams and photos. You might be able to send a PM to this member for additional information.

e38

Cjenzid
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:24 am

Thanks for the info cheers

blacksoviet

Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:07 pm

Were domestic flights allowed to arrive at the International Arrivals Building?

uclax

Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:17 am

There was a short-lived carrier in the 1990s called Air South that operated out of the IAB to secondary markets in the Southeast, with 737-200s.

blacksoviet

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:37 am

uclax wrote:
There was a short-lived carrier in the 1990s called Air South that operated out of the IAB to secondary markets in the Southeast, with 737-200s.

Did the passengers go through the FIS or did the IAB have domestic gates?

PresRDC

Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:43 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
uclax wrote:

Did the passengers go through the FIS or did the IAB have domestic gates?

Security was done at each gate, so, while i do not know for sure, I suspect for a domestic arrival they would just open the door and send the pax on their merry way. If, by some chance, they were connecting to another IAB flight, they'd need to reclear security at that gate, but would also almost certainly needed to check-in for the connecting flight.