Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tcfc424
Topic Author

Delta A319's noise

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 pm

I am curious about Delta's A319 aircraft and sound levels. Before you lose it, I'm only curious as an anutter, not criticizing/complaining.

I live about 20 miles from AUS and planes fly over all the time, primarily the A32X, B73X types, and they're usually between 3,000 and 6,000 feet. That said, when I'm sitting in my office, the ONLY aircraft I ever hear flying over are the Delta 319's. Literally, when I hear an aircraft, I check Flightaware and it is ALWAYS a Delta A319. I'm wondering if there's something specific to the aircraft that makes it more audible. I've checked other aircraft altitudes and the Delta A319's don't seem to be flying any different than any other aircraft. Thoughts?

jetmatt777

Re: Delta A319's

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:48 pm

This gets brought up from time to time at various places around the world. I believe it has to do with the retractable landing lights creating a harmonic pressure wave at certain speeds.

I believe Airbus implemented a fix at some point in time via a vortex generator or different shape to the housing etc.

AndoAv8R

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:52 pm

I cant speak for the Delta A319's but i have noticed (being about 30nm from Denver International Airport under the approach from the northwest) that the United A319/320's with the IAE2500s do make more noise, especially when they throttle down.

flyboy80

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:17 am

I lived in West L.A. and right around Culver City you would hear it often. The sound is common to the family but I seemed to only notice it with 319/320. It sounds a bit like a cartoon falling bomb sound.

JoseSalazar

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:33 am

https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/ ... ead/557165

Good discussion of it here. I think this is likely what you’re hearing

N965UW

Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:55 am

JoseSalazar wrote:
https://community.infiniteflight.com/t/airbus-a320-family-whistling-sound-new-thread/557165

Good discussion of it here. I think this is likely what you’re hearing

Bingo, this is the sound people most often talk about.

Delta's A319s and A320s (inherited from Northwest) make this sound since they haven't been fitted with vortex generators. Their A321s don't make the sound because they're newer and were delivered from the factory with the generators installed.

CarlosSi

Re: Delta A319's noise

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:09 am

So it's basically a fuel vent sound.

Lol, people can complain about any little sound. Even the a220's whale sound is getting some infamy. Personally I like it. What's next, I don't like the roar of a 767? "The e190 makes a funny sound. It goes 'whooosh', and the neo goes 'fffffff'." Get over it. It's not like it is aggressively loud.

I know there's exceptions we should care for but I never thought it was anything too annoying unless you kept hearing it, but then the real issue is you living within the arrivals.

thewizbizman

Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:26 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
So it's basically a fuel vent sound.

Lol, people can complain about any little sound. Even the a220's whale sound is getting some infamy. Personally I like it. What's next, I don't like the roar of a 767? "The e190 makes a funny sound. It goes 'whooosh', and the neo goes 'fffffff'." Get over it. It's not like it is aggressively loud.

I know there's exceptions we should care for but I never thought it was anything too annoying unless you kept hearing it, but then the real issue is you living within the arrivals.

I don't think anyone was complaining man, they were just genuinely curious as to what was making the noise. Lets all help each other better understand aviation.

theAviationGeek

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:02 pm

CarlosSi wrote:

Literally the OP’s very first sentence states it is a question and not a complaint.

tcfc424 wrote:
I am curious about Delta's A319 aircraft and sound levels. Before you lose it, I'm only curious as an anutter, not criticizing/complaining.

-R

CarlosSi

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:52 pm

theAviationGeek wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Literally the OP’s very first sentence states it is a question and not a complaint.

tcfc424 wrote:

-R

Yeah you think I was referring to the OP complaining? I was talking about PEOPLE in general complaining about every little unusual sound an airplane makes, including that of the a220, and in this case, the a320. It's even in the article.

"It’s because, many people who lives near Airports have been complained a lot about this sound, so airlines have prepared actions against this sound (they needed to find the origins of the sound)"

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-can ... fit-3.html