Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakeCarson
Topic Author

757/767 Flap Position Indicator

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Hi there! Does anyone know what these white spikes mean on the outside of the flap position indicator. There doesn’t seem to be any information on it thats easy to find online and I have asked a few 757/767 pilots who also do not know. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Re: 757/767 Flap Position Indicator

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Do you mean the white arcs outside of the degree markings? Yes, that is easy. The indicator actually has two needles, one for the left and one for the right flap. As on all Boeings, the white arcs give the allowable difference between the left and right flap. If there is an asymmetry where the indicators go outside the bounds of those white arcs, the system stops the flaps and you refer to the abnormal procedures.

JakeCarson
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:57 pm

Yes thats what im talking about. I didnt know it had two needles, makes sense now thanks!

fr8mech

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:45 pm

113312 wrote:
the white arcs give the allowable difference between the left and right flap. If there is an asymmetry where the indicators go outside the bounds of those white arcs,.

I’m not sure that’s quite right.

As I recall, the allowable asymmetry between sides is something like .045” or .050” on the indicator. Those arcs are more like .125”, maybe a little more. Remember, asymmetry protection exists throughout the entire travel of the flaps, not just the stopping points.

Without the books in front of me, I think those arcs represent the allowable range the flaps can stop for that particular setting.

As an aside, unlike earlier Boeing’s, asymmetry protection does not live in the indicator, it’s triggered in the Flap/Slat Elex Unit.