Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kevil
Topic Author

Flight planner with max. segment length

Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Does anyone have a tip for online flight planning where you can enter the start, destination, maximum length of one leg and the program will generate a recommended route with all refueling airports.

Example of input: Sydney, Las Vegas, maximum length of one leg 1500 miles. Embraer Phenom 100 aircraft.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Flight planner with max. segment length

Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:16 pm

ARINC flight planning, requires subscription as most do, but it won’t show best tech stops. You have to plan out where you want to stop. LAS-SYD is tricky with 1500 mile legs without ferry tanks, I’d start with a different plane.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Playing around in GC Mapper, I’m at 8 legs with two legs well beyond 1500 nautical, so they’d have to split up. Those legs are Magadan to Fukuoka and Manila to Darwin. Not a lot of options.

LAS -SEA
SEA-ANC
ANC-PAOM
PAOM-UHMM
UHMM-FUK. Needs a tech stop at 2000 no
FUK-MNL
MNL-DRW Needs a tech stop in Indonesia
DRW-SYD

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LAS-SEA,+S ... NL,MNL-DRW

Kevil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Playing around in GC Mapper, I’m at 8 legs with two legs well beyond 1500 nautical, so they’d have to split up. Those legs are Magadan to Fukuoka and Manila to Darwin. Not a lot of options.

Thank you very much for your advice, great job. I was inspired by the Dangerous Flights season 1 episode 5 (move the slider to 16:53). I was curious if I can find a better route.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:22 pm

A lot would depend on the individual trip—weather, alternates, fuel price and availability, handling and crew preference.

2300km equals 1200 nmi which accounts for them making 14 stops. A lot of overflight permits, handling fees, etc. The Lear guys I know that ferried to Asia/Australia visited all those places. The RFE stops of Khabarovsk, Petropavlovsk, and Magadan were commonly used, Anadyr wasn’t necessary and Nome might be better, if winds allowed. Nome Customs would have to approve a Permit to Proceed rather than clear in the flight which can be a problem.

Kevil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:07 pm

It's a pity that the Phenom couldn't make MDY-ADK 1,634 mi which would allowed them to fly over South Pacific.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Kevil wrote:
It's a pity that the Phenom couldn't make MDY-ADK 1,634 mi which would allowed them to fly over South Pacific.

That might have worked except for both ends—no viable alternates. MDY weather is likely not a problem outside of goony bird season (Nov-Jun, night ops only)but Adam has troublesome weather and alternates with legal weather are a long ways off. DUT is 380 nm and CDB is 550.

Here’s what a mid-PAC routing would look like. Issues are landings are remote locations without alternates, less an issue in the tropics maybe, using Wake may or may not be permitted for transients. Wake was USMIL only, but accessible as an enroute emergency alternate for commercial operators.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SYD-BNE,BN ... EA,Sea-LAS

Or using nautical miles,

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SYD-BNE%2C ... =wls&DU=nm

Nice problem to work