Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rjsampson
Topic Author

Does moving from the A32x to the A32xNEO require differences training?

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:54 pm

If so, how extensive would is it?

...and I suspect compared to the 737 MAX (pre-tragedy), the differences training would be far less involved?

Starlionblue

Re: Does moving from the A32x to the A32xNEO require differences training?

Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:01 am

I don't have concrete info but I don't think so. AFAIK the cockpits are identical.

You'd have to know that there are differences in things like weights and engine startup and cooldown times. But that's pretty much what would you need to know if a new tail with a slightly different spec was added to the fleet anyway.

Woodreau

Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:05 am

One 5 minute differences cbt training module.

Different numbers to remember for limitations.

Different number to freak out about when the dispatcher plans you to have 4400lbs EFOB at destination, you reach for the phone to request 2000lb more fuel then you realize you’re on a NEO and that is perfectly acceptable for a NEO but not a CEO

The planes are not treated as a different type, they are considered basically the same aircraft. You can fly all 6 319/320/321 ceo and NEO airframes on a 2 day trip.

StTim

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:34 pm

The advantages of an established FBW infrastructure and a frame with sufficient ground clearance to hang engines with bigger fans.

Flow2706

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:17 pm

Yes, they are only variants, it's only CBT training. In my current company we have A320/321/CEO/NEO, so far I haven't flown the NEO yet but I did the CBT and I am therefore allowed to fly the NEO if it shows up on my roster. I heard the takeoff and landing are a bit different due to an updated rotation/flare law and that the speed margin at optimum flight level is quite small in the NEO compared to the CEO, but other than that there are not so many differences. The only thing that requires practical training the the semi-automatic emergency exit on the A321NEO. You have to open it once during the emergency training in the cabin mockup, that's about it...

Woodreau

Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:34 am

The first time I reached cruise in a 320NEO when the aircraft transitioned from THR CLB to MACH, The barely audible engines became imperceptible. I thought I had just experienced a dual engine failure not hearing the engines at all and only hearing airflow noise around the flight deck.

I had to double check the engine parameters on the Upper ECAM to really confirm the engines were still running.

on some NEOs, the engines generate an annoying harmonic in cruise flight which sound like unsynced props on a turboprop. The noise is only in the flight deck. Step aft into the forward galley the sound is not there. Unlike a turboprop you can’t make it go away by nudging a prop lever to synchronize the props. You have to put up with harmonic until the descent.

milhaus

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:57 am

It depends on Your position, if You are pilot its just cbt, if You are engineer You will need 2-3 days of theory and one day practical for each engine.

tmu101

Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:39 pm

Slightly off topic but how much difference training is required between an A32X aircraft flown with the CFM International engines versus the IAE VS engines (assuming CEO A32X)?

stratable

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:57 am

Woodreau wrote:
The first time I reached cruise in a 320NEO when the aircraft transitioned from THR CLB to MACH, The barely audible engines became imperceptible. I thought I had just experienced a dual engine failure not hearing the engines at all and only hearing airflow noise around the flight deck.

I had to double check the engine parameters on the Upper ECAM to really confirm the engines were still running.

on some NEOs, the engines generate an annoying harmonic in cruise flight which sound like unsynced props on a turboprop. The noise is only in the flight deck. Step aft into the forward galley the sound is not there. Unlike a turboprop you can’t make it go away by nudging a prop lever to synchronize the props. You have to put up with harmonic until the descent.

Any idea why this harmonic only occurs on some aircraft?

Flow2706

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:44 am

tmu101 wrote:
Slightly off topic but how much difference training is required between an A32X aircraft flown with the CFM International engines versus the IAE VS engines (assuming CEO A32X)?

I don’t remember doing any difference training for CFM/IAE but maybe it was already included in the type rating. The differences are quite minor, probably the most noticeable difference is that the main parameter on IAE is EPR whereas on CFM it’s N1. IAE engines have a „Degraded N1 mode“ which becomes active under certain abnormal conditions (when the EPR control mode is not available due to failures), but it’s not rocket science…other than that it’s mostly different limitations (Oil quantity, N1/2/EGT limits etc). They handle slightly differently during landing and taxi as well as the idle thrust of the IAE engine is higher than on the CFM engine, but this is nothing that could really be discussed by a ground course.