Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Acey
Topic Author

New ORD Runway Configurations

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:18 pm

What's going on with 9R/27L and 10R/28L? I don't see either of them NOTAM closed but it appears neither is being used. Just surprised to see 22L in west flow still being used for departures with 5 parallels seemingly in play.

From what I've seen east flow right now looks like

Land: 9L, 10C
Depart: 9C at FF, 10L at DD

West flow:

Land: 27R, 27C, 28C
Depart: 28R at N5, 22L

Marathon taxi for 9L landers passing behind 9C departures on KK. :o

Acey
Topic Author

Re: New ORD Runway Configurations

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:49 pm

They're now landing 10R as well, so disregard... still not sure why 9R/27L is not in use though. Must still be under construction.

CarlosSi

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 pm

If I’m not mistake. 9R/27L is going to be extended to 13 or 11000 feet, so maybe it’s construction. On some relatively new charts you couldn’t tell it was closed unless yeah you look at the notam.

I’m confused as the airport diagram and the runway info (on ForeFlight…) appear to indicate differently.

It’s not indicating closed either.

SteelChair

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:21 pm

As someone who watched the OMP (O'Hare Modernization Project) from the beginning its fascinating to see it finally all coming together. Aviation is such a powerful economic engine.

Acey
Topic Author

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:07 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
It’s not indicating closed either.

Yeah the latest airport diagram shows 9R as complete. The project website says arrivals would be limited on it while they complete the ILS, but I haven't heard any movements on it at all.

lightsaber

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:17 am

Is there a link to the status? This project has gone at such a glacial pace, I lost track of what has been completed and what is expected say within 2 years.

A shame this wasn't done when ORD was competing to be the largest airport by passenger traffic.

Lightsaber

adipasqu

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:49 am

Below is the current Construction Notice from the NOTAM for ORD and it appears everything is now open:

https://nfdc.faa.gov/xwiki/bin/download ... es/ord.pdf

It does state that "RWY 09R CLSD TO LD" until April 1, so no landings on 09R. There are a lot of NOTAMS for 09R/27L:

!ORD 02/083 ORD RWY 09R ALS U/S 2102011249-2207292000EST
!ORD 02/131 ORD NAV ILS RWY 27L LOC/GP/DME/IM U/S 2102231930-2207142000
!ORD 02/132 ORD RWY 27L PAPI U/S 2102231932-2207142000
!ORD 02/133 ORD RWY 27L ALS U/S 2102231934-2207142000
!ORD 02/135 ORD RWY 09R PAPI U/S 2102231939-2207142000
!ORD 02/134 ORD NAV ILS RWY 09R LOC/GP/DME U/S 2102231938-2207142000
!ORD 12/190 ORD RWY 09R CLSD TO LDG 2112021940-2204011700
!ORD 12/191 ORD RWY 27L DECLARED DIST: TORA 10260FT TODA 10260FT ASDA 10260FT LDA
10260FT. 2112021940-2204011700
!ORD 12/192 ORD RWY 09R DECLARED DIST: TORA 11260FT TODA 11260FT ASDA 11260FT LDA 0FT
2112021940-2204011700

atcdan

Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:24 am

For anyone who may be unfamiliar, the FAA maintains and certifies all navigational equipment including ILSs. Moving a threshold requires a new glide slope at the very least, and then the glide slope ILS must be checked for terrain and obstruction clearance, the idea being that if you’re cleared for the ILS 9R you have a cone of protection around the ILS beams where your plane can deviate slightly and not run into anything.

All I know is this process takes time to complete and is likely why they aren’t able to land that runway yet.

adipasqu

Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:30 pm

atcdan wrote:
For anyone who may be unfamiliar, the FAA maintains and certifies all navigational equipment including ILSs. Moving a threshold requires a new glide slope at the very least, and then the glide slope ILS must be checked for terrain and obstruction clearance, the idea being that if you’re cleared for the ILS 9R you have a cone of protection around the ILS beams where your plane can deviate slightly and not run into anything.

All I know is this process takes time to complete and is likely why they aren’t able to land that runway yet.

Obviously any new or changed ILS infrastructure would need to be calibrated and tested after the runway is complete, but what about RNAV and GPS based approaches? Since they know where the new threshold will be, presumably they (the FAA) could get those going sooner since all they really need are the GPS coordinates of the new threshold and could test while other work on the ILS infrastructure continues? I assume 09R/27L will be used more for departures than landings in general, so will it get a full complement of ILS and RNAV approaches?

Acey559

Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:40 am

All runways are complete as of early December. I saw a PowerPoint regarding runway configurations but it was at work and I don't have access to it. What I do recall is that there is a required burn-in period to utilize the ILS and an extended burn-in to meet low visibility CAT II/III minimums. I believe they said the runway will be available for CAT I around spring and CAT II/III around late summer.

With that being said, 9R/27L will rarely if ever be used for landings as it is pretty much exclusively a departure runway. Not to say it'll never happen, but it would be nonstandard according to ORD ATC told us.

DL717

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:14 am

atcdan wrote:

They usually sync this up with the project, fly it, then publish the procedure shortly thereafter. I’ve seen them use temporary threshold bars to do the flight check. Usually set up the Localizer approach first, then bring up the Glideslope the day the procedure goes live. Usually takes 2-3 years to coordinate things so the flight check is completed within a couple of days of the IFP going live.

DL717

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:16 am

adipasqu wrote:
atcdan wrote:

Obviously any new or changed ILS infrastructure would need to be calibrated and tested after the runway is complete, but what about RNAV and GPS based approaches? Since they know where the new threshold will be, presumably they (the FAA) could get those going sooner since all they really need are the GPS coordinates of the new threshold and could test while other work on the ILS infrastructure continues? I assume 09R/27L will be used more for departures than landings in general, so will it get a full complement of ILS and RNAV approaches?

Everything requires a flight check. At ORD they have the luxury of multiple runways making the process pretty straight forward where if there is a delay, they can flight check it and wait for the next pub cycle if there is a problem.

atcdan

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:21 pm

DL717 wrote:
atcdan wrote:

They usually sync this up with the project, fly it, then publish the procedure shortly thereafter. I’ve seen them use temporary threshold bars to do the flight check. Usually set up the Localizer approach first, then bring up the Glideslope the day the procedure goes live. Usually takes 2-3 years to coordinate things so the flight check is completed within a couple of days of the IFP going live.

For sure, I was just suggesting one possibility, and it’s not just flight check that has to be done, it must have. TERPS procedure done. Just as an example, the PAPI for 24R/24L at LAX was out of service for three years because there were cranes being used for construction 1 1/4 miles away that went into the protected zone of the approach path.

There could also be noise abatement agreements regarding the runway use at various times of day etc.