Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

On the DC-10, what is the function of the "gear horn off" button other than the obvious.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Can someone explain this. Is there such a control on every airliner?

77west

Re: On the DC-10, what is the function of the "gear horn off" button other than the obvious.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:41 pm

convair880mfan wrote:
Can someone explain this. Is there such a control on every airliner?

On other aircraft it may be called something different such as Ground Proximity Gear Horn Override.

Essentially does what it says if you are in a situation that involves flying close to terrain as part of a normal approach procedure, think Innsbruck or Queenstown, and it is not yet time for Gear Down, it stops the horn blaring away at you.

FlapOperator

Re: On the DC-10, what is the function of the "gear horn off" button other than the obvious.

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:17 pm

Also if you need to retard a throttle for an emergency procedure like Engine Fire/Failure.

LyleLanley

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:01 pm

Some things really are as simple as it sounds. Similar to resetting the Master Warning or Master Caution when you're working an issue but it'll come back on if something else breaks, by pressing the gear horn button you're telling the jet "Yeah, yeah. I know" and if anything else changes it'll go off again.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:15 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
Some things really are as simple as it sounds. Similar to resetting the Master Warning or Master Caution when you're working an issue but it'll come back on if something else breaks, by pressing the gear horn button you're telling the jet "Yeah, yeah. I know" and if anything else changes it'll go off again.

Except, if you don’t advance the throttles far enough to reset the gear warning horn. Yes, old types like my namesake. Travis crew at the end of 4.5 hour local, planned no-flap landing, so low throttle position but usually enough to reset the silenced horn. But our heroes were a little light, little higher than usual, silenced the horn but never needed enough thrust to reset the horn. Long slide on the belly. Not good news for the IP in the right seat, especially after a general had earlier said the next gear up landing was an FEB. I think, IIRC, a good guy who suffered through the inevitable to fly again.

Most systems today use a variety of inputs to not require pilots to silence the horn except in very unusual conditions. The Global’s gear warning shocked me when it went off due to low radar altitude during a photo shoot.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:17 pm

It was the engineer’s job to silence the horn on the 727. Not taught anytime before the captain on your first flight growled, “why didn’t silence the horn”.

Woodreau

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:31 am

I don't think modern airplanes have it. (But that is my uneducated opinion since I am only familiar with the 320) The closest function on the 320 is GPWS override.

On the 1900, the Gear Horn override was used every flight. Since the condition which caused the gear horn to go off was insufficient power to maintain flight while the gear was retracted, they positioned the gear override button in front of the power levers so you couldn't override and operate the power levers simultaneously... you had to hear the warning as you triggered it or you needed the other pilot to override the horn so you (and all of the passengers onboard) didn't hear it.

However the pilots figured out the workaround that was taught to everyone once you hit the line, you put your index finger on the gear horn override button, pushed and held the button while simultaneously using your elbow to mash the power levers to idle. then release the button... no gear horn. of course if you forgot to release the friction lock it was harder to do this.

tb727

Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:39 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It was the engineer’s job to silence the horn on the 727. Not taught anytime before the captain on your first flight growled, “why didn’t silence the horn”.

I had one FE think it was cute to wedge a tic tac container under it to keep it from going off. After a quick a-- chewing I don't think he ever did that again. No cheating.

A funny story in the 20 series Learjet. We had a Captain that would put his hand on the thrust lever and point with his pinky and nod towards the gear silence switch. The switch was right next to the gear handle and the new FO thought he wanted the gear down. Well, down went the gear, I'm surprised the gear doors stayed on!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:12 am

Woodreau wrote:
I don't think modern airplanes have it. (But that is my uneducated opinion since I am only familiar with the 320) The closest function on the 320 is GPWS override.

On the 1900, the Gear Horn override was used every flight. Since the condition which caused the gear horn to go off was insufficient power to maintain flight while the gear was retracted, they positioned the gear override button in front of the power levers so you couldn't override and operate the power levers simultaneously... you had to hear the warning as you triggered it or you needed the other pilot to override the horn so you (and all of the passengers onboard) didn't hear it.

However the pilots figured out the workaround that was taught to everyone once you hit the line, you put your index finger on the gear horn override button, pushed and held the button while simultaneously using your elbow to mash the power levers to idle. then release the button... no gear horn. of course if you forgot to release the friction lock it was harder to do this.

Early Citations were identical, right thumb on button, right elbow reduces thrust.

bigb

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:58 pm

GPWS override is the closest. It’s mainly if you are needing to do an approach using less than normal landing flaps for landing.

litz

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:29 pm

That must be really darned interesting on the jets that are now converted fire bombers ...

It'd wake you up on every pass, over every hilltop.

N1120A

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

Except, if you don’t advance the throttles far enough to reset the gear warning horn. Yes, old types like my namesake. Travis crew at the end of 4.5 hour local, planned no-flap landing, so low throttle position but usually enough to reset the silenced horn. But our heroes were a little light, little higher than usual, silenced the horn but never needed enough thrust to reset the horn. Long slide on the belly. Not good news for the IP in the right seat, especially after a general had earlier said the next gear up landing was an FEB. I think, IIRC, a good guy who suffered through the inevitable to fly again.

Most systems today use a variety of inputs to not require pilots to silence the horn except in very unusual conditions. The Global’s gear warning shocked me when it went off due to low radar altitude during a photo shoot.

The controller didn't give them a Check Wheels Down?

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:50 pm

N1120A wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
LyleLanley wrote:

The controller didn't give them a Check Wheels Down?

Wasn’t the first time a controller asked for a gear check and got an affirm for an answer. An A-10 landed gear up right in front of the RSU who was there just to prevent it from happening. The tower tape had the beeper going as the “gear down” call was made. TAC got rid of RSU awhile later, might have been after the F-16 guy did a touch and go on the belly, landed and parked thinking no one saw it. The scraps and broken ventral fins gave him away. Can’t make this up.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:02 pm

Unlike the old 707 or 727, the gear horn will not sound when the flaps are up and the thrust levers are retarded to idle. But in the regime where you would normally need the gear extended, and they are not with the thrust levers retarded you would get a horn that you would want to cancel. Of course, you cannot cancel the gear horn close to the ground with flaps in the landing position. I cannot recall the last time I used that button in a DC-10.

Canuck600

Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:11 pm

litz wrote:
That must be really darned interesting on the jets that are now converted fire bombers ...

It has probably been disabled for that very reason.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:43 pm

I’d guess the STC for the conversion as an interlock so when the discharge system is armed or on, the gear warning is inhibited. The tricky one is amphibians, gear UP for water, gear DN for runways.

rjsampson

Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:55 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
litz wrote:

It has probably been disabled for that very reason.

I would hope that it hasn't been disabled. I'd bet it would go off on close hilltop passes, but it's still an aircraft that needs to fly land safely, sometimes in IMC. I know that I'd certainly want that functionality for safety.