Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LachieTheMaddog
Topic Author

What do the different SQ 777 safety cards mean?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 pm

Hi, I’m hoping someone with a little insight into Singapore Airlines’ operations can help me out a bit.
I recently noticed there are three safety cards for the SQ 777-200ER:
- “777-200” grey safety card
- “777-200ER” reddish-brown safety card
- “777-200ER (Applicable to 9V-SVA, SVD, SVF, SVH, & SVO only)” light blue safety card

I read somewhere that all SQ 772s were either 777-212ERs or derated 777-212/ERs. So why is there a Classic 777-200 safety card, when there’s already a 777-200ER card?
Moreover, why did they develop a special 777-200ER card for those five registrations? What was special about those aircraft? Why would 9V-SVH be any different from 9V-SRO, for example.

I have all three safety cards laid out in front of me and the only difference I can see is the Business class PFDs are on a different part of the seat. But did that really require a whole new safety card for such a minor change?
I’ve got all three A350 cards (A350-900, A350-M, and A350-U) and those have actual differences such as no Premium Economy class or a completely different J Class. But it just seems pointless to me to have three different safety cards for such a minor difference.

Another thing that confuses me is that the 777-300 and 777-300ER just have one safety card each. Why would there be so many variations of 777-200ER, yet all the stretched 777s are identical?

I’m not sure how to attach photos unfortunately, if someone can help me with that I’m happy to post multiple photos of each card.

Starlionblue

Re: What do the different SQ 777 safety cards mean?

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:28 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but the easiest method to attach photos is to upload them to an image service like Imgur ( http://www.imgur.com/ ), and embed them from there.

77west

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:27 am

LachieTheMaddog wrote:
Hi, I’m hoping someone with a little insight into Singapore Airlines’ operations can help me out a bit.
I recently noticed there are three safety cards for the SQ 777-200ER:
- “777-200” grey safety card
- “777-200ER” reddish-brown safety card
- “777-200ER (Applicable to 9V-SVA, SVD, SVF, SVH, & SVO only)” light blue safety card

I read somewhere that all SQ 772s were either 777-212ERs or derated 777-212/ERs. So why is there a Classic 777-200 safety card, when there’s already a 777-200ER card?
Moreover, why did they develop a special 777-200ER card for those five registrations? What was special about those aircraft? Why would 9V-SVH be any different from 9V-SRO, for example.

I have all three safety cards laid out in front of me and the only difference I can see is the Business class PFDs are on a different part of the seat. But did that really require a whole new safety card for such a minor change?
I’ve got all three A350 cards (A350-900, A350-M, and A350-U) and those have actual differences such as no Premium Economy class or a completely different J Class. But it just seems pointless to me to have three different safety cards for such a minor difference.

Another thing that confuses me is that the 777-300 and 777-300ER just have one safety card each. Why would there be so many variations of 777-200ER, yet all the stretched 777s are identical?

I’m not sure how to attach photos unfortunately, if someone can help me with that I’m happy to post multiple photos of each card.

I believe the 777-200ER was the only type, they never operated the -200A. However, as they deployed them on both regional medium haul routes as well as long haul routes, they had part of the fleet "paper" derated to lower MTOW and engine power to reduce costs and wear & tear. So you end up with a regional interior with different seating layout to the long-haul fleet, additionally you may end up over the production run with different "monument" locations, IE the galleys and lavatories. There is not always an obvious reason but you may, over a number of years, incorporate new features that were not available on the initial production run, such as the overhead crew rests and updated cabin interior options, different raft locations etc all of which will result in the possibility of a sub-sub fleet, requiring a legal safety card update, even for what you may think are minor differences.

As to why the -300 only has one, it would be most likely because all were delivered to the same production standard, safety equipment location and interior layout.

Are you sure the -300ER has only one - as there is both a 3-class and 4-class version which looking at the seat layout should have a separate card for each type.

LachieTheMaddog
Topic Author

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:38 am

77west wrote:
Are you sure the -300ER has only one - as there is both a 3-class and 4-class version which looking at the seat layout should have a separate card for each type.

Thanks for your reply!
My 777-300ER card doesn’t have “Applicable to …” on it so I just assumed there was only one, maybe I’ll have to do a bit more digging!

Woodreau

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:04 am

Don’t think this applies to singapores 777s, but our Airlines 320s are all have identical cabins and emergency equipment but there are 3 different safety cards (each with a different color) and the cards are not interchangeable. The only difference is that one set of safety cards are for French assembled 320s, second set for German assembled 320s and a third set for US assembled 320s.

CrewBunk

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:33 am

We have safety cards within our separate fleets which differ. It doesn’t matter about engines installed, cabin layout, etc …. what really matters is actual safety equipment. It is after all, a safety card.

For example we had two versions of the 767-300ER safety card as the exit layout differed. In fact we had two versions of the 767-200, A320 and A319 as some were equipped for overwater operations while some were not. Going back even further, the DC-8-61 and DC-8-63 cards were identical. Same thing with the DC-9-15 and DC-9-32 … same exit layout, same equipment, same card.

If you don’t know, the best thing you can do is to lay them side by side, peruse every inch of them and spot the difference. If they appear the same, check the dates, sometimes airlines issue new cards, with identical contents to match the cover format with the rest of their fleet.