Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hitower3
Topic Author

Night Curfew vs. Emergency Landing

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Dear a.netters,

I am living not too far away from Vienna airport (VIE / LOWW) in Austria. This airport observes a night curfew between 23:00 and 6:00 local time every night. However to my knowledge, the curfew does not apply for emergency landings. I wonder what kind of preparations the airport (or any airport with a similar regime for that matter) makes to accept diverting aircraft due to technical or medical emergencies.
    Is the control tower in operation 24/24, or would someone from Vienna center ATC take over?
    Is the fire brigade on duty? (I would assume they are, since parked aircraft might develop a problem, or something might occur in the airport buildings etc.)
    What if it's snowing? Will the snow removal teams keep at least one runway clean throughout the night?
I would be grateful if someone could share their knowledge on this matter!

Kind regards,
Hendric

zeke

Re: Night Curfew vs. Emergency Landing

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 pm

As far as I am aware VIE is operational 24/7, there is no curfew. There is an agreement in place limiting the number of movements.

Since it’s operational, it would have ATC, RFF, and airport maintenance.

flybaurlax

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 pm

I would think the EASA rules are similar to FAA in regards to emergencies - pretty much in an emergency you can do whatever you need to do to get down. I don't think it a pilot would consider "hey, they have a curfew, can't land there" if there's a runway ahead that's long enough for the aircraft type.

M564038

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 pm

If airports are closed in emergency, pilots are supposed to find a desolete area and crash the plane while saluting. They are allowed to circle for a bit so the captain can make a motivational speech over the PA and let the passengers call their familys and say their prayers. The passengers that panic gets slapped and told to get a grip, while the others empty the liqour. Rules first after all!

Zeke2517

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:36 pm

M564038 wrote:
If airports are closed in emergency, pilots are supposed to find a desolete area and crash the plane while saluting. They are allowed to circle for a bit so the captain can make a motivational speech over the PA and let the passengers call their familys and say their prayers. The passengers that panic gets slapped and told to get a grip, while the others empty the liqour. Rules first after all!

“How long until you can land this plane?”

“I can’t say.”

“You can tell me, I’m a doctor.”

“Two hours?”

“You… can’t tell me for two hours?”

SoCalPilot

Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:26 pm

Just because an airport has a curfew doesn't necessarily mean it's closed to all arrivals or departures. I've landed at SAN during curfew countless times as a medevac flight. The airport, tower, and FBO are still fully operational, the only difference was that airport ops would come greet me if my company forgot to call and give them a heads up that we were coming.

UPlog

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 am

Yes you can likely use the concrete, but things like tower, ground handling or even ARFF might not be staffed overnight at curfewed airport.

rjsampson

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:32 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
Just because an airport has a curfew doesn't necessarily mean it's closed to all arrivals or departures. I've landed at SAN during curfew countless times as a medevac flight. The airport, tower, and FBO are still fully operational, the only difference was that airport ops would come greet me if my company forgot to call and give them a heads up that we were coming.

SAN's curfew only applies to departures, not arrivals correct?

That has to be one boring shift in the Tower!

N1120A

Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:00 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

SAN's curfew is for departures only, and there are exceptions for departures of medevac flights as well as allowances to justify violations based on mechanical or weather related delays. There are a several commercial arrivals that are often scheduled during the curfew.

The ATC tower at SAN is 24 hours, as is SCT. The FBO at SAN actually isn't 24 hours, but you can park and exit on your own by calling airport ops.

ACDC8

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:38 pm

I don't know if its changed in recent years, but YLW, even though they don't have a curfew, the tower isn't manned 24hrs - after 2300, the airspace class changed as did arrival/departure procedures and any radio calls/assistance would be relayed to YYF who also remotely controlled the runway lights. So, just because a tower isn't manned 24/7, there are ways to move aircraft in and out of an airport.

N1120A

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:07 am

ACDC8 wrote:
I don't know if its changed in recent years, but YLW, even though they don't have a curfew, the tower isn't manned 24hrs - after 2300, the airspace class changed as did arrival/departure procedures and any radio calls/assistance would be relayed to YYF who also remotely controlled the runway lights. So, just because a tower isn't manned 24/7, there are ways to move aircraft in and out of an airport.

Most towered airports in the US don't operate the tower 24 hours. Even some Class C airports, and definitely most, if not all, Class Ds. The airspace simply reverts to Class E or G and those rules apply.

Strebav8or

Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:17 pm

In the world of flight, during an emergency a pilot does three things in order:
1. Aviate - Fly the plane. Nothing else matters. Address the emergency, but maintain safe flight, if at all possible.
2. Navigate - Decide where you are going to go. Is that regional airport with a 7,000 foot runway and no staffing going support you? Is a ditching on a river your best option for survival?
3. Communicate - Once you have achieved the first two, start talking to folks on your radios.

Always make sure you do these in order.