Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cory6188
Topic Author

Why does LHR have "conformance" cutoffs pre-departure?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:36 pm

Through my various trips out of LHR, I know that LHR (or maybe the broader UK - I can't recall from the times I've originated elsewhere) has conformance requirements X number of minutes prior to your flight's departure, when you scan your BP at security.

What's the reason that this is specifically in place at LHR (or the UK more broadly, if that's the case)? I've more than my fair share of close calls going through TSA in the US due to traffic, my own failure to leave for the airport on time, etc. In theory, as long as you make it to the gate by the time they close the door, why should it matter what time you present yourself at security? Checked bags are obviously another story due to the time it takes to screen them and load them on the plane, but when you're loading yourself, I can't see why it'd matter.

Obviously, I realize that the general goal is to make sure that flights aren't delayed due to pax arriving on time. However, what's the rationale for why the UK has this in place versus at the US where as long as you're at the gate in time, you can board? Just a general difference in approach?

rutankrd

Re: Why does LHR have "conformance" cutoffs pre-departure?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm

Simply time to OFF LOAD unaccompanied baggage I suppose.

Breathe

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:37 pm

Cory6188 wrote:
Through my various trips out of LHR, I know that LHR (or maybe the broader UK - I can't recall from the times I've originated elsewhere) has conformance requirements X number of minutes prior to your flight's departure, when you scan your BP at security.

What's the reason that this is specifically in place at LHR (or the UK more broadly, if that's the case)? I've more than my fair share of close calls going through TSA in the US due to traffic, my own failure to leave for the airport on time, etc. In theory, as long as you make it to the gate by the time they close the door, why should it matter what time you present yourself at security? Checked bags are obviously another story due to the time it takes to screen them and load them on the plane, but when you're loading yourself, I can't see why it'd matter.

Obviously, I realize that the general goal is to make sure that flights aren't delayed due to pax arriving on time. However, what's the rationale for why the UK has this in place versus at the US where as long as you're at the gate in time, you can board? Just a general difference in approach?

To get you in the airport as early as possible and attempt to make you spend money either at the coffee shops/food/duty free. :mrgreen: I've heard that some UK airports take a percentage of every sale made from the takings of the retailers they lease space to in the airport. No idea if that's true or not.

tlee1523

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:47 pm

To prevent flight delays, I'd assume.

Here in the US, we have PPBM (Positive Passenger Bag Match) for international departures. That means that if you check your bag and fail to board, your bag has to be offloaded. This can lead to a delayed flight. I'd imagine this is an effort to prevent such instances.

PA110

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:45 pm

For those who checked in online and traveling without checked bags, the security screening might be the airline's first indication that the passenger is actually present.at the airport and on their way to the gate.

N1120A

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm

The physical size of LHR's terminals and their design means that the time to get to the gate can be reasonably long, meaning delays are quite possible if you aren't getting to the security line at that point. For as much as I despise the security at Heathrow, they do move it quite quickly (unless you are exercising your right to not get looked at naked and radiated, then it takes forever), so 25 minutes really isn't a problem.

TUGMASTER

Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:12 pm

That’s not exactly true….
I nearly always by pass the secondary BP scan when you reach the front of the security queue.
It a HAL system to monitor how long it takes you for getting thru the entrance gate of security to the end of the line before you throw your bag through the X-ray machine.
BA have access to when you entered security.
So they at least know your heading in the right direction.
And as PA110 said, if you’ve done also everything online , the 1st time you hit the entrance of security, is the 1st time BA definitely know your actually coming.