Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
x1234
Topic Author
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:53 pm

I remember reading that Air New Zealand had its B77E sub-fleet equipped with ETOPS 330 for AKL-EZE and LATAMs 789 also equipped with ETOPS 330 for the South America to Oceania crossing SCL-AKL/SYD/MEL. The Oceania to South Africa crossing is similar. Does QF have the ETOPS 330 type rating for crossing the Southern Indian Ocean? What ETOPS rating does SQ have on SIN-JNB? There are probably more diversion spots like the Maldives, Mauritius etc in the Indian Ocean versus the South Pacific with only Easter Island IPC and French Polynesia PPT.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17356
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:29 pm

The approval is more related to the airline, not the aircraft. Airlines are approved by regulators (CASA in terms of QF) to conduct ETOPS, not specific aircraft tails. It is that regulatory approval which limits the times and routes they can operate.
 
T54A
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:20 am

zeke wrote:
The approval is more related to the airline, not the aircraft. Airlines are approved by regulators (CASA in terms of QF) to conduct ETOPS, not specific aircraft tails. It is that regulatory approval which limits the times and routes they can operate.


Yes this is true, but different aircraft types and configurations within the same airline will have different ETDO time limits. An 'ABC Airline'' A330 might not have the same EDTO limit as say an A350 from the same airline. Each operator will apply to the regulator for each fleet (assuming all tail numbers have the same configuration) depending on EDTO required. Or no?
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Sun May 01, 2022 10:24 am

T54A wrote:
zeke wrote:
The approval is more related to the airline, not the aircraft. Airlines are approved by regulators (CASA in terms of QF) to conduct ETOPS, not specific aircraft tails. It is that regulatory approval which limits the times and routes they can operate.


Yes this is true, but different aircraft types and configurations within the same airline will have different ETDO time limits. An 'ABC Airline'' A330 might not have the same EDTO limit as say an A350 from the same airline. Each operator will apply to the regulator for each fleet (assuming all tail numbers have the same configuration) depending on EDTO required. Or no?


You are correct, but so is Zeke. It really depends on the regulator, but several regulators do indeed impose specific requirements on the airframe itself, hence why we have ETOPS and non-ETOPS frames of the same type with the same operator. (Several American operators for example will print ETOPS on the nose gear doors to help differentiate. Didn't help much a few years ago when An A321 I believe went to Hawaii and it was not ETOPS approved/equipped)
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17356
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Sun May 01, 2022 12:46 pm

ETOPS/EDTO approvals are like other add on approvals to an AOC, like LVO, RNP, RVSM, EFBs etc. these really have nothing to do with individual aircraft or individual types, they are granted when the operator has demonstrated they have the necessary procedures, training, maintenance, and operational oversight in place to conduct ETOPS operations under the AOC. How an airline wants to operate different aircraft within their fleet is their prerogative, there is no requirement to have every type within the airline operated as ETDO, no requirement for every aircraft within a type to be operate EDTO. They are commercial decisions that the regulator does not control.
 
benjjk
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:29 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Wed May 04, 2022 7:10 am

I believe QF have 330-minute ETOPS. Years back, they were limited to I think 180 so required the 747s for those routes, but those days are gone.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2659
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Thu May 05, 2022 6:08 pm

77west wrote:
T54A wrote:
zeke wrote:
The approval is more related to the airline, not the aircraft. Airlines are approved by regulators (CASA in terms of QF) to conduct ETOPS, not specific aircraft tails. It is that regulatory approval which limits the times and routes they can operate.


Yes this is true, but different aircraft types and configurations within the same airline will have different ETDO time limits. An 'ABC Airline'' A330 might not have the same EDTO limit as say an A350 from the same airline. Each operator will apply to the regulator for each fleet (assuming all tail numbers have the same configuration) depending on EDTO required. Or no?



You are correct, but so is Zeke. It really depends on the regulator, but several regulators do indeed impose specific requirements on the airframe itself, hence why we have ETOPS and non-ETOPS frames of the same type with the same operator. (Several American operators for example will print ETOPS on the nose gear doors to help differentiate. Didn't help much a few years ago when An A321 I believe went to Hawaii and it was not ETOPS approved/equipped)


Do airlines ever put a sign in the cockpit indicating whether or not an aircraft is equipped for ETOPS?
 
T54A
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Thu May 05, 2022 8:38 pm

Not in the airline I operated. All the airframes of each same type were equally ETOPS/EDTO ‘rated’. Since we operated A340-300, A340-600, A330-200, A330-300 and A350-900 as a multi-fleet (pilots flew all types), we would just check the Computerised Flight Plan had the correct ETOPS (actually EDTO) values for that type. As an example, the A346 has slight different cargo hold fire suppression numbers to the A343. This would have minor effects on very long over water flight where fire suppression was the limiting factor. There are several different EDTO limits. The most limiting factor on each particular flight will determine the EDTO value for that flight.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17356
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Thu May 05, 2022 9:39 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Do airlines ever put a sign in the cockpit indicating whether or not an aircraft is equipped for ETOPS?


The aircraft technical log will indicate if there is any reduction in the capability of the aircraft.
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Thu May 05, 2022 11:45 pm

T54A wrote:
Not in the airline I operated. All the airframes of each same type were equally ETOPS/EDTO ‘rated’. Since we operated A340-300, A340-600, A330-200, A330-300 and A350-900 as a multi-fleet (pilots flew all types), we would just check the Computerised Flight Plan had the correct ETOPS (actually EDTO) values for that type. As an example, the A346 has slight different cargo hold fire suppression numbers to the A343. This would have minor effects on very long over water flight where fire suppression was the limiting factor. There are several different EDTO limits. The most limiting factor on each particular flight will determine the EDTO value for that flight.


SAA or LH by any chance?
 
T54A
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Fri May 06, 2022 7:04 am

77west wrote:
T54A wrote:
Not in the airline I operated. All the airframes of each same type were equally ETOPS/EDTO ‘rated’. Since we operated A340-300, A340-600, A330-200, A330-300 and A350-900 as a multi-fleet (pilots flew all types), we would just check the Computerised Flight Plan had the correct ETOPS (actually EDTO) values for that type. As an example, the A346 has slight different cargo hold fire suppression numbers to the A343. This would have minor effects on very long over water flight where fire suppression was the limiting factor. There are several different EDTO limits. The most limiting factor on each particular flight will determine the EDTO value for that flight.


SAA or LH by any chance?


SAA
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Sat May 07, 2022 8:29 pm

T54A wrote:
77west wrote:
T54A wrote:
Not in the airline I operated. All the airframes of each same type were equally ETOPS/EDTO ‘rated’. Since we operated A340-300, A340-600, A330-200, A330-300 and A350-900 as a multi-fleet (pilots flew all types), we would just check the Computerised Flight Plan had the correct ETOPS (actually EDTO) values for that type. As an example, the A346 has slight different cargo hold fire suppression numbers to the A343. This would have minor effects on very long over water flight where fire suppression was the limiting factor. There are several different EDTO limits. The most limiting factor on each particular flight will determine the EDTO value for that flight.


SAA or LH by any chance?


SAA


Thats what I was leaning towards, not many operators with that exact fleet mix.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17356
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Sun May 08, 2022 1:42 am

T54A wrote:
Not in the airline I operated. All the airframes of each same type were equally ETOPS/EDTO ‘rated’. Since we operated A340-300, A340-600, A330-200, A330-300 and A350-900 as a multi-fleet (pilots flew all types), we would just check the Computerised Flight Plan had the correct ETOPS (actually EDTO) values for that type. As an example, the A346 has slight different cargo hold fire suppression numbers to the A343. This would have minor effects on very long over water flight where fire suppression was the limiting factor. There are several different EDTO limits. The most limiting factor on each particular flight will determine the EDTO value for that flight.


The actual EDTO value itself is essentially immaterial. They will use the correct figure for the aircraft when generating the flight plan, and when we flying the sector we apply the same procedures for the EDTO entry/exit points, critical points etc as annotated on the flight plan.
 
Qantas744er
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:36 am

Re: What ETOPS rating does QF have for SYD-JNB/SCL, future GRU/EZE on the 789?

Tue May 17, 2022 1:58 am

Qantas B789 are approved for EDTO 330 (2169NM)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cubsrule, greg85, hitower3 and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos