Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetB
Topic Author

Help identifying aircraft light

Fri May 20, 2022 11:37 pm

Hello, I bought this aircraft light (probably a wingtip light?) to use in a project, but I'm curious if anyone can help me figure out what type of plane it came from, I'm curious. It's a 28 volt light. The only marking I can see is "GRIMES D-7315-1". Googling that doesn't really come up with anything. Links to photos below. Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/N2 ... xH-Fr-oWlo

aeropix

Re: Help identifying aircraft light

Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Try browsing the Aircraft Spruce and Specialty website. I did a basic search and found many entries referencing Grimes lights. Most of them are "replacement for Grimes XXX.xx" indicating that the Grimes brand may be very old. That stamp on the bottom of your back side pic looks like it was made in November 1958 so there's that. Anyway here is a link to their catalog. Its the biggest supplier of GA parts in North America.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com

airportugal310

Mon May 23, 2022 6:29 pm

There was one hit on the google that indicated it was a Lockheed Martin related part, and judging by the grey paint on the picture you have...kind of ties into something military perhaps

N1120A

Mon May 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Grimes is no longer in business. They were sold to Allied Signal, which then sold to Honeywell. Honeywell do still make aircraft parts, but much of the lighting industry has gone to companies like Whelan and others. Aeropix is right about checking with Spruce - they usually are the best shot to get any of this stuff.

JetB
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2022 11:50 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
There was one hit on the google that indicated it was a Lockheed Martin related part, and judging by the grey paint on the picture you have...kind of ties into something military perhaps

Oh, where did you see it was Lockheed Martin? I did not see that result in Google. I was hoping it was something military, but I was prepared to be disappointed too.

jetmatt777

Tue May 24, 2022 4:33 am

Try Grimes D7315-1. The added hyphen is making your search more complicated; the part number in catalogs does not include it.

The Stock number is: National Stock Number 6220-00-553-8699

Here are some clues to help you along:

"National Stock Number (NSN) 6220-00-553-8699, or NIIN 005538699, (light,navigational,aircraft) was assigned January 1, 1963 in the Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS)."

"The manufacturer part numbers were originally supplied by one supplier."

"This part number has not been procured by the US Government in over 5 years."

"This NSN is unique to one weapons system."

https://www.iso-group.com/NSN/6220-00-553-8699

I am late for dinner but I am a bloodhound for such things, and wish I could continue this search. You are looking for a single aircraft type produced for the military in the late 50's to early 60's, that is no longer in use today (or they would have procured more parts in the last 5 years, likely). Good luck and keep us posted. I love a good hunt.