Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Martinlest
Topic Author

Pokhara VNPK procedures?

Wed May 25, 2022 4:17 pm

A bit of a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone can link me to information showing departure procedures for VNPK (current airport, not the new one coming online soon), 04/22. Taking off (this is an X-Plane question, I should add!) in a single/turbo prop (so with relatively limited climb power) immediately presents terrain issues if you head the 'wrong' way. The airport has no set departure procedures AFAIK (no SID), but there must be a way in which airlines (Yeti or whoever) always navigate their takeoffs for maximum ground clearance. Ideally a Nepali pilot who uses VNPK will see this, but failing that little miracle, any info would be appreciated. I have not been able to find any freely downloadable charts for VNPK either..

Thank you,

Martin

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Pokhara VNPK procedures?

Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 pm

My Jepp say, “VNPK has no known procedures”. Same at nearby VNBL.

Martinlest
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2022 2:14 am

Hi.. Yes, that's right, as I say in my post. But there must be a standard 'procedure' (with a small 'p', as it were) that airlines use when they leave VNPK - in other words, the 'usual' headings flown to get over the peaks. If you just follow your eye, you get into trouble with ridges around the corner that you struggle to get over.

I suppose it unlikely that any of the relatively few people with that knowledge are going to read my query...

77west

Thu May 26, 2022 3:53 am

Martinlest wrote:
Hi.. Yes, that's right, as I say in my post. But there must be a standard 'procedure' (with a small 'p', as it were) that airlines use when they leave VNPK - in other words, the 'usual' headings flown to get over the peaks. If you just follow your eye, you get into trouble with ridges around the corner that you struggle to get over.

I suppose it unlikely that any of the relatively few people with that knowledge are going to read my query...

It is possible the airlines have their own proprietary RNP procedures that are not public. You may be able to approximate it by looking at Flightaware or something like that.

Woodreau

Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm

This is what the Nepal aip has for vnpk

https://e-aip.caanepal.gov.np/_uploads/ ... 1ff205.pdf

I have no idea if it is the new one or the old one.

zeke

Thu May 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Martinlest wrote:
A bit of a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone can link me to information showing departure procedures for VNPK (current airport, not the new one coming online soon), 04/22. Taking off (this is an X-Plane question, I should add!) in a single/turbo prop (so with relatively limited climb power) immediately presents terrain issues if you head the 'wrong' way. The airport has no set departure procedures AFAIK (no SID), but there must be a way in which airlines (Yeti or whoever) always navigate their takeoffs for maximum ground clearance. Ideally a Nepali pilot who uses VNPK will see this, but failing that little miracle, any info would be appreciated. I have not been able to find any freely downloadable charts for VNPK either..

Thank you,

Martin

It would not be all that complicated, just a standard VFR departure. Departing off 04, 500 ft left turn to depart overhead tracking to intercept the 113 radial to KTM. The W41 airway loosely follows a valley to KTM.

zeke

Thu May 26, 2022 3:54 pm

77west wrote:
It is possible the airlines have their own proprietary RNP procedures that are not public. You may be able to approximate it by looking at Flightaware or something like that.

Doubt that, the runways marking and lights are not to IFR standards.

Martinlest
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2022 4:34 pm

Thanks for the links and comments. I haven't actually flown into a hillside on my practice takeoffs - it is quite 'do-able' (though a lot harder to avoid hazardous terrain, I found, than any other VFR route in Nepal I have set up in the past: I sometimes clear terrain by less than 100' or so, which is clearly not good!) but having Googled for a while with no real insight coming up, thought I'd post here.

bluecrew

Thu May 26, 2022 7:23 pm

Martinlest wrote:
Thanks for the links and comments. I haven't actually flown into a hillside on my practice takeoffs - it is quite 'do-able' (though a lot harder to avoid hazardous terrain, I found, than any other VFR route in Nepal I have set up in the past: I sometimes clear terrain by less than 100' or so, which is clearly not good!) but having Googled for a while with no real insight coming up, thought I'd post here.

It's all DHC6's and B190's, probably prescribed VFR tracks that they fly every time to get to the runway as opposed to any sort of procedure you'd see written down anywhere. Certainly nothing charted from what anyone has dug up here.

Best off using your own best judgment and being careful - from the sounds of it I assume you're flying it in a flight simulator. It's probably a very pretty flight.

77west

Thu May 26, 2022 8:38 pm

zeke wrote:
77west wrote:

Doubt that, the runways marking and lights are not to IFR standards.

Fair enough, VFR it is!

Martinlest
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2022 7:52 pm

"..from the sounds of it I assume you're flying it in a flight simulator. It's probably a very pretty flight."

Yes, it is beautiful - full Ortho4XP terrain, zl17. I worked in that region (Eastern Nepal) for several months, so it's quite nostalgic, too!

Yikes!

Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:26 pm

These links might add some insight to your Q's:

https://www.flightera.net/en/airport/Pokhara/VNPK/

and

https://www.yetiairlines.com/content/fleets

VNPK/PKR Rwy 04/22 2,696 feet ASL; 1,433x30M/4,700 x 98 feet/ 0.5 degrees East variation.

They may very well have a strictly VFR departure with racetrack patterns to climb above the MOCA.

And finally, the Nepalese Aviation Authority and access to their AIP:

https://e-aip.caanepal.gov.np/welcome/listall/1