Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakobFB
Topic Author

Crew Rest Question

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:00 pm

Hello!
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
I've been looking into how crew rest works for single aisle long haul services (like the A319LRs, 737 BBJs, A321LRs, and future A321XLR) and have a two questions.
Quick note: I'm interested in EASA rules.

There are some pictures online of (usually business class) seats in the normal passenger cabin that have a curtain around them and can be dedicated for crews.

Assuming you would dedicate two business class seat next to each other for crew rest:
- Could you have two crew members (1 pilot + 1 cabin crew) rest at the same time or would it be for one crew member only at any given time?*
- Reading EASA part ORO.FTL it seems seats around these dedicated crew rest seats may be occupied by passengers. Do I understand it correctly that you could have passengers in the row in front/behind the crew seats and across the aisle?

*I'm actually a bit unsure how the rules are for cabin crew members, do they also need inflight rest like augmented flight crews to extend the max flight duty period?

Heres an image with an example of the type of crew rest area I mean:
https://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/upl ... C06583.jpg

Thanks!

Starlionblue

Re: Crew Rest Question

Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:40 pm

The rules vary per jurisdiction. This is for my operator.

- Pilots may use a business class seat for rest. However. time spent resting in a seat counts less than in a bunk. That is, an hour spent resting in a seat gives you less duty time extension than an hour in the bunk.
- Cabin crew may also rest in economy seats.
- Seats must be "separate" from pax. A lie-flat business class "pod" is already separate. An economy seat or row must be curtained off. And yes, you can have pax around you, but I think not next to you in economy.
- Cabin crew also use seats to extend duty time.

JakobFB
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:28 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

- Pilots may use a business class seat for rest. However. time spent resting in a seat counts less than in a bunk. That is, an hour spent resting in a seat gives you less duty time extension than an hour in the bunk.
- Seats must be "separate" from pax. A lie-flat business class "pod" is already separate. An economy seat or row must be curtained off. And yes, you can have pax around you, but I think not next to you in economy.

Interesting! Thanks for the insight!
Just so I understand it correctly, two adjacent business class seats that are curtained off could have two crew members (like pilot+cabin crew) resting at the same time?

Best Regards

Nicoeddf

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:44 pm

JakobFB wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Just so I understand it correctly, two adjacent business class seats that are curtained off could have two crew members (like pilot+cabin crew) resting at the same time?

Best Regards

Are you planning some cuddle time or why is that so important?

JakobFB
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:04 pm

I'll rephrase as I understand the wording in my previous post could be misinterpreted.
I'm mainly interested in if an entire row (on one side of the aisle) is curtained off to allow several crewmembers to rest at the same time, or if it's just because you can't have passengers in the seats next to them anyways?

Starlionblue

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:25 am

JakobFB wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Best Regards

Yes. But they don't need to be curtained off from each other.

Either way, our long-haul business class seats don't need to be curtained off. They're lie-flat zodiac "pods" which is sufficient to satisfy the "separate and screened from the passengers" requirement.

Crew members don't need to be "separated" from each other, if you will. Cabin crew often rest in adjacent economy seats, e.g. a row of seats which is "separate and screened from the passengers" by a curtain.

Lemmy

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:47 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

Are these rules set by the regulators or negotiated by the pilot's union? Or both?

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:21 am

Lemmy wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Are these rules set by the regulators or negotiated by the pilot's union? Or both?

Yes. :lol: