Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Hazzard333
Topic Author

Starting an airline career in the UK

Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi there,

I’ve just finished school at 18 and am looking to start a career in the airline industry. I’ve had an interest in aircraft for a long time and want to make it my career.

I’m currently going through the process of finding jobs, and am looking at going into an entry level customer facing role (likely either ground/check in agents or cabin crew) and work my way up. I know the media have been running stories about lack of workers in airports and airlines, however from searching job websites (LinkedIn and indeed) this doesn’t really seem to be the case. Here’s what I found from about 6 weeks of searching:

FR seem to be constantly wanting people for one thing or another, and the frequency of them posting adverts implies they are desperate for workers (they post far more listings than any other carrier). However, my parents are not keen on me working for them due to what they perceive as low pay and poor working conditions.

Other LCCs (LS, U2, W6) haven’t posted many adverts for entry-level positions (the ones they do post are for head office jobs that need large amounts of experience and/or special qualifications I don’t have).

BA are constantly wanting experienced head office people, but no entry level jobs.

Ground handling companies such as Swissport and Dnata also have lots of adverts for check in/customer service jobs that don’t need experience.

I feel my main weakness is my lack of experience, though i have good qualifications.

If anyone’s worked in the industry, could you give me a few pointers on where to look (currently I’m only looking on LinkedIn and indeed), which companies are best to work for and when they hire. Should I go with any of the above companies or look elsewhere?

Thanks.

N1120A

Re: Starting an airline career in the UK

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:38 pm

I think a lot of folks in Europe tend to start out with third party ground handling companies, later getting noticed by supervisors at the airlines themselves.

That said, I don't necessarily think FR are such a problem on the ground. I know they have engaged in some questionable stuff with flight deck and cabin crew, but I think the ground market is a bit too competitive to do that. Do they even use their own customer service staff in most places though?

eta unknown

Re: Starting an airline career in the UK

Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:27 pm

Nepotism got me started (and that was when the conditions and salaries were half decent- not anymore), but if I had to do it all again I would chose a different career- I still kick myself for not choosing 2 other options I had at the time (one required a lot of studying for a selection exam, the other was also nepotism, but in a different field). However, I did hear from a senior Menzies cargo manager that if someone joins that division they can rise fairly quickly if they stick around- the turnover rate is massive.