Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeepestBlue
Topic Author

Bulb specification help please!

Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:32 pm

I have a passenger information sign (toilets, no smoking, seatbelts) which was removed from G-BYGG. I'm in the process of refurbishing it and building a switch panel / power supply for it.

It has four panels, each of which has five bulbs. The bulbs in the sign are 3787 type, which are 15mm x 4.7mm, with pin spacing of 3.6mm. They are rated at 28v.

However, inside the sign is stamped "USE LAMP #OL3071 BPE-GPL". OL3071 is a small (8.5mm x 3mm) 5v bulb. Multiple places online list this part number with those dimensions.

Now, to make things more confusing, Boeing also list this bulb, TWICE. One is 12.7mm x 5mm, the other is 17.5mm x 4.8mm. Both are 5v.

So there are multiple versions of this bulb, but they're all 5v, whereas the bulbs in the sign are 28v. Does anyone know what the correct bulbs are for this sign? Thanks!

AA737-823

Re: Bulb specification help please!

Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:27 am

The BPE GPL's are extremely common "peanut" bulbs for PAX signs.
The 3787 bulbs will probably work, but if you're putting the wrong voltage bulbs in, you should expect bulb life problems.
FYI, some vendors will list it as "OL3071" while others will have it as "0L3071." Terrible way to begin a part number...

DL_Mech

Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:27 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
FYI, some vendors will list it as "OL3071" while others will have it as "0L3071." Terrible way to begin a part number...

The OL stands for Oshino Lamp, and I agree a terrible part number.

https://www.oshinolamps.com/aircraft-lamps.html

787SIN

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm

If I recall right the majority of pax signs on the 747-400 were 28VDC 7387 lamps white base/bi pin and these were used in the billboard signs (overhead ceiling signs down the aisles) and the NS/FSB signs in the PSUs rails above the pax seats.

The NS/FSB at the doors and some other places had 387 lamps, also 28V.

All these lamps were supplied by the ACESS system, and in particular wired into specific Overhead Electronics Units (OEUs). You could do a lamps all test and it would tell you where the failed ones were.

Can’t explain the 5VDC lamps as these are used on the emergency lighting system.

Perhaps the panel you have had been modified by BA.

airportugal310

Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:56 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

The OL stands for Oshino Lamp, and I agree a terrible part number.

https://www.oshinolamps.com/aircraft-lamps.html

The "0" vs "O" likely stems from what the system of record the vendor uses allows. I know that TRAX doesn't allow "O" in the part number...so its get converted to a "0". Like "M0bil jet 0il"

Just my thought, and yes, rather archaic