Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
x1234
Topic Author
Posts: 1301
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:54 pm

I know some airlines like EK exlusively use wide-bodies with LD3 containers. Others like the US3 or EU3 use mostly narrowbody and widebodies. What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loading or container loading? Is it true that when loading by container I assume transit bags go into certain containers and final destination bags on the next leg go into other containers as I would think its more effcient.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 21183
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:41 am

Cans are faster at the aircraft itself as they can be pre-loaded with "early" luggage and ready to go. But I don't know if cans save time overall.

All (?) widebodies also have a bulk cargo that is hand loaded and does not use cans. This adds flexibility for last-minute bags, for example.
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 6411
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:53 am

Airlines will look at all the factors. For example, bulk-loaded baggage comes with heavier occupational health rules - lifting all this baggage in a constricted space...
 
889091
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:58 pm

I would think searching for a particular bag(s) to be offloaded in case the pax is a no-show at the gate would be easier if LD3 containers were used. They will know which specific container holds the bag(s).
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8194
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:47 am

889091 wrote:
I would think searching for a particular bag(s) to be offloaded in case the pax is a no-show at the gate would be easier if LD3 containers were used. They will know which specific container holds the bag(s).

It's easier on a widebody provided the right bag is recorded in the right can.

At an airline I was at we had a pax decide not to fly at the last minute. It was my job to make sure the right bag was taken off and in this case it wasn't. The one the ramp did remove was in the rear hold of the 77W, but after I called out they pulled the wrong one the station director wanted to check EVERY can by hand. Thankfully the correct bag was in the first can they decided to check in the forward hold. Flight still left pretty late.

PPBM is no joke and I didn't envy the rampers when they had to check for a narrowbody, but as long as the bags and cans were properly recorded, searching a narrowbody was a lot easier although still has its own challenges.
 
Max Q
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:17 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Cans are faster at the aircraft itself as they can be pre-loaded with "early" luggage and ready to go. But I don't know if cans save time overall.

All (?) widebodies also have a bulk cargo that is hand loaded and does not use cans. This adds flexibility for last-minute bags, for example.



Always thought it ironic the ‘Bulk cargo’ compartment is far smaller than the main cargo hold which accommodates far ‘Bulkier’ containers
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 21183
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:05 am

Max Q wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
Cans are faster at the aircraft itself as they can be pre-loaded with "early" luggage and ready to go. But I don't know if cans save time overall.

All (?) widebodies also have a bulk cargo that is hand loaded and does not use cans. This adds flexibility for last-minute bags, for example.



Always thought it ironic the ‘Bulk cargo’ compartment is far smaller than the main cargo hold which accommodates far ‘Bulkier’ containers


Ha. Never thought of that. :D

But I suppose "bulk" has many definitions.

cargo in an unpackaged mass
 
FGITD
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:41 am

TWA772LR wrote:
889091 wrote:
I would think searching for a particular bag(s) to be offloaded in case the pax is a no-show at the gate would be easier if LD3 containers were used. They will know which specific container holds the bag(s).

It's easier on a widebody provided the right bag is recorded in the right can.

At an airline I was at we had a pax decide not to fly at the last minute. It was my job to make sure the right bag was taken off and in this case it wasn't. The one the ramp did remove was in the rear hold of the 77W, but after I called out they pulled the wrong one the station director wanted to check EVERY can by hand. Thankfully the correct bag was in the first can they decided to check in the forward hold. Flight still left pretty late.

PPBM is no joke and I didn't envy the rampers when they had to check for a narrowbody, but as long as the bags and cans were properly recorded, searching a narrowbody was a lot easier although still has its own challenges.


I’ve lived that nightmare too. Pax manager called down for an offload, the guys took off the “correct” can and couldn’t find the bag but found one that wasn’t scanned onto the flight. I consulted with my boss…Cue offloading the entire plane. Credit where it’s due though, the captain himself came down and sifted through some bags. Finally found it, but in a place it had no business being.

To answer the offload question though…problem with AKEs is you can’t reach them all. So sure, you might know exactly what can the bag is in, but when that was the first of 16 loaded…you’re still offloading at least 7 or 8, and then you still have to sort through by hand and find the right bag. And inevitably the offload bag was the first one loaded in the can.

On a bulk loaded aircraft I’ve seen rampers basically tunnel their way Through to grab an offload.
 
User avatar
WesternDC6B
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:51 pm

How are the cans loaded? By that, I am asking: are they just smaller versions of a cargo hold where the bags are stacked as they fit? Or, are there little shelves, or sub-compartments with mesh nets or some such across them?
 
FGITD
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:58 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
How are the cans loaded? By that, I am asking: are they just smaller versions of a cargo hold where the bags are stacked as they fit? Or, are there little shelves, or sub-compartments with mesh nets or some such across them?


Basically a smaller hold. Usually a metal base/structure with a fiberglass frame. Depending on the size of the container (most common are AKEs) they can hold a different number of bags. AKEs if stacked properly can hold 40-50 bags. Then they’re closed up with some kind of enclosed door, usually a plastic curtain type with some manner of fastening it to the sides and bottom.
 
Acey
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:50 pm

The big difference I see in bulk vs cans is in manpower. At YYC, 3-4 guys can do the front and back of a can-loaded 321 in about the same time as 6-7 guys on a 737.
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 21183
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:31 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
How are the cans loaded? By that, I am asking: are they just smaller versions of a cargo hold where the bags are stacked as they fit? Or, are there little shelves, or sub-compartments with mesh nets or some such across them?



Bulk hold of an A330 here. https://youtu.be/nQbO0UbhK9M

Very boring instructional video on main holds of A330. https://youtu.be/PuMo_rOp7k0
 
shamrock137
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:10 am

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:06 am

Acey wrote:
The big difference I see in bulk vs cans is in manpower. At YYC, 3-4 guys can do the front and back of a can-loaded 321 in about the same time as 6-7 guys on a 737.


6-7 people loading a 737 seems like overkill. US airlines I'm familiar with typically use 3-4 ramp workers per gate working a turn on both 737 and 320/321's.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17398
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:19 am

Acey wrote:
The big difference I see in bulk vs cans is in manpower. At YYC, 3-4 guys can do the front and back of a can-loaded 321 in about the same time as 6-7 guys on a 737.


Also fewer injuries when loaded by containers.
 
Acey
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:59 am

shamrock137 wrote:
Acey wrote:
The big difference I see in bulk vs cans is in manpower. At YYC, 3-4 guys can do the front and back of a can-loaded 321 in about the same time as 6-7 guys on a 737.


6-7 people loading a 737 seems like overkill. US airlines I'm familiar with typically use 3-4 ramp workers per gate working a turn on both 737 and 320/321's.


The other airlines here operating 737 use that same 3-4 ramp crew... but for AC to match the speed they achieve with their can-loaded A320, that is the crew required, which answers the thread title I suppose. It's nearly twice as fast.

There are no can-loaded 320 in the US (to my knowledge) so there's less in terms of comparison data.
 
e38
Posts: 967
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:44 pm

zeke wrote:
Also fewer injuries when loaded by containers.


Could you provide a reference. I think it would be interesting to see the stats re: injuries sustained bulk load vs. container load. Thanks.

e38
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17398
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:50 pm

e38 wrote:
zeke wrote:
Also fewer injuries when loaded by containers.


Could you provide a reference. I think it would be interesting to see the stats re: injuries sustained bulk load vs. container load. Thanks.

e38


Container loading does not require anyone to be bent over inside a hold lifting bags.


https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... PREVENTION
 
FGITD
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:12 pm

zeke wrote:
e38 wrote:
zeke wrote:
Also fewer injuries when loaded by containers.


Could you provide a reference. I think it would be interesting to see the stats re: injuries sustained bulk load vs. container load. Thanks.

e38


Container loading does not require anyone to be bent over inside a hold lifting bags.


https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... PREVENTION


I’d be curious to read more, since it’s not as if AKEs don’t require lifting the bags at all. Instead of being bent over it requires more lifting UP into the cans
 
Acey
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:23 pm

FGITD wrote:
zeke wrote:
e38 wrote:

Could you provide a reference. I think it would be interesting to see the stats re: injuries sustained bulk load vs. container load. Thanks.

e38


Container loading does not require anyone to be bent over inside a hold lifting bags.


https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... PREVENTION


I’d be curious to read more, since it’s not as if AKEs don’t require lifting the bags at all. Instead of being bent over it requires more lifting UP into the cans


Depending on the style of baggage cart used, bulk loading requires the same amount of lifting in the bag room to get the bag in the cart, then heavy lifting by the guy at the bottom putting it on the beltloader, then heavy lifting for the guy in the plane stacking it.

The difference is that lifting heavy bags in the bagroom allows you to have proper lifting form and be far less susceptible to repetitive strain injuries than the awkward lifting in the confined space of the airplane.

I have no "studies" to back this up, but many years ago I worked on the ramp and this is my experience.
 
FGITD
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:39 pm

Acey wrote:
FGITD wrote:
zeke wrote:

Container loading does not require anyone to be bent over inside a hold lifting bags.


https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... PREVENTION


I’d be curious to read more, since it’s not as if AKEs don’t require lifting the bags at all. Instead of being bent over it requires more lifting UP into the cans


Depending on the style of baggage cart used, bulk loading requires the same amount of lifting in the bag room to get the bag in the cart, then heavy lifting by the guy at the bottom putting it on the beltloader, then heavy lifting for the guy in the plane stacking it.

The difference is that lifting heavy bags in the bagroom allows you to have proper lifting form and be far less susceptible to repetitive strain injuries than the awkward lifting in the confined space of the airplane.

I have no "studies" to back this up, but many years ago I worked on the ramp and this is my experience.


Very good point, instead of one loading area there’s multiple. I think I was more focusing on the bent over loading in the bins part. Thankfully I have minimal experience on narrow bodies, and the ones I have worked were containerized.
 
User avatar
exFWAOONW
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:16 pm

Acey wrote:
The big difference I see in bulk vs cans is in manpower. At YYC, 3-4 guys can do the front and back of a can-loaded 321 in about the same time as 6-7 guys on a 737.

Must be nice. I remember working a DC-9 all by myself more times than I can count. That includes unloading bags at the carousel before loading the outbound cargo.
 
Aircellist
Posts: 1728
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 am

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:04 pm

A bit on the side of the topic, but I was surprised to see that TS' A321 ceo are bulk loaded.
 
Acey
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:00 pm

Aircellist wrote:
A bit on the side of the topic, but I was surprised to see that TS' A321 ceo are bulk loaded.

AC appears to be the wildcard in North America with can loading of the 320 family. I'm not aware of anyone else that does.
 
User avatar
ro1960
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:19 am

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:06 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Very boring instructional video on main holds of A330. https://youtu.be/PuMo_rOp7k0


96x125in containers? I didn't know they existed. I thought two LD3 were used side by side. What airlines use these mega containers?
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 21183
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: What is faster in baggage loading, bulk loaded or container loaded?

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:18 am

ro1960 wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
Very boring instructional video on main holds of A330. https://youtu.be/PuMo_rOp7k0


96x125in containers? I didn't know they existed. I thought two LD3 were used side by side. What airlines use these mega containers?


I believe the "double LD3" is an LD6. I've seen them sometimes but not sure who uses them. :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: classicjets and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos