Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanb741
Topic Author

Question about seating arrangements for disabled pax

Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:06 am

I'm flying BKK-LHR on TG with my wife and 8 year old son on 6th Sept. My son is profoundly autistic and also has epilepsy. We have emergency epilepsy medications we take with us.

Anyway long story short there is no option to book seats next to each other and airline is saying there is nothing they can do at this stage as the flight is fully booked other than to wait 24 hours before check in when more seat slots may become available.

My son's ASD would make him extremely anxious if sat without us and he would melt down plus we need to be near him to administer emergency epilepsy meds if needed. I managed to get a doctor letter stating his medical conditions and that we should be sat together.

From an operational standpoint does anyone have experience of how this is likely to be addressed? Surely an airline isn't going to sit an 8 year old ASD child with epilepsy on their own? If so we would have to refuse the flight.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

zeke

Re: Question about seating arrangements for disabled pax

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:26 am

TG are generally very good with this, I would go to the airport as early as possible. Additionally once you get on the jet, many passengers especially from BKK where it is culturally considered to be good for the spirit to look after the fellows around you would be empathetic.

The only limitations I could foresee would be bot being able to occupy an emergency row exit seat.

DocLightning

Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:07 am

ryanb741 wrote:
From an operational standpoint does anyone have experience of how this is likely to be addressed? Surely an airline isn't going to sit an 8 year old ASD child with epilepsy on their own? If so we would have to refuse the flight.

I've gotten into this a few times with my son (he's healthy and developmentally appropriate, but he's 2). Of course the airline isn't going to allow an unaccompanied minor with special needs (or a toddler) to sit next to a total stranger. Nor does the total stranger want that. So on arrival you have a chat with gate staff and they can move other passengers around to make sure you can sit together.

FGITD

Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:53 pm

DocLightning wrote:
ryanb741 wrote:

I've gotten into this a few times with my son (he's healthy and developmentally appropriate, but he's 2). Of course the airline isn't going to allow an unaccompanied minor with special needs (or a toddler) to sit next to a total stranger. Nor does the total stranger want that. So on arrival you have a chat with gate staff and they can move other passengers around to make sure you can sit together.

Precisely.

When I was with an airline we had a standing rule that minors had to be with a guardian, no exceptions. One of the few occasions where we could move paid seats to make sure it happened. I’d soften the blow by explaining the situation and offering an equivalent seat or lounge access. A disabled minor? Absolutely no question. Any airline worth their salt will relocate and accommodate however possible.

For what it’s worth, most airlines won’t even let minors travel in a different cabin than the parent/guardian without the child being considered (and hence paid for) as an unaccompanied minor. Rule was actually so rigid that even crew traveling with their kids had to adhere. Was always fun to watch a captain sign their child off to the purser in charge of whatever cabin they’re in.

johns624

Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:42 pm

On a related note, this is why we always try to make our reservations as soon as possible, before the plane fills up.

AirKevin

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:38 pm

johns624 wrote:
On a related note, this is why we always try to make our reservations as soon as possible, before the plane fills up.

Even then, it's still possible for things to get screwed up.