Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

teje724
Topic Author

Landing at New Delhi airport

Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:33 pm

Hello to all, I’m not sure if this is the right place, however I’m very interested in learning about if pilots complete an auto land when landing at VIDP. I understand that it could get very hazy in that area, and from my point of view from a flight simulator I could barely make out the approach lights until I’m right on top of them. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Landing at New Delhi airport

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:26 pm

Yes, visibility below 550m is pretty common, especially in winter. I’ve only landed there in bizjets using a HUD with EFVS— works perfectly because the visibility is obscured by smoke and haze, very dry so temperature differences are great. RVR 600m, runway, indeed, field in sight at 5 miles.

Starlionblue

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:46 pm

It is indeed quite hazy sometimes.

However, the visuals in flight simulators, both for computer ones and full motion ones, tend to be a bit less than realistic when it comes to visibility. Haze can be a bit "on or off". In reality, if the RVR is 550m, for example, it isn't like you can't see anything at 551m and then suddenly at 549m the lights are fully visible. It's a gradual thing, and difficult to model in simulator visuals.

Real life is often easier than the sim. ;)

leader1

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:33 am

Just out of curiosity, but is the new runway open now? And if so, are they running a four runway operation?

Boeing757100

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:59 am

I sound stupid probably, but can’t the pilots do an airplane if they feel like the conditions necessitate it? They already have a lot on their minds during landing phase, so I don’t know.

AAPilot48Heavy

Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:52 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I sound stupid probably, but can’t the pilots do an airplane if they feel like the conditions necessitate it? They already have a lot on their minds during landing phase, so I don’t know.

How does a pilot 'do an airplane'? Did you leave some information out? I'm sorry, I just don't follow the question you are asking.

Boeing757100

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:18 pm

AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

How does a pilot 'do an airplane'? Did you leave some information out? I'm sorry, I just don't follow the question you are asking.

Sorry my bad… I meant “do an autoland.” Autocorrect sucks.

AAPilot48Heavy

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:45 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

There we go! That sounds more like it! Thanks :D

Boeing757100

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:48 pm

AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
AAPilot48Heavy wrote:

LOL no problem. Anyways, what I was asking was if the pilots were the only people behind the decision to autoland. I guess I could have worded it differently.

DualQual

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

LOL no problem. Anyways, what I was asking was if the pilots were the only people behind the decision to autoland. I guess I could have worded it differently.

If the visibility is below certain parameters (and these may vary from operator to operator) then an autoland may be dictated. At my shop if it is down to CAT2/3 then we autoland. Cat 1 and better we don’t have to. Now if an autoland is not dictated by the weather but a pilots wants to do an autoland then the pilot has that option to just do an autoland. At times maintenance will ask us to do one to keep the airplane autoland certified (if we don’t or can’t they have to do a ground check of the system to keep it certified).

Fleets that have HUD’s may differ from a requirement to ever autoland because a CAT2/3 can be flown manually on the HUD if it is so certified (737s that have them/787/many bizjets/whatever Airbus has them on/etc).

So the long and short of it is: Visibility below a certain threshold generally requires an autoland (unless the airplane has a suitable substitute such as a certified HUD). Any other time at discretion of pilot.

CosmicCruiser

Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:05 am

Even with all the haze and smoke I don't remember doing a CATIII landing. I do remember doing CATII landings but the HUD with EFVS made a big difference. I remember looking around the HUD to see what the F/O saw and it was totally brown. Through the HUD I saw a road, the app. lights and the runway.

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:22 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
AAPilot48Heavy wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

If LVP (Low Visibility Procedures) are not in force at the airport, the sensitive area around the ILS transmitters is not protected. Meaning you can't use CATII/III minima as the guidance is not guaranteed accurate.

Note: You can do an autoland with Cat I minima, even if LVP are not in force. The sensitive area is not protected, but since you can see it's fine.

Chaostheory

Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:47 pm

Delhi and nearby Lahore both suffer from issues with haze/smoke/fog. A very messy brown "soup" at times made worse by brick kilns etc. I had to divert to ISB a few years ago as I wasn't current.