Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Cost to be visible on FlightRadar24

Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:02 pm

I'm thinking of booking a domestic flight in Georgia (the country, not the US state). The country is a mix of flat and modest hills, except for high mountains on the far north border. There are no large areas of water in the country, and no islands.

I can see many international flights currently flying through the area on FR24.

I have seen consistently and reliably on FR24 in August and early September, a leased aircraft flying domestically for the airline in question, but the wet lease expired 10 days ago, and the leased aircraft in question has been in another country far away for 10 days

However, I cannot see any domestic flights taking place on FR24 for the airline in the last 10 days which makes me worry I would arrive at an airport and be told "Sorry, flights are cancelled". And yes, tickets have been on sale on the airline website

Do ATC in some countries charge additional costs for the use of any device in an aircraft that would also be picked up by an FR24 receiver ? Would a scheduled domestic flight normally be allowed to operate and not transmit its location in a way that FR24 would pick up ? Are there any other reasons as to why a daily non-military commercial 19-seat passenger flight would not show up at all on FR24 when A320/B737 overflights still show up reliably ?

gloom

Re: Cost to be visible on FlightRadar24

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:12 pm

Hello,

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Do ATC in some countries charge additional costs for the use of any device in an aircraft that would also be picked up by an FR24 receiver ?

I'm not aware of such situation, and don't think is the case here.
However, the devices transmitting from airplane are a piece of equipment that needs to be paid. And equipment is not required yet (I think no country has introdduced ADS-B as of now as requirement).

Would a scheduled domestic flight normally be allowed to operate and not transmit its location in a way that FR24 would pick up ?

Yes, that's still quite possible. Even with some extra functions FR24 has implemented (MLAT etc.), it's still normal thing to see a plane operated flight not showing up on FR24. Less and less likely, but for 19 passenger class, it's still possible.

Are there any other reasons as to why a daily non-military commercial 19-seat passenger flight would not show up at all on FR24 when A320/B737 overflights still show up reliably ?

Yes, planty. One would be not enough receivers on the ground, limiting range, others wuold include no ADS-B device on the plane, and not enough transmitters to make Mode C (MLAT) work. Also probably a couple more along the same lines.

Cheers,
Adam

rjsampson

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:34 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Hello,

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Do ATC in some countries charge additional costs for the use of any device in an aircraft that would also be picked up by an FR24 receiver ?

gloom wrote:
However, the devices transmitting from airplane are a piece of equipment that needs to be paid. And equipment is not required yet (I think no country has introdduced ADS-B as of now as requirement).

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Would a scheduled domestic flight normally be allowed to operate and not transmit its location in a way that FR24 would pick up ?

gloom wrote:
Yes, that's still quite possible. Even with some extra functions FR24 has implemented (MLAT etc.), it's still normal thing to see a plane operated flight not showing up on FR24. Less and less likely, but for 19 passenger class, it's still possible.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Are there any other reasons as to why a daily non-military commercial 19-seat passenger flight would not show up at all on FR24 when A320/B737 overflights still show up reliably ?

gloom wrote:
Yes, planty. One would be not enough receivers on the ground, limiting range, others wuold include no ADS-B device on the plane, and not enough transmitters to make Mode C (MLAT) work. Also probably a couple more along the same lines.

ADSBExchange has more transmitters than FR24 and will pick up more traffic (including military). If you are indeed curious as to whether or not a previously known flight isn't showing up on FR24 -- assuming you know the typical departure time, and departure location, check out ADSBExchange and you may or may not see it there, if you didn't see it on FR24.

N1120A

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:21 pm

gloom wrote:
Hello,

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Cheers,
Adam

For a bunch of airspace in the US, ADS-B out is required.

SAAFNAV

Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 am

rjsampson wrote:
ADSBExchange has more transmitters than FR24 and will pick up more traffic (including military).

Assuming you meant ADS-B receivers..

mxaxai

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:32 pm

N1120A wrote:

Indeed, though Georgia, which OP asked about, doesn't have such requirements yet. Other countries have exemptions for some aircraft. Especially old, slow or small aircraft like a 19-seater would tend to be exempt.

If you're worried about cancelled flights or unreliable operators, I'd suggest getting a travel agent who's familiar with the country. They would also be someone to talk to in case something does go wrong.

gloom

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:01 am

mxaxai wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Indeed, though Georgia, which OP asked about, doesn't have such requirements yet.

Guys, please, read carefully.
OP asked about Georgia (country), not Georgia (US state). Just next to Black Sea, on east shores. Anything "US" is not a valid answer there.

Cheers,
Adam

N1120A

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 am

gloom wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Indeed, though Georgia, which OP asked about, doesn't have such requirements yet.

Guys, please, read carefully.
OP asked about Georgia (country), not Georgia (US state). Just next to Black Sea, on east shores. Anything "US" is not a valid answer there.

Cheers,
Adam

I'm aware where both Georgias are and have been to both Georgias. I was responding to the incorrect comment about ADS-B not being mandated anywhere.