Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SteelChair

Re: Number of sims in a major airline

Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:28 pm

Redbellyguppy wrote:
I know of an airline that operates 24 full flight simulators to support a fleet of 771 737s.

771/24=32.125 simulators plane. I said earlier that most airlines have 1 simulator per 30-40 airplanes, so the airline cited is right in the predicted spot, with some efficiencies no doubt due to only having a single airplane type. Long haul international fleets take more simulators per plane.

My guess is that this airline also has about 7 crew (14 pilots) per airplane. Maybe a little less due to a single fleet type. 771x14=10, 794

LimaFoxTango

Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:35 pm

Woodreau wrote:

The FFS are what most people think of as simulators. Level D simulators can be used to certify landings. Level C simulators cannot be used to certify landings so any training done in level C simulators require landings done in Level D simulators or have the landings done in the actual aircraft.

Can you (or anyone else) elaborate more on this regarding Level C sims. This topic came up for discussion recently in my company but couldn’t find any reference/docs/regulations that state landings must be done in an aircraft after using a Level C. The argument was also how much was required, 3 or 6.

xl0hr

Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:34 pm

Acey559 wrote:
At my airline, only the captain taxis the plane. Some of our planes have tillers on both sides, but it's strictly forbidden. Even on landing, it's prohibited for the F/O to leave the runway centerline, so they aren't allowed to take a high-speed taxiway, it must be the captain.

At LH it's also only the captain that taxis. However I think the FO can exit the runway and hand over control while entering the taxiway (not a 100% sure on timing).

I find it awkward cause if it was the FO's flight (s)he taxis off the runway, the tower gives taxi instructions, the FO transfers control, then reads taxi instructions back even though having been in control when receiving them. Confusing.

But otherwise the captain would be digging thru charts. Where would that lead :duck:

Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:22 pm

Prior company aimed for 27 sims per jet. Two fleet types.