Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atkinson94
Topic Author

Question About Schooling for Tech

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:37 am

I am going to be heading into Texas State Technical College in august for aircraft. the two options they offer are Aircraft Powerplant and Aircraft Airframe. is there one i should select first. Should i end up doing both in end or is one less beneficial than the other. Im located near abilene so id image the job pool would need to be somewhat close. TIA

strfyr51

Re: Question About Schooling for Tech

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:46 am

atkinson94 wrote:
I am going to be heading into Texas State Technical College in august for aircraft. the two options they offer are Aircraft Powerplant and Aircraft Airframe. is there one i should select first. Should i end up doing both in end or is one less beneficial than the other. Im located near abilene so id image the job pool would need to be somewhat close. TIA

Start with your Airframe license. I say this because there are many other systems as part of the Airframe. Flight controls. fuel, Hydraulics, fuselage repairs, composite repairs, Landing gear, Windows, Cabin furnishings which include the cargo pits and cargo loading systems and entry doors. NOBODY knows everything. so your airframe will give you a basic access to 75% of the airplane. the Powerplant is Very important but the Airframe has so many more specialties that NOBODY will ever learn it ALL!

Strebav8or

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:15 pm

As a 35 year A&P, definitely start with your Airframe, then get your Powerplant. Get both.
As a feather in your cap, get your FCC license, too.
Welcome to the field! Welcome to the fellowship!!

AirKevin

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:38 pm

Interesting that the school breaks it down like that. As the others said, airframe first, although the school I went to had the classes set up in a manner such that you didn't get a say in the matter. You had to do the airframe first.

gregorygoodwin

Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 pm

I obtained my A&P many years ago and have worked almost exclusively in structural and composite repairs on heavy commercial aircraft for over 35 years now. First of all, and this is most important, get both your airframe and powerplant licenses. You will need both for advancement in aviation maintenance, especially if you want to be employed by the major airlines. Next, never turn away from any training offered once you are employed. For example, if you are given the opportunity to attend composites training, do it, this is the future of airframe design and if you are proficient at it, you will be the person in demand. This goes for any area of aircraft maintenance you want to pursue, be it powerplants, airframe, or avionics. Also, take a deep interest in what you work on, by this I mean look at the way the aircraft is designed and operated and ask questions that you have to people who know the correct answers, walk around the aircraft and ask questions of yourself, then look it up in the maintenance manuals so that you know the answers.
Gregory

Dalmd88

Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:42 pm

Most schools do a semester of General, two Airframe and two Powerplant. You can test for the airframe with out the powerplant just to get it done as soon as your school signs you off, or you can wait until you have the powerplant signoff and do them together. Best is to do the airfarme as soon as you can. Some of the stuff required for both tickets is learn for the test and dump it.

In 35 years of working on airplanes I have never welded, done fabric or even touched a recip out side of school. For others that is all they have done. For the test you need to know it all.

As far as the job pool, get ready to move. I doubt there are a ton of A&P jobs in the TX panhandle. Yes there are some FBO jobs, but many would want some experience on what ever they work on and the pay isn't likely to be as good as a major airline. Even with a major be ready to move. In my 35 years I've worked at 7 different airports in 6 states, and one move back to my current airport ATL. That doesn't count the road trip airports. I've got about 10 of those. That number is low because I hate road trips and try very hard not to go.

As others have said do every training that is offered by an employer. Go to every aircraft school, specialty like troubleshooting, composites, avionics, sheetmetal, do it. You will get better tasks handed to you by being the go to guy. The other option is do as little as possible and enjoy the grease gun and lave tank jobs. It does pay the same. I would much rather troubleshoot a autoland problem than a lav issue.

Snuffaluffagus

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:31 am

Envoy Air, a regional airline for American Airlines, has an Abilene, TX maintenance base. Dallas Ft. Worth too.