Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seat1a
Topic Author

Possible for B787 or A350 to do NRT-MIA Nonstop?

Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:27 pm

Wondering two things: (1) Can the 787 or 350 do Tokyo-Miami nonstop? The distance is about 7,400 miles, less than ORD-AUK which is about 8,200 miles, so appears doable. Next obvious question is (2) is there market here for Japan Airlines, ANA or American on a daily basis or slightly-less daily basis?

Thank you!

STT757

Re: Possible for B787 or A350 to do NRT-MIA Nonstop?

Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:33 pm

Absolutely the range is there for the 787, A350 and probably the 77W. However, it has always been my belief that the first Japan-Florida route will be Orlando. The flights would rely on Japanese point of sale which will be leisure. One day we will find out. Florida is not the most diverse state outside of Hispanic culture, there's probably more demand for flights to the Philippines from Florida than anywhere else in Asia due to the cruise industry.

jplatts

Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:44 pm

seat1a wrote:
Wondering two things: (1) Can the 787 or 350 do Tokyo-Miami nonstop? The distance is about 7,400 miles, less than ORD-AUK which is about 8,200 miles, so appears doable. Next obvious question is (2) is there market here for Japan Airlines, ANA or American on a daily basis or slightly-less daily basis?

AA certainly has planes capable of doing MIA-TYO as AA operates JFK-DEL nonstop service (via a longer route that avoids Russian airspace) using Boeing 777-300ER planes. The distance of JFK-DEL via a longer route that avoids Russian airspace is approximately 8,280 miles.

If TYO-MIA nonstop service is added, it would be on AA or JL due to the AA MIA hub. JL would also be able to offer connections onto AA flights out of MIA to the Caribbean, Central America, and South America if JL adds TYO-MIA nonstop service.

While ORD and JFK currently don't have nonstop service to TYO on AA metal, AA's JV partner JL does serve both HND and NRT nonstop from both ORD and JFK.

NH is unlikely to add TYO-MIA nonstop service with JFK and SEA being the only non-UA hub airports in the contiguous U.S. that have NH service.

Flogskipari

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:00 am

STT757 wrote:
Absolutely the range is there for the 787, A350 and probably the 77W. However, it has always been my belief that the first Japan-Florida route will be Orlando. The flights would rely on Japanese point of sale which will be leisure. One day we will find out. Florida is not the most diverse state outside of Hispanic culture, there's probably more demand for flights to the Philippines from Florida than anywhere else in Asia due to the cruise industry.

Any reason for thinking Orlando will be the first destination? As far as I know, it's a lower-yield destination than Miami, with fewer corporate clients than Miami, and definitely fewer connection possibilities to South America (mainly São Paulo and Lima matter here) than Miami. The major draw of Orlando is Disney. There's one of those right in Tokyo...

x1234

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:06 am

It would be either JL/AA. Also I heard that the lucrative East Asia-Latin America traffic is routed mostly via Europe/Middle East. EK serves GRU, GIG and EZE while QR serves GRU and EZE. Of course you have the European majors flying to everywhere in Latin America. If they want to transit Northern Latin America ANA and AM already fly NRT-MEX daily and I heard its a very lucrative route for ANA. AM has pushed MEX-ICN to 2024. Of course you can transit through Canada (YYZ/YUL mostly) with a eTA. Also CM already flies SFO/LAX/JFK/ORD-PTY and AV flies LAX-BOG if you want to transit the US. If you want Deep South America you can of course transit through DFW/IAH/IAD/ORD/JFK/EWR.

Flogskipari

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:10 am

x1234 wrote:
It would be either JL/AA. Also I heard that the lucrative East Asia-Latin America traffic is routed mostly via Europe/Middle East. EK serves GRU, GIG and EZE while QR serves GRU and EZE. Of course you have the European majors flying to everywhere in Latin America. If they want to transit Northern Latin America ANA and AM already fly NRT-MEX daily and I heard its a very lucrative route for ANA. AM has pushed MEX-ICN to 2024. Of course you can transit through Canada (YYZ/YUL mostly) with a eTA. Also CM already flies SFO/LAX/JFK/ORD-PTY and AV flies LAX-BOG if you want to transit the US. If you want Deep South America you can of course transit through DFW/IAH/IAD/ORD/JFK/EWR.

Also add ET and TK to that on GRU/EZE-Japan itineraries, often with the best fares in both classes

x1234

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:14 am

Yeah I forgot, TK now flies to MEX, CUN, PTY, BOG, HAV, CCS, GRU and EZE in Latin America.

STT757

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:16 am

Flogskipari wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Any reason for thinking Orlando will be the first destination? As far as I know, it's a lower-yield destination than Miami, with fewer corporate clients than Miami, and definitely fewer connection possibilities to South America (mainly São Paulo and Lima matter here) than Miami. The major draw of Orlando is Disney. There's one of those right in Tokyo...

You said it, Disney. If it's driven by leisure demand Disney is the major draw in Florida. Yes, the beaches are nice, Hawaii's are better and significantly closer. I don't see Miami as a major draw for tourists from Japan, MCO is the busiest airport in Florida for a reason.

SCFlyer

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:22 am

Orlando would seem to be the better port for O&D / Tourism Attractions, despite the lower yield.
Miami would be better for connections plus the strong O&D to complement that.

BWIAirport

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:39 am

Wasn't there a TYO-MIA charter for the World Baseball Classic in March on a JL 789? I would think that is pretty representative of a typical passenger flight

STT757

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:40 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Orlando would seem to be the better port for O&D / Tourism Attractions, despite the lower yield.

The only demand from Japan further beyond Florida would be Peru and Brazil. For Peru, California and Texas would be better for connections while Brazil EWR/JFK would be better. In fact, JAL used to fly JFK-GRU.

This has been discussed many times, it's been established that Orlando has a higher PDEW from Japan than Miami.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1436399

910A

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:44 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Wasn't there a TYO-MIA charter for the World Baseball Classic in March on a JL 789? I would think that is pretty representative of a typical passenger flight

We have a winner..also the day before the JL flight, an Atlas 744 made the trip also non-stop with the Cuban baseball team.

chunhimlai

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:45 am

Before Covid we are talking HKG-MIA non stop
now we are talking TYO-MIA non stop
In long run would we see a topic called “Possible for XXX to do west coast - miami non stop”?

Flogskipari

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:49 am

STT757 wrote:
Flogskipari wrote:
STT757 wrote:

You said it, Disney. If it's driven by leisure demand Disney is the major draw in Florida. Yes, the beaches are nice, Hawaii's are better and significantly closer. I don't see Miami as a major draw for tourists from Japan, MCO is the busiest airport in Florida for a reason.

But again: There's a Disneyland right in Tokyo. I don't have the numbers, I tried to find them but couldn't, but how many Japanese fly to the other side of the world to go to Disney in Orlando instead of the one at home in Japan? When they go to the US, they probably also stop in California or New York, or some other major tourist site, so I dare a guess that very few just fly into Orlando to go to Disney and then fly out to Japan again.

STT757

Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:56 am

Flogskipari wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Flogskipari wrote:

But again: There's a Disneyland right in Tokyo. I don't have the numbers, I tried to find them but couldn't, but how many Japanese fly to the other side of the world to go to Disney in Orlando instead of the one at home in Japan? When they go to the US, they probably also stop in California or New York, or some other major tourist site, so I dare a guess that very few just fly into Orlando to go to Disney and then fly out to Japan again.

Walt Disney World would be similar to Las Vegas, there are closer versions of each to Japan, yet both get plenty of Japanese visitors each year. Although, as of now, it has not translated into nonstops. I believe during the Haneda applications someone, maybe DL?, applied for HND-LAS as one of their options.

Flogskipari

Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:02 am

STT757 wrote:
Flogskipari wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Walt Disney World would be similar to Las Vegas, there are closer versions of each to Japan, yet both get plenty of Japanese visitors each year. Although, as of now, it has not translated into nonstops. I believe during the Haneda applications someone, maybe DL?, applied for HND-LAS as one of their options.

Do they? Have you got the numbers for Japanese visitors to Walt Disney World in Orlando? I tried to find it but couldn't.

jplatts

Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:13 am

STT757 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

The only demand from Japan further beyond Florida would be Peru and Brazil. For Peru, California and Texas would be better for connections while Brazil EWR/JFK would be better. In fact, JAL used to fly JFK-GRU.

This has been discussed many times, it's been established that Orlando has a higher PDEW from Japan than Miami.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1436399

There was a discussion regarding the likelihood of JL/NH adding nonstop service to TYO from non-AA/DL/UA/AS hub markets in the contiguous U.S. at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1473697&p=23347847 last year.

STT757

Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:22 am

Flogskipari wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Flogskipari wrote:

Do they? Have you got the numbers for Japanese visitors to Walt Disney World in Orlando? I tried to find it but couldn't.

The only recent data I can find is for Asian visitors to Orlando which was about 300,000 per year prior to the pandemic.

https://visitorlando.widen.net/s/fvqhq2hrdq/vo-2021-orlando-visitor-volume-2021

This says about 300,000 Japanese tourists to Florida in 2012

https://www.miami.us.emb-japan.go.jp/files/000241800.pdf

This article from 1990 says Japanese tourists avoid Miami and Broward in favor of Disney.

Japanese tourists visit Orlando and the Disney attractions more than any other part of Florida, but no agency keeps accurate statistics on the number of Japanese tourists that visit various cities in the state, Chryst said.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1990-11-17-9002250991-story.html

Judge1310

Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:33 am

"Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen."

Miami to Japan is already well-served through many hubs in the U.S. ATL is right up the road, for example. There is no need for a nonstop when a customer out of Japan would, literally, be over-flying every other hub in the US and Canada.

planecane

Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:45 am

STT757 wrote:

Not a huge Asian population in FL but plenty of diversity outside of Latin Americans. Obviously, that is the largest community.

Max Q

Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:06 am

I think it will happen, just a matter of time

dennypayne

Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:10 am

Judge1310 wrote:
There is no need for a nonstop when a customer out of Japan would, literally, be over-flying every other hub in the US and Canada.

Yeah because I hate it when airlines try to get me to my destination 4 hours quicker and make me miss out on running through a second airport hoping my bags transfer properly.

Max Q

Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:48 am

dennypayne wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
There is no need for a nonstop when a customer out of Japan would, literally, be over-flying every other hub in the US and Canada.

Yeah because I hate it when airlines try to get me to my destination 4 hours quicker and make me miss out on running through a second airport hoping my bags transfer properly.

Exactly

Starlionblue

Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:14 am

seat1a wrote:

Thank you!

The A351 can do it. It regularly does HKG-EWR/JFK. NRT-MIA is 600nm shorter.

Max Q

Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:57 am

I’ve often wondered if there would be a market for a MIA-HKG non stop, especially when travel to that city finally returns to normal

Judge1310

Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:25 pm

dennypayne wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Your response tells me that you truly don't understand how airline economics actually works. :roll:

dennypayne

Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:38 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Your response tells me that you truly don't understand how airline economics actually works. :roll:

Of course I understand that most city pairs will be pushed through a hub - but "how airline economics work" is that they will run the numbers and maximize profit - nonstops almost always will command a yield premium, so saying that there is "no need" for one because hubs exist is shortsighted if the PDEW is sufficient. My tongue-in-cheek response was intended to show that there are customers that value nonstops and will pay a premium for them.

Judge1310

Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:13 pm

dennypayne wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
dennypayne wrote:

Of course I understand that most city pairs will be pushed through a hub - but "how airline economics work" is that they will run the numbers and maximize profit - nonstops almost always will command a yield premium, so saying that there is "no need" for one because hubs exist is shortsighted if the PDEW is sufficient. My tongue-in-cheek response was intended to show that there are customers that value nonstops and will pay a premium for them.

Sure, for those customers that value nonstops, then they can fly private. But the PDEW isn't enough to warrant the economic viability of such a route. That's simply it.

N1120A

Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm

seat1a wrote:

Thank you!

ORD-AUK is 2876nm, so the range is there. Departing a 787 or 350 off a 4000' by 75' runway might be a bit tough :bigthumbsup:

x1234 wrote:
Yeah I forgot, TK now flies to MEX, CUN, PTY, BOG, HAV, CCS, GRU and EZE in Latin America.

CUN is both a tech stop and a destination, so they split the loads there. Seems to do well for them though.

rt23456p

Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:14 pm

Even a 77W can fly 8,000 nm, see CZ's CAN-JFK route.

VMCA787

Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:27 pm

N1120A wrote:
seat1a wrote:

ORD-AUK is 2876nm, so the range is there. Departing a 787 or 350 off a 4000' by 75' runway might be a bit tough :bigthumbsup:

[.

The mileage is a little further than you have calculated. The correct identifier is AKL. The correct distance is 7111NM.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:33 am

Judge1310 wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Sure, for those customers that value nonstops, then they can fly private. But the PDEW isn't enough to warrant the economic viability of such a route. That's simply it.

No offense, but if this is your manner of assessment, then you really don't have much room to be chastising anyone else about lack of comprehension for airline economics. IJS.

I have the 2019 IATA data compiled by DemandARC, and as of immediately prior to the pandemic, MCO had 132 PDEW to Tokyo, making it second after LAS at 192, and distantly ahead of PHX (51) for unserved markets in the USA. For comparison, MIA was at 32, tied with SLC and BNA, and only 2PDEW ahead of AUS and IND.

132 doesn't sound like much, but it's actually about where SAN was when it got its TYO flight, and ahead of LAS when it got its ICN. Why? Because market stimulation will easily triple that number or more, as per common trend. What matters is, as was already explained to you, the number of pax willing to pay a premium for the nonstop, vis-a-vis the opportunity cost for use of the aircraft; the latter being a greater impediment for Florida's location, as even a single aircraft would be unable to reliably operate a 24hr turnaround.

Judge1310

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:27 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
dennypayne wrote:

No offense, but if this is your manner of assessment, then you really don't have much room to be chastising anyone else about lack of comprehension for airline economics. IJS.

I have the 2019 IATA data compiled by DemandARC, and as of immediately prior to the pandemic, MCO had 132 PDEW to Tokyo, making it second after LAS at 192, and distantly ahead of PHX (51) for unserved markets in the USA. For comparison, MIA was at 32, tied with SLC and BNA, and only 2PDEW ahead of AUS and IND.

132 doesn't sound like much, but it's actually about where SAN was when it got its TYO flight, and ahead of LAS when it got its ICN. Why? Because market stimulation will easily triple that number or more, as per common trend. What matters is, as was already explained to you, the number of pax willing to pay a premium for the nonstop, vis-a-vis the opportunity cost for use of the aircraft; the latter being a greater impediment for Florida's location, as even a single aircraft would be unable to reliably operate a 24hr turnaround.

I'm glad I'm just seeing your spiteful response days after it was posted. What I'm not going to do, though, is to get down to your level because I don't know you and you don't know me. I said what I said and I have nearly three decades of operational, planning, networking, and leadership experience in the field of aviation.

Now, to the topic at hand. Sure, if NH or JL were to operate such a flight, I can imagine it would do alright. However, if a US American carrier were to operate a MIA-TYO segment, it would be economically inefficient and unviable. Looking at numbers (PDEW, e.g.) is one thing, but considering market dynamics is the main idea. So thank you for sharing information regarding TYO-SAN and ICN-LAS (information already known), however you've clearly failed to take into account the dynamics of the specific markets. One cannot equate the MIA market to tourist juggernauts such as MCO and LAS.

TPAspotter11

Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:43 pm

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis met with executives of Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways on possible nonstop flights from NRT or HND to MIA and MCO in the coming years

I think MIA makes more sense for Japan Airlines because it will offer a lot of connections from American Airlines.

All Nippon Airlines would most likely land MCO

https://aeroxplorer.com/articles/florid ... orizon.php

seat1a
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:09 pm

N1120A wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Thank you!

Oh jees, forgive me for that error on my part. AKL!!! AUK is some small public airport. Yikes.

x1234 wrote:

CUN is both a tech stop and a destination, so they split the loads there. Seems to do well for them though.