Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Crew visa question

Fri May 26, 2023 4:12 pm

I was wondering the average number of live visas a crew member would hold in their passport. I guess the more there are makes it easier for ops planning, and how long do they last?

N1120A

Re: Crew visa question

Fri May 26, 2023 7:36 pm

Most countries don't require visas for crews actively working. Their passport and crew badge are enough. The US is a major exception.

Cubsrule

Sat May 27, 2023 2:49 am

N1120A wrote:
Most countries don't require visas for crews actively working. Their passport and crew badge are enough. The US is a major exception.

Are working crew eligible to participate in VWP?

N1120A

Sat May 27, 2023 3:47 am

Cubsrule wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Are working crew eligible to participate in VWP?

Nope. They have to get a C1/D visa.

Flow2706

Sat May 27, 2023 6:50 am

In my career so far I did not really need to get many crew visas. As I was based in Indonesia and Vietnam for a while I got a work permit/work visa for these countries (which are expired now); the only crew visa I got was for India that I only used for a single ferry flight. As my new airline has flights to the US, I am just in the process of getting an US Crew visa at the moment...but as others have said, unless you are working long haul flights to many countries, Visas are not that much of an issue.

IADFCO

Sat May 27, 2023 12:32 pm

...which makes me curious: do passports get stamped? I suppose not, otherwise some crew members would need a new passport every month!

CosmicCruiser

Sat May 27, 2023 1:00 pm

When I was flying we needed China and India visas and for a short time the Shengen visa. I forget which country it was that would not issue a new visa if your passport was with in 2 years of expiration. Thank goodness the company was quite good at getting fast turn arounds on new visas and passports. Usually about a week. Stamps were never an issue, they just stamped on top of a stamp. I do remember a weird moment flying into FRA and the immigration officer just waved us through. Easy Peasy we think. Then when we were leaving a couple of days later the immigration officer says "where's your entrance stamp?" We tell him the other officer didn't stamp it and he was very upset. We thought for a few minutes he wasn't going to let us leave! When you approached new passport renewal you needed to be very careful what you bid for that month. There good be some tense moments. Let's say you are having your passport renewed and you have a nice little trip to ANC with a 2 day layover then back down to base. Then on your layover a crew member gets ill and they put you on his trip which is to NRT. Problem!! I never had such an issue but it was talked about often.

ArcticFlyer

Sat May 27, 2023 3:52 pm

IADFCO wrote:
...which makes me curious: do passports get stamped? I suppose not, otherwise some crew members would need a new passport every month!

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the country, the officer and the officer's mood.

Cubsrule

Sat May 27, 2023 11:15 pm

ArcticFlyer wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the country, the officer and the officer's mood.

. . . Which in some parts of the world (especially Western Europe and English-speaking North America) isn’t too much different from stamping for non-crew. My kids’ U.S. passports are about to expire and have zero stamps. My older daughter flies to MAD with school on Monday and I think is most excited about perhaps getting her first stamp.

T54A

Sat May 27, 2023 11:35 pm

On my SA passport, I require US, Canadian and Chinese visas to operate as crew. Other countries I enter on the gendec, or they have background crew visas issues through the company.

VMCA787

Sun May 28, 2023 8:24 am

During my time at SQ, which was over 10 years, the only crew visa we required to get was to the US. All other countries, such as China were handled by the station manager. The passports were collected and given to him. The crew proceeded to the baggage area and normally the station manager was there with the passports. Very easy for the crew!!

Yikes!

Sun May 28, 2023 9:46 pm

I needed visas (while in contract service) in Gabon, India, "Latvia" (although flights were out of the UK by a Latvia based company), and Israel. Previously, during my Canada 3000 days, no visas required.