Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cargil48
Topic Author

The MCAS solution viewed now

Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:28 pm

Guys, hi

Before everybody jumps at me going back to this (in)famous topic, I still have some questions regarding the flight controls in general and how the market has gradually responded by increasing automatization in the FMS. My main point arose after reading an article the subject of which caught my attention: "Will we ever have commercial airplanes without pilots in the cockpit?" Obviously this led my brain reviewing all I had read about the MAX problem we all know about and what the industry has learned from it. Probably thousands of lines have been written already about it, spread everywhere in the internet, but I thought there are still some points maybe worthwhile reviewing and condensing in short answers for all those who are not too familiar with what happed and how it should have been avoided in the first place. First of all, I have some knowledge about aviation and airplanes, generally speaking and this means I'm not a pilot. Not even of an UL...but I have years of R/C big airplanes (up to 1/3d scale), building them and flying them, so I'm familiar with the techniques of flying in general and how planes are made.

Now, recapitulating: "The Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) is a flight control law managed by the flight control computer (FCC) and introduced on the 737 MAX to help it handle like a 737 Next Generation (NG), particularly at slow speeds and high angles of attack (AOA)." (from an article on Aviation Week).

Question nr. 1: Isn't every pilot trained from the beginning of his (long) career on until becoming able (or allowed) to seat himself on the nr. 2 seat of the cockpit (not even to speak of the nr. 1...) to fly a commercial plane, that pitch and speed are the most important parameters to have in mind? Every R/C piloting guy knows that if he does not have that in mind he looses his toy!... Being so, when a pilot is flying in a situation of low speed and higher AoA than on normal cruise isn't it "natural" that he keeps every five seconds or so looking at the VSI and at the speed indicator?

Question nr. 2: We all know what redundancy is and that (if I'm not mistaken) every FMS relies on three independent systems which feed the FCC with data to allow the FMS to make the correct decisions? If so, how could Boeing have introduced a new additional system to the FMS of the MAX relying on one probe only??? Wasn't that illegal in the first place?

Question nr. 3: From the many times I flew in the cockpit jump seats (or the seat behind the captain) I know that (at least on the 737) there is an aural signal to catch the crew's attention to something and that there is the so-called "cut-off switch" to silence that alerting signal. And there is also another aural warning (that one I fortunately never heard...) which goes: "Terrain, pull up! Terrain, pull up!". Being so, why had Boeing that trouble of developing the MCAS and simply did not another aural warning in the cockpit saying something like "Attitude! Attitude!"??

strfyr51

Re: The MCAS solution viewed now

Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:22 pm

cargil48 wrote:
Guys, hi

Before everybody jumps at me going back to this (in)famous topic, I still have some questions regarding the flight controls in general and how the market has gradually responded by increasing automatization in the FMS. My main point arose after reading an article the subject of which caught my attention: "Will we ever have commercial airplanes without pilots in the cockpit?" Obviously this led my brain reviewing all I had read about the MAX problem we all know about and what the industry has learned from it. Probably thousands of lines have been written already about it, spread everywhere in the internet, but I thought there are still some points maybe worthwhile reviewing and condensing in short answers for all those who are not too familiar with what happed and how it should have been avoided in the first place. First of all, I have some knowledge about aviation and airplanes, generally speaking and this means I'm not a pilot. Not even of an UL...but I have years of R/C big airplanes (up to 1/3d scale), building them and flying them, so I'm familiar with the techniques of flying in general and how planes are made.

Now, recapitulating: "The Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) is a flight control law managed by the flight control computer (FCC) and introduced on the 737 MAX to help it handle like a 737 Next Generation (NG), particularly at slow speeds and high angles of attack (AOA)." (from an article on Aviation Week).

Question nr. 1: Isn't every pilot trained from the beginning of his (long) career on until becoming able (or allowed) to seat himself on the nr. 2 seat of the cockpit (not even to speak of the nr. 1...) to fly a commercial plane, that pitch and speed are the most important parameters to have in mind? Every R/C piloting guy knows that if he does not have that in mind he looses his toy!... Being so, when a pilot is flying in a situation of low speed and higher AoA than on normal cruise isn't it "natural" that he keeps every five seconds or so looking at the VSI and at the speed indicator?

Question nr. 2: We all know what redundancy is and that (if I'm not mistaken) every FMS relies on three independent systems which feed the FCC with data to allow the FMS to make the correct decisions? If so, how could Boeing have introduced a new additional system to the FMS of the MAX relying on one probe only??? Wasn't that illegal in the first place?

Question nr. 3: From the many times I flew in the cockpit jump seats (or the seat behind the captain) I know that (at least on the 737) there is an aural signal to catch the crew's attention to something and that there is the so-called "cut-off switch" to silence that alerting signal. And there is also another aural warning (that one I fortunately never heard...) which goes: "Terrain, pull up! Terrain, pull up!". Being so, why had Boeing that trouble of developing the MCAS and simply did not another aural warning in the cockpit saying something like "Attitude! Attitude!"??

the MCAS system was an angle of attack based system. It might have worked flawlessly had BOTH AOA sensors had comparators and independent operation. BUT? the VP in charge didn't see that as he was only thinking of the number of airplanes he could turn out assuming they were safe. He then sold those airplanes to carriers who had NO 737 experience. CASE in point? the MCAS airplanes had no problems reported at airlines who had flown 737's previously and they banked that the carriers who were new to the 737 wouldn't know the difference, so they did what it did led down the primrose path. with the MCAS system being tied to a single AOA sensor when anybody who ever worked on a 737 knew the loss of heat function or a bird strike can take out a sensor? and the MCAS was only tied to ONE sensor? they lost redundancy and the MCAS was ineffective as it gave false inputs and warnings. and what was part of the fix? to put switches on the pedestal to cut out the MCAS to hand fly the airplane.

cargil48
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:30 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
the MCAS system was an angle of attack based system. It might have worked flawlessly had BOTH AOA sensors had comparators and independent operation. BUT? the VP in charge didn't see that as he was only thinking of the number of airplanes he could turn out assuming they were safe. He then sold those airplanes to carriers who had NO 737 experience. CASE in point? the MCAS airplanes had no problems reported at airlines who had flown 737's previously and they banked that the carriers who were new to the 737 wouldn't know the difference, so they did what it did led down the primrose path. with the MCAS system being tied to a single AOA sensor when anybody who ever worked on a 737 knew the loss of heat function or a bird strike can take out a sensor? and the MCAS was only tied to ONE sensor? they lost redundancy and the MCAS was ineffective as it gave false inputs and warnings. and what was part of the fix? to put switches on the pedestal to cut out the MCAS to hand fly the airplane.

Thanks for the reply. What you write for me is new, that those two airlines with MAX crashing had no prior experience with 737 a/c. This leads to two other sub-questions both subject related:

1. Did some of the other airlines flying the MAX at those times (2019, I think) experience the same problem as well?
2. If yes, which action did the respective crew take to avoid the fatal happenings of those who crashed?

Thank you.

kalvado

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Question nr. 1: Isn't every pilot trained from the beginning of his (long) career on until becoming able (or allowed) to seat himself on the nr. 2 seat of the cockpit (not even to speak of the nr. 1...) to fly a commercial plane, that pitch and speed are the most important parameters to have in mind?

Problem MCAS was solving was improper feedback onto the yoke. In 737, that feedback is provided by a specialized hydraulic computer, and I would assume modifying that would be the proper way of dealing with the problem. For whatever reason Boeing didn't do that. Basic problem from testing was "plane doesn't feel right" in a corner of envelope, defeating training approaches.
Question nr. 2: We all know what redundancy is and that (if I'm not mistaken) every FMS relies on three independent systems which feed the FCC

not on 737. IIRC 2 independent systems without majority vote.
1. Did some of the other airlines flying the MAX at those times (2019, I think) experience the same problem as well?

Total of 3 events, 2 sequential on 1 plane. First crew on Lion plane - actually a jumpseater who had a luxury to analyze situation as things progressed - found the solution. Overall MAX had laughable amount of flight time, like 100k hours, by the time it was grounded.

kalvado

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:51 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
cargil48 wrote:
Guys, hi

Both Lion and ET had 737NGs.

Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:27 pm

kalvado wrote:
Question nr. 1: Isn't every pilot trained from the beginning of his (long) career on until becoming able (or allowed) to seat himself on the nr. 2 seat of the cockpit (not even to speak of the nr. 1...) to fly a commercial plane, that pitch and speed are the most important parameters to have in mind?

Problem MCAS was solving was improper feedback onto the yoke. In 737, that feedback is provided by a specialized hydraulic computer, and I would assume modifying that would be the proper way of dealing with the problem. For whatever reason Boeing didn't do that. Basic problem from testing was "plane doesn't feel right" in a corner of envelope, defeating training approaches.

To clarify, the regulations for control forces permit artificial augmentation with regard to magnitude. This is what the hydraulic elevator feel system does, it reinforces the pilot's perception of what the aircraft is doing, and discourages pilot actions that could result in instability.

However the regulations don't permit the artificial augmentation of aircraft force slopes that are trending away from stability. That has the effect of masking the aircraft behavior from the pilot, thus encouraging pilot actions that would lead to instability. So if the aircraft behavior is trending away from the regulatory requirement, and that is accurately reflected in the control forces, then the aircraft itself must be corrected. You cannot artificially augment for that case, with elevator feel.

The regulations accomplish this by specifying the control force gradient in climb, as the pilot pulls back. The gradient must be smooth and continuous, with ever more force required for ever steeper angles of climb. There cannot be any inversions of that slope, or aircraft departure from that behavior.

This is the problem MCAS solved, by applying stabilizer to keep the aircraft in trim.

Question nr. 2: We all know what redundancy is and that (if I'm not mistaken) every FMS relies on three independent systems which feed the FCC

not on 737. IIRC 2 independent systems without majority vote.

Total of 3 events, 2 sequential on 1 plane. First crew on Lion plane - actually a jumpseater who had a luxury to analyze situation as things progressed - found the solution. Overall MAX had laughable amount of flight time, like 100k hours, by the time it was grounded.

The MAX had 650,000 flights as of the grounding, so likely around 1.5M flight hours.

Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 pm

cargil48 wrote:

In the original version of MCAS (v1.0), there were both AoA and accelerometer inputs required for activation. Thus the redundancy criteria were met. The safety analysis for this version was formally certified by the FAA.

In the later MCAS adaptation to low speed (v2.0), the accelerometer proved too sluggish in response, and was removed from MCAS on the recommendation of the flight test team, which included FAA staff and FAA test pilots. No one on that team anticipated the risk that would result from that removal.

The regulations do not permit the aircraft behavior which MCAS corrected. It's not permissable to substitute an alert for correction. Boeing could have applied for a waiver to the regulations, but that had never been done before for the purposes of pitch augmentation, and Boeing declined to do so even after the accidents.

cargil48
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:41 pm

Many thanks to all of you, fantastic amount of detailed answers here!

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:39 am

cargil48 wrote:
Many thanks to all of you, fantastic amount of detailed answers here!

Some last important details concerning the MCAS activation flight that did not result in an accident.

In the Lion Air flight JT043, for which the crew continued on to the destination with the damaged AoA sensor and MCAS activation, the jump seat pilot remembered the memory recall checklist for runaway stabilizer, and reminded the crew, who then carried it out. This procedure turns off the stabilizer motor and the aircraft continues flight with manual trim.

However the stick-shaker, along with invalid airspeed and altitude alarms, continued on the left-side controls for the entire flight. The crew flew from the right-side controls, which were unaffected.

Upon landing, the captain wrote up the stick-shaker and alarms for the maintenance staff. But failed to mention the runaway stabilizer.

The maintenance staff knew that this aircraft had a history of invalid airspeed and altitude alarms in flight. But they did not associate them with the AoA sensor, which had been replaced the previous night.

The original sensor had an intermittent fault, that had manifested over a period of 30 days, but only at altitude, and never caused an MCAS activation. The replacement sensor was refurbished, and had been miscalibrated at the shop. It was bad out of the box, but was not tested as per the installation instructions.

The maintenance staff thus reset the alarms and restored the aircraft to service, as they were accustomed to doing. So the next crew would experience the exact same issue the next day, and that flight would be fatal.

Since the aircraft was new and under warranty, Boeing would have overnighted a new AoA sensor at no charge. But the airline did not want to lose a day of service, so used the refurbished sensor instead.

cargil48
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:14 pm

The original sensor had an intermittent fault, that had manifested over a period of 30 days, but only at altitude, and never caused an MCAS activation. The replacement sensor was refurbished, and had been miscalibrated at the shop. It was bad out of the box, but was not tested as per the installation instructions.

The maintenance staff thus reset the alarms and restored the aircraft to service, as they were accustomed to doing. So the next crew would experience the exact same issue the next day, and that flight would be fatal.

Since the aircraft was new and under warranty, Boeing would have overnighted a new AoA sensor at no charge. But the airline did not want to lose a day of service, so used the refurbished sensor instead.

Flying is a science, even in the actual times of quite a lot of automatization. But when maintenance isn't done as it should, one can have the best airplane and flown by the best pilot but to no avail... The weakest link is always the one to break...

N1120A

Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:52 pm

There seem to be many misconceptions here.

1) Both Lion and Ethiopian were experienced 737 operators at the time of the MCAS crashes. Ethiopian, in fact, has operated every generation of 737 ever made.

2) Unlike with Lion, there has never really been a doubt about the quality of pilot training and manual flying ability at ET, where pilots frequently operate in challenging, visual operations.

3) The Lion airplane was not maintained properly, as noted. The ET plane was ordered without the optional second AOA sensor and indicator light - safety articles that should have not been optional, but also should have been ordered.

4) The ET crew treated the erroneous MCAS activation as trained - by doing a runaway trim procedure. That didn't work, however, and the airplane still killed them. What likely would have saved them would have been an extremely counter productive procedure out of the very high ADD airport - reducing thrust to reduce the AOA to a point where MCAS would stop pushing the nose down. They then could have engaged the autopilot and kept flying, as MCAS deactivates with the autopilot on. That said, it shouldn't have even gone that far.

That said, the MAX actually has, much like the NG before it, a better dispatch reliability record than the NEO and certainly isn't grounding airplanes left and right for engine maintenance.

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:55 pm

cargil48 wrote:

Flying is a science, even in the actual times of quite a lot of automatization. But when maintenance isn't done as it should, one can have the best airplane and flown by the best pilot but to no avail... The weakest link is always the one to break...

In this case, Boeing was the weakest link without any doubt.

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:05 pm

N1120A wrote:

3) The Lion airplane was not maintained properly, as noted. The ET plane was ordered without the optional second AOA sensor and indicator light - safety articles that should have not been optional, but also should have been ordered.

ET plane was ordered without AOA indicator, but with non-optional failure indicator. The way software was designed, though, non-optional feature was tied to an optional one, and didn't work without a paid option.
N1120A wrote:
4) The ET crew treated the erroneous MCAS activation as trained - by doing a runaway trim procedure. That didn't work, however, and the airplane still killed them.

Runaway trim procedure corrected for MCAS had some fine print optional actions - which turned out to be absolutely vital. Apparently, Boeing didn't try MCAS runaway in the sim after Lion crash, as simulator has a correct representation of the stab blowback effect. See Mentourpiont video for example. Neither they have engineers who understand aerodynamics of 737 by now (a really hair raising thing to say!)
N1120A wrote:
What likely would have saved them would have been an extremely counter productive procedure out of the very high ADD airport - reducing thrust to reduce the AOA to a point where MCAS would stop pushing the nose down. They then could have engaged the autopilot and kept flying, as MCAS deactivates with the autopilot on. That said, it shouldn't have even gone that far.

What would have saved them (possibly) is going by the book, going to unreliable airspeed procedure (pitch and thrust) without raising flaps. Terrain gamble would make it interesting as climb or descent are not guaranteed in that situation. Raising flaps wouldn't cause a problem in NG.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:07 pm

N1120A wrote:
2) Unlike with Lion, there has never really been a doubt about the quality of pilot training and manual flying ability at ET, where pilots frequently operate in challenging, visual operations.

It's true that Ethiopian has a much better safety record than Lion Air. However, both BEA and NTSB noted pilot training deficiencies for this accident. But EAIB refused to allow that finding in their report, as required by ICAO, leading to BEA and NTSB issuing their own reports that document the deficiencies.

4) The ET crew treated the erroneous MCAS activation as trained - by doing a runaway trim procedure. That didn't work, however, and the airplane still killed them. What likely would have saved them would have been an extremely counter productive procedure out of the very high ADD airport - reducing thrust to reduce the AOA to a point where MCAS would stop pushing the nose down. They then could have engaged the autopilot and kept flying, as MCAS deactivates with the autopilot on. That said, it shouldn't have even gone that far.

This is a misconception. The AoA sensor was destroyed at takeoff, so no pitch attitude could have disabled MCAS. Also, the autopilot will not stay engaged in the presence of invalid airspeed and altitude alarms, generated by the inability of the air data computer to correct for AoA. The crew tried several times to engage it, without success.

Also the crew did perform the runaway stabilizer checklist, but were late in doing so, and in the initial confusion, did not reduce throttle from the 94% takeoff setting. This caused the aircraft to overspeed, even while in a steady climb, beyond both the maximum safe operational speed and the maximum airframe rated speed. The throttles remained at 94% until impact.

At those speeds, the manual trim wheels did not work, so while the checklist was successful in disabling the stabilizer motor & MCAS, it was unsuccessful in relieving the high control column forces. The crew then decided to reverse the checklist and re-enable the stabilizer motor. At that point they were overwhelmed by the column forces.

For reasons we will never know, although the crew reactivated the stabilizer motor in order to use electric trim, they did not subsequently use it to relieve the column forces. Nor did they acknowledge or respond to the overspeed warning alerts.

Reducing throttle and airspeed would have enabled the manual trim again. The column & trim forces increase with the square of airspeed.

I point these things out, not to "blame the pilots", but because it's essential to understand the facts of what actually happened. None of us know how we will respond until we are in the moment.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:31 pm

kalvado wrote:
Runaway trim procedure corrected for MCAS had some fine print optional actions - which turned out to be absolutely vital. Apparently, Boeing didn't try MCAS runaway in the sim after Lion crash, as simulator has a correct representation of the stab blowback effect. See Mentourpiont video for example. Neither they have engineers who understand aerodynamics of 737 by now (a really hair raising thing to say!)

These statements are misconceptions. FAA did confirm in the simulator, that proper exercise of the runaway trim checklist, would be successful in resolving MCAS activation, before issuing the AD to airlines and the NOTAM to pilots.

Further they had direct evidence of this in the prior Lion Air JT043 flight, which used the checklist to successfully resolve an MCAS activation.

Elevator blowback arises as a possibility only for the case of severe overspeed, which did occur in the ET302 flight. However there was no evidence in any of the reports that blowback actually happened, or was a factor in the accident.

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:35 pm

N1120A wrote:

It's true that Ethiopian has a much better safety record than Lion Air. However, both BEA and NTSB noted pilot training deficiencies for this accident. But EAIB refused to allow that finding in their report, as required by ICAO, leading to BEA and NTSB issuing their own reports that document the deficiencies.

This is a misconception. The AoA sensor was destroyed at takeoff, so no pitch attitude could have disabled MCAS. Also, the autopilot will not stay engaged in the presence of invalid airspeed and altitude alarms, generated by the inability of the air data computer to correct for AoA. The crew tried several times to engage it, without success.

Also the crew did perform the runaway stabilizer checklist, but were late in doing so, and in the initial confusion, did not reduce throttle from the 94% takeoff setting. This caused the aircraft to overspeed, even while in a steady climb, beyond both the maximum safe operational speed and the maximum airframe rated speed. The throttles remained at 94% until impact.

At those speeds, the manual trim wheels did not work, so while the checklist was successful in disabling the stabilizer motor & MCAS, it was unsuccessful in relieving the high control column forces. The crew then decided to reverse the checklist and re-enable the stabilizer motor. At that point they were overwhelmed by the column forces.

For reasons we will never know, although the crew reactivated the stabilizer motor in order to use electric trim, they did not subsequently use it to relieve the column forces. Nor did they acknowledge or respond to the overspeed warning alerts.

Reducing throttle and airspeed would have enabled the manual trim again. The column & trim forces increase with the square of airspeed.

I point these things out, not to "blame the pilots", but because it's essential to understand the facts of what actually happened. None of us know how we will respond until we are in the moment.

Another aspect of it - you are describing it from the office chair perspective. Entire ET flight was 6 minutes, most of that time one of the pilots would be struggling with 100 lb load on the yoke, the other would be trying to turn the trim wheel - which barely moves under those conditions. Alarm, stick shaker, and no indicator for the root cause...
Yes, there were survivable ways out of their situation. Those became totally obvious within a week from the crash, once the blowback issue was properly understood.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:13 pm

kalvado wrote:
Another aspect of it - you are describing it from the office chair perspective. Entire ET flight was 6 minutes, most of that time one of the pilots would be struggling with 100 lb load on the yoke, the other would be trying to turn the trim wheel - which barely moves under those conditions. Alarm, stick shaker, and no indicator for the root cause...
Yes, there were survivable ways out of their situation. Those became totally obvious within a week from the crash, once the blowback issue was properly understood.

Again, the case for elevator blowback was a theory that circulated on the Internet. There is no factual evidence that it occurred, nor is it mentioned by any authoritative source, with regard to these accidents.

Also for the record, the column force generated by an initial activation of MCAS, is about 35 pounds. That remains true to this day. The FAA has established that this is an acceptable loading that is manageable by any pilot.

It's true that in these accidents, the forces built far beyond this, but that is only possible if the crew does not respond properly. At normal airspeeds and with countering action by the crew with electric trim, those forces would never develop.

It's essential in consideration of the MAX accidents, to properly include all events, and align them in terms of cause and effect. Boeing was at fault in the design of MCAS, for triggering an upset event and allowing it to develop. But crew actions also played an essential role in that development.

It does no one any good to minimize or deny this. That's why BEA and NTSB went so far as to release their own reports, in opposition to the EAIB.

IADFCO

Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:17 pm

I'd like to add some comments about the design process. I'll do so in general terms, so I don't have to go through the entire accident documentation -- apologies for the laziness.

Computer simulations of the failures of modern flight control systems (including sensors) can be very complex. However, the simulation of the effects of a broken sensor that is mistakenly stuck at its maximum reading, e.g., maximum angle of attack {"fail high"), is very easy.

Computer simulations of the reaction of a pilot to the failure of a flight control system can also be very complex, and unreliable, especially if various controls (pitch, roll, speed, etc.) are involved simultaneously. If the effects of the FCS failure are in one axis only, e.g., pitch, computer simulations of pilot response become a great deal easier and more reliable.

The computer simulation of the effects of a FCS "fail-high" failure in pitch, and of the pilot recovery actions (whether successful or unsuccessful) are fully within the capabilities of a good aerospace engineering graduate student. There are a few parameters that would likely change from pilot to pilot, so the simulation would have to be run multiple times for a range of these parameters. For example, one can simulate a pilot reaction time of 1, 2, 3, ... seconds, and see how this affects the ability to recover. In particular, one can check whether the assumption of a 4-second pilot reaction time is critical. Thousands or tens of thousands of simulations can be easily run in a day on a modern workstation, and can point out critical situations to be checked by real test pilots in flight.

Again, all of this is at the level of a good graduate student, and is part of the due diligence in the design of any flight control system.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:18 pm

IADFCO wrote:
In particular, one can check whether the assumption of a 4-second pilot reaction time is critical. Thousands or tens of thousands of simulations can be easily run in a day on a modern workstation, and can point out critical situations to be checked by real test pilots in flight.

Although much has been made of the standard Boeing assumption of a 4 second pilot reaction time, that in fact did not contribute to the accidents.

In none of the 3 MCAS activation incidents, did the pilots respond correctly within 4 seconds. Nor was that a prerequisite or requirement for recovery. Nor is it even today, for the mandatory recovery training.

Lastly, Boeing did check out the recovery to improper MCAS activation in the simulator. MCAS was certified with that data. However they did not test the specific case of the AoA failure being the initiating event.

The reality is that you don't know with certainty how a given crew will respond. No one expected that an experienced captain would manage a runaway with electric trim, yet not disable the stabilizer. But it happened twice (JT043 & JT610). No one expected that an experienced captain wouid not adjust the throttle in response to overspeed. But it happened (ET302).

After these accidents, the FAA did extensive simulator testing, with real air crews. They were surprised to find the extent to which the crews all handled the same problem differently, and mostly not in specific accordance with their training.

The result of that was the realization that you cannot design for all possible crew responses, there are simply too many. Nor can you design solely for the trained and expected response, as Boeing did. Instead, you have to design for tolerance to crew responses. For the cases where the crew doesn't respond at all, or responds incorrectly.

These are among the changes we now see in the regulatory certification environment. It's now expected that certification documentation will demonstrate that stability of flight will be maintained in the absence of the correct response, within the limits of physics and reason.

ArcticFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 pm

kalvado wrote:
What would have saved them (possibly) is going by the book, going to unreliable airspeed procedure (pitch and thrust) without raising flaps. Terrain gamble would make it interesting as climb or descent are not guaranteed in that situation. Raising flaps wouldn't cause a problem in NG.

Unreliable airspeed was not the problem here; every single cockpit instrument in both accident aircraft correctly presented the conditions the crews faced. If I'm not mistaken neither accident aircraft had the optional AoA display which, if present, would have disagreed with the other instruments although given the lack of training (or even documentation) associated with MCAS failures at the time it would have been unreasonable to expect a crew to properly interpret that information in the time available even if it had been displayed.

Runaway stabilizer was the correct procedure to follow (which the ET crew did initially) and if executed promptly would have saved both flights. Delayed (or, in the case of JT610, lack of) accomplishment of the procedure resulted in increased control loading which would have required the crews to relax the controls - and quickly give up precious altitude - in order to trim manually. The technique was essentially to let go of the yoke, PM cranks the trim wheel as fast as he can until altitude becomes critical, then PF (and possibly PM as well) pulls up to hopefully establish a climb until you have enough altitude to repeat. When I flew the 200 we trained this technique in the sim but for some reason Boeing no longer prescribed it starting with the 737CL.

Also, MCAS only works when the flaps are up so I'm not sure what delaying flap retraction would have accomplished since the problem would not have presented itself until the flaps were already up. Had MCAS been properly documented (and had the crews properly identified their situations as MCAS malfunctions), perhaps someone might have thought of selecting flaps 1 which would have disabled MCAS but, again, I think it would be asking a lot for a crew faced with a similar situation to come up with that in the time available.

cargil48
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:07 pm

N1120A wrote:
There seem to be many misconceptions here.(...)

One of the best contributions on this subject, I'd say. Thank you very much, friend, that is exactly the core subject why I opened the thread, here.

cargil48
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:15 pm

kalvado wrote:
N1120A wrote:

ET plane was ordered without AOA indicator, but with non-optional failure indicator. The way software was designed, though, non-optional feature was tied to an optional one, and didn't work without a paid option.
N1120A wrote:

Wow... Things get now really weird, here! I think it isn't necessary to say why. Too many options here for the (airline) customer to opt or to reject parameters (or systems) essential for flight safety.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:20 pm

ArcticFlyer wrote:
Runaway stabilizer was the correct procedure to follow (which the ET crew did initially) and if executed promptly would have saved both flights. Delayed (or, in the case of JT610, lack of) accomplishment of the procedure resulted in increased control loading which would have required the crews to relax the controls - and quickly give up precious altitude - in order to trim manually. The technique was essentially to let go of the yoke, PM cranks the trim wheel as fast as he can until altitude becomes critical, then PF (and possibly PM as well) pulls up to hopefully establish a climb until you have enough altitude to repeat. When I flew the 200 we trained this technique in the sim but for some reason Boeing no longer prescribed it starting with the 737CL.

The JT610 flight had reached a holding pattern and was stable at 5000 feet. The captain managed this by counteracting MCAS with electric trim, which he did in excess of 20 times. However he handed control to the first officer, who had not understood what the captain had been doing. In that flight, either continued use of electric trim, or disabling the stabilizer motor as per the checklist, would have resolved the issue. As it did also for JT043.

For ET302, the problem was severe overspeed, and the solution was to reduce airspeed by 100 knots or so, which would have lessened the column forces and also enabled the manual trim wheels.

The roller coaster unloading maneuver was not really necessary in either case, and was not intended for lower altitudes where airspeed is not an issue. At higher altitudes, slowing down to relieve control forces may not be an option, and so the unloading manuever may be required for that case.

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:31 pm

cargil48 wrote:
kalvado wrote:
N1120A wrote:

N1120A wrote:

Wow... Things get now really weird, here! I think it isn't necessary to say why. Too many options here for the (airline) customer to opt or to reject parameters (or systems) essential for flight safety.

As far as I understand, AoA isn't taught as a part of flight control. Probably thinking is not to overload pilots, among other things. Humans have (very) limited bandwidth - I heard 7 objects for continious monitoring - and adding another parameter may just be too much. AoA disagree is a failure indication, but
In addition, in August 2017, Boeing engineers identified that not all 737 MAX 8 aircraft were equipped with an Angle-of-Attack (AOA) disagree alert3 despite intending for it to be standard for the fleet. While Boeing included this issue in updated certification documents in October 2017, it did not directly notify FAA of the issue. Ultimately, in February 2019, FAA reviewed Boeing’s decision and agreed that the alert was not necessary for the safe operation of the airplane

ArcticFlyer wrote:
Unreliable airspeed was not the problem here; every single cockpit instrument in both accident aircraft correctly presented the conditions the crews faced.

AoA, while not directly presented to the crew, is a part of an airdata set used to compute presented parameters. Actually per AoA disagree procedure:
1 Airspeed errors and the IAS DISAGREE alert may occur.
2 Altimeter errors and the ALT DISAGREE alert may occur.
And at least in ET302 captain's stick shaker was activated.

Talk about too much on the plate...

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59 pm

kalvado wrote:
ArcticFlyer wrote:
Unreliable airspeed was not the problem here; every single cockpit instrument in both accident aircraft correctly presented the conditions the crews faced.

AoA, while not directly presented to the crew, is a part of an air data set used to compute presented parameters. Actually per AoA disagree procedure:
1 Airspeed errors and the IAS DISAGREE alert may occur.
2 Altimeter errors and the ALT DISAGREE alert may occur.
And at least in ET302 captain's stick shaker was activated.

Talk about too much on the plate...

For the case of instrument disagree, the trained checklist procedure is to compare left and right sides to the reference instruments. Since the AoA failure ocurred on the left side, the disagreement (and stick shaker) was on that side, while the right side and reference instruments were ok.

One of the unexpected behaviors in these accidents, was the decision to continue flying the aircraft from the malfunctioning left side. We don't know why that was done, as it was not discussed, but a suspected reason was the differential in ability levels between captains and first officers.

In at least the ET302 flight, that decision led to further misunderstandings of the aircraft condition. The crew appeared to follow the incorrect left side, and ignore the warnings that ocurred on the correct right side.

In the JT610 flight, the captain appeared to have a good grasp of the situation, even intuiting and interrupting the repetitive MCAS activation periods, despite not knowing the cause. However neither crew overtly ran the air data disagree checklist, which may have caused confusion for the less experienced first officers.

cargil48
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:16 pm

After these accidents, the FAA did extensive simulator testing, with real air crews. They were surprised to find the extent to which the crews all handled the same problem differently, and mostly not in specific accordance with their training.

The result of that was the realization that you cannot design for all possible crew responses, there are simply too many. Nor can you design solely for the trained and expected response, as Boeing did. Instead, you have to design for tolerance to crew responses. For the cases where the crew doesn't respond at all, or responds incorrectly.

These are among the changes we now see in the regulatory certification environment. It's now expected that certification documentation will demonstrate that stability of flight will be maintained in the absence of the correct response, within the limits of physics and reason.

I'm baffled to read this!

They were surprised to find the extent to which the crews all handled the same problem differently, and mostly not in specific accordance with their training.

Being so... which degree of confidence can one have in the actual aeronautical industry and the standards they apply? Because, friends, let's go straight to the point: What matters in all these problems is not this or that in technical questions, but give the users of commercial airlines full confidence in the company they use to travel, the respective equipment and all the staff involved in flying an aircraft gull of people from A to B. Period.

cargil48
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:19 pm

cargil48 wrote:

They were surprised to find the extent to which the crews all handled the same problem differently, and mostly not in specific accordance with their training.

Being so... which degree of confidence can one have in the actual aeronautical industry and the standards they apply? Because, friends, let's go straight to the point: What matters in all these problems is not this or that in technical questions, but to give the users of commercial airlines full confidence in the company they use to travel, the respective equipment and all the staff involved in flying an aircraft full of people from A to B. Period.

cargil48
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:22 pm

This reminds me that tragic accident of AF447 and how it was later seen that nobody in the cockpit knew anything about the last thing to do: Fly by P & P when you don't know what's happening!...

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 pm

cargil48 wrote:

Being so... which degree of confidence can one have in the actual aeronautical industry and the standards they apply? Because, friends, let's go straight to the point: What matters in all these problems is not this or that in technical questions, but give the users of commercial airlines full confidence in the company they use to travel, the respective equipment and all the staff involved in flying an aircraft gull of people from A to B. Period.

Statistically, risk of dying in a crash on the drive to the airport is close, if not higher, than the risk of flight itself.
And it was long since known (to everyone except FAA) that humans are pretty unreliable under stress, nothing new here. In most cases, there is enough wiggle room to handle suboptimal responses.
Specific feature of MCAS (or infamous Toyota acceleration) is that company broke many rules to get the product out of the door, without realizing it's not a Hollywood movie and happy ending is not guaranteed.

flipdewaf

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:35 pm

cargil48 wrote:
This reminds me that tragic accident of AF447 and how it was later seen that nobody in the cockpit knew anything about the last thing to do: Fly by P & P when you don't know what's happening!...

How do you know when you don’t know anymore?

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 pm

kalvado wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

Statistically, risk of dying in a crash on the drive to the airport is close, if not higher, than the risk of flight itself.
And it was long since known (to everyone except FAA) that humans are pretty unreliable under stress, nothing new here. In most cases, there is enough wiggle room to handle suboptimal responses.
Specific feature of MCAS (or infamous Toyota acceleration) is that company broke many rules to get the product out of the door, without realizing it's not a Hollywood movie and happy ending is not guaranteed.

The statistics might be true, but in my 70 years, I’ve known precisely one person killed in a car accident and, at last count, 15 in plane crashes, both civil and military.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:46 pm

cargil48 wrote:
Being so... which degree of confidence can one have in the actual aeronautical industry and the standards they apply? Because, friends, let's go straight to the point: What matters in all these problems is not this or that in technical questions, but give the users of commercial airlines full confidence in the company they use to travel, the respective equipment and all the staff involved in flying an aircraft full of people from A to B. Period.

It helps to understand this was an extreme case of compounding and cascading errors. The fact that it happened twice, within a period of months, even after mitigation efforts, was itself extremely improbable. A basic truth of all fatal commercial aviation accidents, is they are almost never the result of a single mode of failure.

This actually speaks to the safety of commercial flight. It takes many faults aligning, to have a fatal accident. Regulators are now assuming the pre-existence of one or more faults, and requiring safe operation as a further fault develops.

In terms of my statements about tolerance, that exemplifies the regulators going after human factors. You cannot completely remove error from humans, but you can make it less likely, and reduce the consequences, by advances in design.

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:56 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
kalvado wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

The statistics might be true, but in my 70 years, I’ve known precisely one person killed in a car accident and, at last count, 15 in plane crashes, both civil and military.

Talk about biased statistics! Lots of flying hours should be accumulated between people you know, more than I would ever see in my circle.
The other part of it is flying used to be more dangerous with pilots being at the top of occupational mortality statistics. As far as I understand, you should remember those days pretty well ..

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:08 pm

I didn’t say they were statistically valid, just personal experience. I have no idea how many hours the hundreds of pilots I’ve known flew, but it’s a pretty big number. Certainly the miles driven anmong those people is in the millions. And my experience is shared by many brethren.

True, the fatal accident rate outside 121 is approximately that of vehicle rates, but comparisons are hard.

kalvado

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:29 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I didn’t say they were statistically valid, just personal experience. I have no idea how many hours the hundreds of pilots I’ve known flew, but it’s a pretty big number. Certainly the miles driven anmong those people is in the millions. And my experience is shared by many brethren.

True, the fatal accident rate outside 121 is approximately that of vehicle rates, but comparisons are hard.

If we're talking aviation outside of commercial flying, it's something like 5 dead people a week - compared to about 100 road fatalities a day in US. There is certainly much less flying than driving overall.
For commercial operations, overall safety is totally impressive. That's why rare accidents attract so much attention.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:08 am

Everyone was a paid professional pilot, many with 1,000s of hours, others military. Just not 121 Ang the traditional PPL in a 172.

cargil48
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:46 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

Fred

Because I read carefully the transcripts of the CVR after the "black boxes" were found and analyzed. It also was said that while the captain had gone to the rest room, the second-in-command and the 1st officer were doing each one its own procedure trying to get the plane under control. And, commenting that, someone on the pro side said that what I quoted above, P&P being the safest thing to do when something really serious occurs with the complete instrumentation. As far as - I do add - the A/P is disengaged but in the AF447 case it was automatically due to sudden lack of info from the pitot tubes.

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:34 pm

cargil48 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

Fred

Because I read carefully the transcripts of the CVR after the "black boxes" were found and analyzed. It also was said that while the captain had gone to the rest room, the second-in-command and the 1st officer were doing each one its own procedure trying to get the plane under control. And, commenting that, someone on the pro side said that what I quoted above, P&P being the safest thing to do when something really serious occurs with the complete instrumentation. As far as - I do add - the A/P is disengaged but in the AF447 case it was automatically due to sudden lack of info from the pitot tubes.

Not what I mean, how does one recognise that they (them selves) don’t know what’s happening? Not how do we analyse another’s behaviour in hindsight.

Fred

Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:53 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

Not what I mean, how does one recognise that they (them selves) don’t know what’s happening? Not how do we analyse another’s behaviour in hindsight.

In fairness, the AF447 transcript clearly shows that the pilots themselves stated several times, that they did not understand what was happening. So there is no doubt on that score.

Resorting to the power and pitch tables wouid have been the trained response to safely handle the loss of instrumentation & air data.

kalvado

Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:46 pm

Re AF447: If you have to resort to 15 year old case as an example of how bad things are.... Are they really bad at all?
Can you recall any automobile problems more than 10 year old? Mind you, road mortality in US is on par with gun mortality, and is way way higher than air accident mortality...

rt23456p

Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:46 pm

Even on the Ethiopian airline flight, the pilot already turned off elec hydraulic(which MCAS was tied to), and attempt to manually trim the aircraft back from diving, which was impossible due to the state of the aircraft. If there was a separate switch for MCAS, he would have saved the plane.

Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:33 pm

rt23456p wrote:
Even on the Ethiopian airline flight, the pilot already turned off elec hydraulic(which MCAS was tied to), and attempt to manually trim the aircraft back from diving, which was impossible due to the state of the aircraft. If there was a separate switch for MCAS, he would have saved the plane.

This is highly disputable, since at no point did the crew utilize electric trim to adequately reverse the MCAS input to stabilizer position. The closest they came was about 2 units/degrees of stabilizer, which is a strong nose-down position. Yet they had the ability to fully reverse, as the Lion Air captains both did.

Also even after they gave up on manual trim, and reactivated electric trim, they again did not use it to reverse the MCAS inputs.

We don't know what drove those decisions, but a probable cause outlined by NTSB, is that they did not monitor the stabilizer position, and thus applied only small corrections with electric trim, as they were accustomed to doing in normal flight.

Another possibility is that they believed that 2 units of stabilizer was the neutral position (zero column forces), as they trimmed back to it repeatedly. But the neutral position range for the 737 is typically 4 to 6 units of stabilizer.

cargil48
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:02 am

flipdewaf wrote:
cargil48 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

Fred

That is a long story because it is necessary to go back to when the events happened. The flight crew suddenly had a blank panel in front of them, because the FMC lost the signals from the pitot tubes. It was at night and they were beginning to get into turbulence due to entering the intertropical convergence zone and something never happened before happened suddenly: Due to that sudden absence of input from the pitot tubes, the FMC was from one moment to the other not able to generate data to the FMS and made all the navigational panels get dark. That is where that thing enters which you ask: "how does one recognize that they (them selves) don’t know what’s happening?" Because they suddenly lost all navigational parameter, the A/P and A/T disengaged and they both felt "alone" without knowing what to do (because AF never trained its pilots to such a situation).

cargil48
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:22 am

kalvado wrote:
Re AF447: If you have to resort to 15 year old case as an example of how bad things are.... Are they really bad at all?
Can you recall any automobile problems more than 10 year old? Mind you, road mortality in US is on par with gun mortality, and is way way higher than air accident mortality...

I recalled that tragedy because in both cases something left the crews helpless. Then, for natural icing, something at AF airline noone ever thought it would be necessary training the crews on such an issue (and the corresponding consequences for the aircraft); here in the cases we are debating regarding MCAS also because something happened the crew were not aware of what could be the cause. The constructor built in a software for acting in a certain way under certain circumstances and the crews flying the MAX were not aware of it so tried to react based on their judgement but with no clue about what was happening causing that sudden pitch down of both airplanes. They had not been trained for it. They did not know such a thing could even occur. One prior crew of the same Lion Air 737 had the insight to apply the correct counter-measures, and they saved the situation. Was that captain on the jump seat of the prior flight of the Lion 737 smarter than both colleagues who crashed? I don't know, but fact is that he saved the situation and the other two crews were not able to do it. Sadly, and may they rest in peace. .

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:33 am

cargil48 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

Fred

That is a long story because it is necessary to go back to when the events happened. The flight crew suddenly had a blank panel in front of them, because the FMC lost the signals from the pitot tubes. It was at night and they were beginning to get into turbulence due to entering the intertropical convergence zone and something never happened before happened suddenly: Due to that sudden absence of input from the pitot tubes, the FMC was from one moment to the other not able to generate data to the FMS and made all the navigational panels get dark. That is where that thing enters which you ask: "how does one recognize that they (them selves) don’t know what’s happening?" Because they suddenly lost all navigational parameter, the A/P and A/T disengaged and they both felt "alone" without knowing what to do (because AF never trained its pilots to such a situation).

It's easy to judge the pilots in hindsight at zero airspeed and zero altitude. In the AF447 case, they were confronted by something they had never seen before, at night, in stormy weather, most likely when fatigued. It's a bit like going into the simulator at three in the morning. There's no way you'll perform as well as you would mid morning.

The screens did not "go dark" and the aircraft did not "lose all navigational parameters". That's not how the instruments and displays work. Speed data was lost. IIRC, everything else, including, inertial navigation and GPS were both still working, attitude indication was still working, and so was altitude. If a type lost all the displays from a simple proble failure the type would not be certified.

Even disregarding pitch and power, the pilots failed to do that most crucial thing when something happens and the situation is otherwise stable. Sit on your hands and think for a moment. There are very few situations in a modern airliner where an instinctive and rapid response is advisable.

flipdewaf

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:23 am

Starlionblue wrote:
cargil48 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

It's easy to judge the pilots in hindsight at zero airspeed and zero altitude. In the AF447 case, they were confronted by something they had never seen before, at night, in stormy weather, most likely when fatigued. It's a bit like going into the simulator at three in the morning. There's no way you'll perform as well as you would mid morning.

The screens did not "go dark" and the aircraft did not "lose all navigational parameters". That's not how the instruments and displays work. Speed data was lost. IIRC, everything else, including, inertial navigation and GPS were both still working, attitude indication was still working, and so was altitude. If a type lost all the displays from a simple proble failure the type would not be certified.

Even disregarding pitch and power, the pilots failed to do that most crucial thing when something happens and the situation is otherwise stable. Sit on your hands and think for a moment. There are very few situations in a modern airliner where an instinctive and rapid response is advisable.

Yes, first thing to do is take a deep breath…instinct is often wrong.

Out of curiosity do you ever do simulator sessions when tired or deliberately not functioning to understand effects for human factors first hand?

Fred

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:17 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
cargil48 wrote:

Out of curiosity do you ever do simulator sessions when tired or deliberately not functioning to understand effects for human factors first hand?

Fred

In our operation, we do not do such sim sessions. But AFAIK there have been numerous studies on this. Also sims when the pilots have been drinking alcohol, to study the effects.

IADFCO

Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:30 am

Starlionblue wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Fred

In our operation, we do not do such sim sessions. But AFAIK there have been numerous studies on this. Also sims when the pilots have been drinking alcohol, to study the effects.

Yes, there is plenty of literature on the topic.

In a graduate flight dynamics class the professor showed us the effects of coffee and alcohol on the pilot using Bode plots. In a nutshell, coffee increases the pilot's gain, and alcohol introduces a delay. Both are destabilizing to the coupled pilot-aircraft system. If the Bode plot of the response to pilot inputs (e.g., p to lateral stick or q to lon) doesn't look right, e.g., it is flat between, say, 0.5 and 10 rad/sec, the whole thing can go unstable. BTW, this is what happened with lots of airplanes early in the development, e.g., F-16, Tornado, YF-23, etc. Handling qualities specs guard against this for military airplanes, but not for commercial airplanes.

flipdewaf

The MCAS solution viewed now

Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:37 am

IADFCO wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

In a graduate flight dynamics class the professor showed us the effects of coffee and alcohol on the pilot using Bode plots. In a nutshell, coffee increases the pilot's gain, and alcohol introduces a delay. Both are destabilizing to the coupled pilot-aircraft system. If the Bode plot of the response to pilot inputs (e.g., p to lateral stick or q to lon) doesn't look right, e.g., it is flat between, say, 0.5 and 10 rad/sec, the whole thing can go unstable. BTW, this is what happened with lots of airplanes early in the development, e.g., F-16, Tornado, YF-23, etc. Handling qualities specs guard against this for military airplanes, but not for commercial airplanes.

I’d guess there was plenty of studies but first hand it’s maybe enlightening for pilots but not that useful.

That’s very interesting about the control rates the increased feedback time (changed human response) makes the control loop unstable. It makes perfect sense when it’s pointed out but not something one would immediately think about.

Fred

Starlionblue

Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:55 am

flipdewaf wrote:
IADFCO wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I’d guess there was plenty of studies but first hand it’s maybe enlightening for pilots but not that useful.

That’s very interesting about the control rates the increased feedback time (changed human response) makes the control loop unstable. It makes perfect sense when it’s pointed out but not something one would immediately think about.

Fred

As you say, it makes sense if you think about it.

A common problem for pilots starting on Airbus is overcontrol on final. If you keep making inputs in quick succession you can easily end up with oscillations. The trick is to make an input, relax your hand, make an input, relax your hand. At a guess, this is a similar phenomenon.