Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Yikes!
Topic Author

C550 Operators

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 am

Are there bleeds-off many ops? Sure sounds something like this where pressurization didn't occur. I know it happened twice many years ago on WestJet with their old series 737's. Otherwise, another Payne Stewart tragedy??? https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/05/us/virgi ... index.html

GalaxyFlyer

Re: C550 Operators

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:22 pm

I had 2500 hours in them, long ago. There was no “bleeds off” procedures. IIRC, the switch on the right side pedestal below the radio panel, was OFF, L, NORM, R, EMER. It was left in NORM all the time that I recall. Light, it’d climb pretty fast and there’s no aural warning, the Master Warning on the glareshield and CABIN ALT message. At 10,000’, hypoxia isn’t very apparent, so might have been working a problem, while not leveling at 10,000’. Bad idea.

Yikes!
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:20 pm

Thanks, GF. I can't think of any reason another issue would cause the pilot(s?) inablility to respond to the F16s. The F16 diriver indicated the pilot(s?) was(were) unresponsive. The fact that it crashed with no subsequent fire indicates it was out of fuel. Very reminiscent of the Payne Stewart and Olympic Airways disasters.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:33 pm

Single pilot operation, everyone is concentrating on hypoxia event, there are many types of incapacitation. A friend slumped over in the passenger seat, burst aneurysm, dead in moments. I the fact that there is not indication of passenger actions supports all being hypoxic, but until the report comes out, we won’t know. Eight or so years ago, an F-15 from my old unit crashed in the same area—Board declared it incapacitated for unknown reasons. Autopsy isn’t likely here due to the destruction.

There’s no doubt it was out of fuel, just a bit of unusable in the tanks and engine fluids to burn.