Getting Serious About Being A Pilot

Sat Sep 23, 2000 1:30 am

I don't know if this is appropriate for Tech/Ops, but I didn't want to put it in the "what plane has the biggest lav" forum, as JETPILOT so eloquently put it, and get 73 cheesy responses. LOL. So I just thought I'd share this with those of you who can identify with what I'm about to tell you.

About a week ago it occurred to me that I should really stop dreaming about going to UPT and all that stuff and start taking steps to ensure that I get selected for it once I'm commissioned.

So I went down to San Carlos Municipal Airport that afternoon and signed up to get my PPL and after that my instrument rating.

Yesterday was the first time I went up, just an introductory flight in a nice, fairly new Katana. God.... what a feeling! I experienced the joy of controlling an aircraft in flight. I felt so free! For once I just can't think up the words to describe what and how I felt.

And comparing this to my other two career options of international business or politics, I finally have the satisfying feeling of being absolutely sure of what I want to do with my life. I want to fly.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

— Leonardo da Vinci

How right he was.

Pat

beechbarron

RE: Getting Serious About Being A Pilot

Sat Sep 23, 2000 2:05 am

That sounds like a definite plan AirCanadaSFO! Best of luck to you on your private and instument ratings initially! I'll give you a piece of advice that several pilot friends of mine have given me, and that is to knock out your ppl in 6 months or so so that everything is retained. There are way too many people that work on their ppl for 2 or 3 years just flying "when they can" and forget everything they learned the previous lesson. I agree wholeheartedly with these buddies of mine and am going to take their advice when I go for my ppl. Problem is that I haven't got the 5K or so right now to do it all at once, so I haven't!!! I know, I know, excuse, excuses. Have fun!!!

Sun Sep 24, 2000 2:31 am

Congradulations on your first flight. As you continue in flying you'll see that pilots are a close-knit bunch. Those first few flights are great and a real rush, just wait until you solo! Best of luck,

Greg

Wed Oct 04, 2000 10:30 am

In High School other people asked me about flying and they just compared it to driving a car or playing basketball. But flying is way more special than those things.

Thu Oct 05, 2000 9:30 am

AirCanadaSFO

This couldn't be a better chance to get back at you for the:

"Gyro, I'm really teary eyed with your leaders speech..." in the Boeing vs. Airbus thread.

But I won't, I'm just going to say congrats and have a good time....

Gyro

Thu Oct 05, 2000 10:46 am

Gyro.....

One thing we all have in common, no matter what manufacturer we prefer, is our awe of the magic and wonder of flight, and our love of aviation.

Pat

Happy-flier

Fri Oct 06, 2000 12:41 pm

What a beautiful quote that is from da Vinci. It so perfectly describes why we love to fly. Good luck to you in your career path, keep the faith, and happy flying!
May the wind be always at your back . . . except during takeoff & landing.