dc10
Topic Author

Fly With Only 2 Engines Instead Of 4

Tue Sep 26, 2000 7:36 pm

Hi,
I heard a pilot (not on Concorde) on TV who said that, in case of the Concorde, flying with only 2 engines on the same side of the aircraft was impossible.
I'm quite surprised, because flying in a non-symetrical configuration (only 1 engine instead of 2) is possible. A 747 or 340 is able to fly with 2 engines on the same side, isn't it?
So is it special to the Concorde?
Thanks for any answer!
DC10

RE: Fly With Only 2 Engines Instead Of 4

Tue Sep 26, 2000 10:35 pm

Here is my theory:

When a 4-engine aircraft lose the power of 2 engines, that means it'll lose half of its thrust power. Hence, loosing a significant speed.

The Concorde's wings design cannot fly in low speeds.

Hope that might help...

Ralgha

Wed Sep 27, 2000 2:49 am

It also might not have enough rudder authority to counteract the asymetrical thrust resulting from losing both engines on one side.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

b767-400er

Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:45 am

I think that situlation only applys when you're on the T/o. Cause I guess an aircraft can glide with no engine for quite a while. Are you sure that even a 747 w/2 engines out on one side will be able to survive a T/O?

Tony,
B767-400er
I just moved to CYYZ!!!  

Thu Sep 28, 2000 10:26 am

If you have the Concorde on Flight Simulator than try this. Right after your wheels come of the ground shut two engines off on one side, the aircraft will start to yaw to one side even with full opposite rudder. The power of those two engines on afterburners is just too much

AA737-823

Concorde Can Do It!

Fri Sep 29, 2000 3:00 pm

While Mr. Eric with Metallica may be right, I have piloted the FLIGHTSIM Concorde with ONE ENGINE ONLY. After the crash, I had the same question. So as soon as the wheels came up, I shut down #1, 2, and 3, which leaves only #4. The plane made a very significant decrease in performance, and would not climb as quickly, but I had no trouble staying in control of the aircraft. Now, with two engines at full scream, there could be enough thrust to yaw the plane. But notice, the AF Concorde that crashed lost BOTH #1 and 2, leaving #3 and 4, as Eric did. But, the plane did not yaw at all (see it on the video of the crash) it just gradually descended BECAUSE of degraded wing performance due to fire.
Whew, that was long.
R

Buff

Sat Sep 30, 2000 9:07 am

With all due respect for Flight Sim games, any modern (including Concorde) transport category aircraft can maintain flight with 1/2 of its powerplants shutdown. They will not be able to maintain normal cruise altitudes, (driftdown) but they will be able to maintain flight. Even on one engine of a four engine aircraft.

Climb performance as well as landing climb performance dictate certain minimum gradients for loss of one of three or four powerplants. Some will even provide data for two engines inoperative climb. It is rare and not required during flight testing to lose two engines at the same time during takeoff/go-around. Most regulations require separate failure/shutdown sequences. It is fairly common though to do this during training exercises.

Regarding the statement of the tragic Concorde not "yawing", that is inaccurate. The pilots obviously did a spectacular job controlling the yaw with two engines still in reheat mode. The aircraft did however decelerate to the point of being unable to sustain flight, and consequently stalled/crashed.

Continuing condolences to the families and friends of all who perished.

Best Regards,

Buff

cricri

Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:44 pm

Maintening flight level with only one of the four engines??? Damn... i would never have believed such a thing, i thought that with two engines remaining it was possible to maintain but with one, only gliding.

Buff

Sat Sep 30, 2000 8:39 pm

Read carefully: I said "maintain flight" i.e. control, not maintain level flight or a flight level. Level flight would probably be possible at low altitudes on one of four working.

Best Regards,

Buff