Pilot1113
Topic Author

How Should A Commander Look & Act?

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:03 am

I was just reading this: http://www.iswap.org/downloads/HARPER.pdf and a thought came to mind.

How should a commander (be it a private pilot with passengers or an airline captain) look and act?

What qualities make up a "captain"?

Thanks!

Neil Harrison

AAR90

RE: How Should A Commander Look & Act?

Sun Oct 01, 2000 11:05 am

1. A Professional. You wish to be a professional pilot, then look and behave as you believe a professional pilot should look and behave.

2. If you feel a need to project an image that is not "you", then try to view yourself as you believe your passengers would view you.

3. In the end, you are who you are and IMHO it will show through no matter what you do to hide yourself.

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Thanks!

Sun Oct 01, 2000 2:04 pm

AAR90, thanks again for your help! I value your comments very highly.

Have a good weekend and a safe one!

- Neil Harrison

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Addendum

Sun Oct 01, 2000 2:16 pm

What I'm really afraid of is:

1.) Becoming overbearing. I don't want project that authority where, in order to be assertive, you become that shmuck that everyone loves to hate.

2.) Being too nice and thus being walked all over by the other members of your crew.

I guess I have to find a happy medium here somewhere.

- Neil Harrison

L-188

Sun Oct 01, 2000 4:58 pm

I am going to disagree a little bit with Mr. Harrison.....But I will say that my idea of the image I would want to project and what most people who live in the lower 48 want are two seperate things entirely

If I where to switch back to getting flying lessons instead of my mechanics license I deffinatly would not want to be the typical airline, wear a tie pilot. But then again I grew up on stories of Oscar Winchill, Noel Wien, Shell Simmons, Bob Ellis, and all of the rest of the bush pilots of the twenties.

If I was to project an image of a aircraft commander....I would hope to project one like....well.....Rosie....Brian Dennehy(spl?) character in the movie "Never Cry Wolf". If you saw it you would see where I am comming from. It is a pretty good flick...I love his Beaver!!

As a mechanic I would like to project an image similar to Joe Patroni, George Kennedy's character in the first Airport movie. I know you didn't ask that but I figured it might add to the discussion.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Buff

Sun Oct 01, 2000 9:55 pm

Hi There Neil!

The fact that you would ask such a question means you're well on the way to becoming what you question.

The mark of a good Leader is the ability to listen, to accept suggestions/criticism, to have a sound level of knowledge established before-hand, and to be able to make a decision. In addition, the ability to work with other people and to have them accept your decision making, thus allowing your "team" to move in the same direction at the same time, will provide you with many years of low-stress flying.

Always keep in mind it's easier to pull a rope through a hole than to try pushing it through.

Best Regards,

Buff

AAR90

Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:14 am

Hello Neil, you wrote:

>What I'm really afraid of is:....

Don't be afraid. As Buff wrote, since you are already aware of your future position, I already know you will do well at it when you get there. Relax and be yourself, but be yourself within your position on the crew. Do that and you will do fine -- for yourself and your crew.

>I guess I have to find a happy medium here somewhere.

Authority is granted, but respect is earned. If you've gained the respect of your crew you will seldom need to use the authority the airline granted you.  

For more, please reread some of my comments to your term paper questions.

Relax, you're gonna do great!  

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

L-188

Mon Oct 02, 2000 9:25 am

Neil.

I mistyped your name into my earlier answer instead of the the names of the people who had already answered. I hope I didn't cause any confusion.

I remember this lecture I sat though at UND that was given by Dr. DeRemer. (Anybody who has been there you would know that name) Anyway he was talking professionalism in that industry. Most of it had to deal with dress codes.....The whole time I kept thinking..."I have never seen any DC-6 pilot push pallets of roe in a suit and tie.", "You never see a pilot load up a supercub full of moose quarters in a suit and tie", "I have never seen anybody fuel their own airplane in a suit and tie"

Where I work the official pilots uniform is a denim shirt with the company logo. But we had one pilot who flew mostly freighter runs at night. He usually would wear a nomex green flight suit. Was he less professional?? I doubt it since he is now with Fed-Ex.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there is more then one measure of professionalism. And depending where you live and your circumstances, what people consider professional and what people consider silly.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Pilot1113
Topic Author

L-188

Mon Oct 02, 2000 9:56 am

I under that the uniform doesn't make the Captain or Commander.

I was just wondering how one would earn that respect without coming across as a "push-over" or a jerk. It's easy enough to say that you'll do everything that you'd like done to you if you were in that position; it's quite another to actually implement.

You try to be the nice guy and religate (is that the right word?) too much responsiblity among your fellow crewmembers and they'll most likely walk over you.

On the other hand, you tighten down the clamps and regulate everything that goes on and you're seen as "der furior" (I hope I spelled that right).

If you'll read the opening few pages of that document that I provided the link to, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

I just want to know what makes for an effective Commander. I think that's what I should have asked in the first place.  

I also think that the uniform goes a LONG way in earning that respect. Who are you going to respect more: the guy in the uniform or the one in "civilian" clothes.

- Neil Harrison