OO-VEG
Topic Author

757-300 Luggage Problem

Mon Oct 02, 2000 9:20 pm

Hi.

I have heard that Transavia considered to buy the new B757-300 but they decided not to buy it because the luggage in this type of aircraft had to be carried inside by people instead of containers.
The B757-200 has the ability to place containers with luggage in the aircraft (which saves a lot of time). Does anyone know why boeing didn't do his with the -300 series?????

Thanks

wilcharl

RE: 757-300 Luggage Problem

Tue Oct 03, 2000 12:37 am

Perhaps one of the bagsmashers I mean ramp service agents can verify this, but doesn't the 757 have a very complex loading system almost acordian like instead of the optional tin cans that Airbus offers on the A320 series?

Buff

Tue Oct 03, 2000 7:13 am

Our 757-200's do not have containers. All baggage is hand sorted. The container mod is too heavy and restrictive for our needs. Care must be taken though in loading the #'s 2, 3 & 4 holds so as not to place the aircraft in an excessively (i.e. out of limits) weight & balance.

With the added length, I would expect the -300 has similar if not more critical problems with W&B.

Best Regards,

Buff

AACrew Chief

Wed Oct 04, 2000 2:50 am

At American we free load all 757's but now that AA is installing a automated carpet system is the cargo hold it's much easier to load than before. The 737 also have the same carpet system from what I have been told.

wilcharl

Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:57 am

I think there would also be a problem with pulling a bag. If a pax doesnt fly and the bag has to be pulled (especialy important on international flts with security) Tin cans can be identified and the can with the bag can be removed. If its hand loaded you know the bag that has to be pulled is going to have 150 bags in front of it that have to be pulled out... I think an airbus with tincans would make a much better choice. Im curious how Icelandair handles running a 75 across the pond without delaying flights for baggage problems

UAL Bagsmasher

Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:41 pm

At UA we have a nesting system in both the front and rear cargo pits. I personally like the nesting system in the 757 much better than its Airbus counterpart.

B727-200

Wed Oct 04, 2000 2:07 pm

One of the problems with the B757 is that it has a very long hold, meaning it is a long way to push a bag from door to bulkhead when it is only 44" high in the hold.

The B757 / B737 have three common loading systems for belly space - normal bulk, telescopic bins and sliding carpet. All of these still require every individual bag to be loaded onto the aircraft, which takes time and can create IR issues (becoming an issue in Europe more and more particularly).

All of these methods have prominent downfalls (as can containerisation with occasional internal roller system failure).

Normal Bulk Load:
Very labour intensive. Parts of Europe are looking at putting maximum kg uplift per bagsmasher / per day.

Telescopic Bins:
Take up a lot of room and are quite heavy.

Sliding Carpet:
If the system fails the hold is almost unloadable due to high-friction carpet (almost impossible to slide a bag - just as hard to carry them).

All of these systems have been related to back problems experienced in Loaders.

Although staying with a standard fuselage width (B707, B727, B737, B737NG, B757) has saved a lot on development and re-tooling costs for Boeing in the short-term, I am concerned about the long-term ramifications.

You can get away with smaller narrowbodies being bulk loaded like the A318/19 & B737-300/600, or if you are a low-cost international charter operator that can rely on cheap labour and long turnarounds for the larger variants (plus the B757).

However, if you were a CEO of an airline and told that you could:
A) load your aircraft with 7 containers using 3 ground staff, or
B) load 140 bags individually plus cargo with 5 people for a similar aircraft size.
which would you choose?

I am not proclaiming to be Pro "A" or "B" when it comes to manufacturers, infact, I would love to see Boeing explore a new fuselage dimension for its next generation of narrowbodies that can allow for containerisation. This comes from both being an enthusiast and an employee in the airline industry.

Rgds,
B727-200.