simpilot
Topic Author

707's Re-engined With Cfm-56

Mon Oct 02, 2000 9:56 pm

I've always wondered why more of the venerable 707 series airframes were not re-engined with cfm-56 engines as was done with the DC-8. So far as I know, only the U.S. Air Force has made this conversion with the KC-135 tanker. The cfm-56 conversion of the DC-8 has breathed new life into that aircraft, and dozens of cargo carriers worldwide are currently flying it. With quite a few 707 airframes still flying, especially on the african continent, a cfm-56 conversion of the old workhorse would seem a logical extension of it's useful life. Any and all comments are appreciated. Regards,

Scott

Tarantine

RE: 707's Re-engined With Cfm-56

Tue Oct 03, 2000 2:59 am

I have heard that the inboard engines (#2 and 3) are very close to the ground when the CFM's are attached. Also, being the 707 carries about the same number of passengers as the 727-200. My guess is that it would cost as much to re-engine the 707's as what a second hand 727-200 would cost. But the 707 would have much more range.

Most DC-8's converted where the super 61 and 63's which can carry much more PAX than the 707. I know of no DC-8 series 50 or back that were converted.

As for the USAF, they had over 600 KC-135 tankers that they knew would be in service for a long time & I guess they figured it would be cheaper in the long run to re-engine them than buy a whole new modern fleet.

dnalor

RE: 707's Re-engined With Cfm-56

Tue Oct 03, 2000 8:53 am

From what I have read as well the DC8 has a much stronger airframe as well. Hence longer life with lower maintenance costs.