Cabin Doors During Re-fueling And 6P Station Call

Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:22 am

I have noticed certain computer based flight attendant training packages mention that during re-fueling, overwing exits are to be opened-why is this? The particular topic also asks for cabin crew to perform a 6P call from the crew stations-6P? On 747-400s, the interphones also have 6P printed on the extention list.

I'm a sucker for detail, so please explain!!!!!
Thanks

VC-10

RE: Cabin Doors During Re-fueling And 6P Station Call

Mon Oct 09, 2000 10:07 am

I think you have misunderstood. The emergency exits have to be manned during refuelling if pax are on board just in case there is a need to evacuate the a/c. In which case the doors can be opened quickly. If you opened an overwing door on a 747 during refuelling it is highly unlikely that you would be able to shut it again due to the way the aircraft structure moves as the fuel weight increases. In the past 747s have had to be towed or taxied with the o/wing door almost closed and someone on the handle applying pressure in the close direction in the hope that the movement of the structure during the operation will allow the door to pop back in position.

6P is a unique code that signals "Cabin Ready" to the Flt Dk.

Ratzz

Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:32 am

Well,refuelling with psgr´s onboard,requires the cabincrew to arm all emergency exits in case of an emergency,but I doubt that the overwing exits are to be opened,especially on the 747...
Here at ARN we have to position a mobile stair at wichever rear exitdoor we can access for psgr safety.

Normally,refuelling ops.are not undertaken with psgr´s onboard the a/c...

airnewzealand

Wed Oct 25, 2000 2:00 pm

ratzz are you a flight attendant? If so could you please give me some info on the job and pay as i will be applying to become a flight attendant for Air New Zealand soon.
thanks
Mikey.

SA-JET

Airnewzealand

Wed Oct 25, 2000 4:29 pm

Ratzz is a loadmaster in Sweden-click on "user details" for info on the person posting. There are a number of flight attendants posting on this site-those that stand out: AF Cabin Crew, and [email protected] Post a general query on the civil aviation page, and I'm sure they will give you details: What I can tell you is that the job is VERY demanding-long hours on your feet, odd working hours etc. Working in the service industry is not easy (I was in it) you must ALWAYS keep your cool, and not show agitation towards the client/passenger. You'll be working under pressure-especially in economy class on a 747, when you need to be quick with your Food and Beverage service. Most important, you are a safety officer onboard, and the training will emphasise this heavily, everything from, ditchings, crash landings, emergency landings, evacuation procedures (an aircraft must be evacuated within 90sec with only half the exits available) slide/raft deployment, door procedures(for manual and automatic modes) explosive decompressions, crowd control, first aid, the list continues...Airlines usually require a 90% and above pass rate on all exams before they accept you as a qualified flight attendant. Pay is not fantastic. Base salary for junior crew is low, but remember, airlines are not shy when it comes to crew allowances when travelling away from home. As rank increases so does salary-you WON"T be living on the breadline.
I think it's a fantastic career, and would recommend it to anyone interested-I'll be trying my luck with the interview after completing my studies.
GO FOR IT!!
PS-many male flight attendants are gay, so if you are not, please keep this in mind, and me open minded about the situation. If you are gay, so much the better!

The Ticketor

RE: Airnewzealand

Wed Oct 25, 2000 7:28 pm

At OSL Apt, a fire truck must always be stationed by the acft if you are refueling with pax o/b. I think this is quite common at other APTs as well.

airnewzealand

Sajet

Fri Oct 27, 2000 2:52 pm

Good luck for your studies!!
What airline are you going to be working for after your studies.
I am not gay and know that many are. Alot of MAle flight attendants work for AirNZ and are not gay.
mikey.