Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Too Tall To Be Hired?

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:45 am

I am just shy of 6'4" and am wondering if anyone knows if that will hamper my career as a pilot. I just finished my IFR ride and am fully liscenced, in fact I am going to northern Canada for I job. Thanks for any input!

FLY 8

RE: Too Tall To Be Hired?

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:52 am

Hi!

I really don´t know how much 6´4" are, but I guess this are something about 189 cm. If this would be your height it wouldn´t be any problem! In Europe only the major airlines have restrictions in height! For example Lufthansa has 190 cm and KLM has 195! If your are taller they make exeptions if your are still able to reach all controls without problem!

Sincerly, Benjamin
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

c172pic

Mon Dec 04, 2000 3:33 pm

U should be fine... I am 6'4", and as a fueler, I used to see several UAL pilots my same height... might be a pain in the rear to fly a 1900, but I knew this 6'5" lady who flew for ACA/UAex at IAD, she flew the J-32, OUCH!!!! I felt her pain when I saw her getting into cockpit... I think she moved on to a major now...

Take Care
Dave

G-KIRAN

Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:26 pm

Sorry but you cant fly for BA.The limit is 6"3'.

JETPILOT

Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:33 pm

You will have no problem whatsoever. Your height is not an issue here in the states. That would be discrimination. And thats illegal.

In the US if you can pass the company physical and fit in the seat you'll be hired. And most companies don't have company physicals. So that just comes down to fitting in the seat.

No problem. Don't give it another thought.

Thanks!

Tue Dec 05, 2000 10:41 am

Thank you guys, you've taken a load off my shoulders. C-172pic and Jetpilot my ultimate dream is to work for a US major, I still have a long road ahead, but i love flying. Thanks Again!!!

JETPILOT

Tue Dec 05, 2000 11:02 am

Just remeber Clarence. He was 7'2. They stuffed him in the cockpit somehow. It was hysterical seeing him in the right seat.

"Billy....Do you like movies about gladiators?"

Wed Dec 06, 2000 1:54 pm

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I did most of my flight training with a guy that was just your size! 6' 4"! He was also worried that he would be too tall to fly for the majors. However a pilot for Canadi>n told him that he was fine and had nothing to worry about, and he was happy after that! Hope this helps!

F-WWAI

Thu Dec 07, 2000 11:59 pm

how's the air up there?
no, no kidding, you'r about 198 cm tall and you should fit in most modern airliners. sitting in the 737 cockpit might however get you feel like driving on too small a motor bike...
best chance,
FW

TurbineBeaver

Sat Dec 09, 2000 11:57 pm

Clearance clarence.

Roger roger.
Whats our vector victor?

TB