Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbus380
Topic Author

The Aircraft That I Designed

Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:24 am

I designed an aircarft that I think is aerodynamically perfect. It is a widebody, however it has a Concorde-type design to it. It has the swept wings like the Concorde. It will have 4 PW RR Trent 500s. It will seat 475 passengers and will go 750 mph. I have tested a 35 foot model of it in a wind tunnel many times. I want to submit it with either Boeing or Airbus within the next 3 months. I have prepared many wind tunnel videos and a 15,00 page report. Before I can submit it, I need your advice. Should I use winglets? Will it help the flow of air over the wing? Thanks!

Airbus380

JETPILOT

RE: The Aircraft That I Designed

Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:05 am

One Problem...Fan engines can't go supersonic.

OOOOPS !!!!

You did the wind tunnel testing. Why don't you tell us wheather you should use winglets !!!

Did you remeber to write the wind tunnel data down?

Was there really ever a wind tunnel?

That's what I'm thinking?

JET

Top Gun

Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:20 am

Well said. It'll look good for Flight sim 2000.

310_engineer

Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:46 am

If you think your design is aerodynamically perfect why do you want to have winglets?
BTW what do you mean with winglets to help the airflow over the wing or do you mean canards?

prebennorholm

Mon Jan 08, 2001 9:27 am

Really impressive!!
The most impressive thing is perhaps how you could compress the wind tunnel test report down to 15 pages  
But why didn't you test it with and without winglets yerself?
Before you present your work for A or B I think that you should make sure that RR is on the way with a 750 mph version of the Trent 500  
What L/D did your tunnel tests give at 750 mph at cruising altitude? The Concorde has only 9 at 650 mph, and much less at 750 mph. Since yours is a wide body I'm afraid that it will come out even worse than that.
You are not a great lover of long distance non-stop flights. With 475 pax, four Trent 500s and a Concorde style wing you may be able to lift fuel for 100 miles off the ground, okay, maybe nautical miles  
I think that you should skip your proposal off to A or B right away. Why wait three months becomming a rich man? 
Happy landing, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Mon Jan 08, 2001 12:13 pm

Fan engines CAN go supersonic. the P&W F100 fighter engine is a fan engine. Of course it has a variable inlet and afterburner but it is still a fan engine. But, I do understand the point JETPILOT is making. HBR fan engines built for commercial jets aren't made to go supersonic.

JETPILOT

Mon Jan 08, 2001 12:23 pm

The point I'm trying to make is an obvious one. 750 MPH at any altitude and air density is supersonic.

You are corrrect low bypass fans are utilized for supersonic flight.

A RR Trent is not one of them. I was implying that this engine is not the tool fro supersonic flight. Neither are any of the large fan engines.

wilcharl

Tue Jan 09, 2001 3:05 am

correct me if im wrong but arent most supersonic wind tunnels small.. i cant imagine blowing supersonic air over a 35 foot model among the other things that have already been brought up

prebennorholm

RE: Wilcharl, You Got It!

Tue Jan 09, 2001 3:35 am

Wilcharl wrote:
-------------------------------
correct me if im wrong but arent most supersonic wind tunnels small.. i cant imagine blowing supersonic air over a 35 foot model among the other things that have already been brought up
-------------------------------

Dear Wilcharl, you got it. Airbus380 is bluffing.
Airbus380 hasn't finished his first year studying aerodynamics. He hasn't even finished first chapter in his first book about aerodynamics.
That's the wonderful thing with forums like this one: Fantasy and bluff is (almost) legal.
Best regards, Preben Norholm

widebody

Tue Jan 09, 2001 3:47 am

35ft model? I don't think Boeing and Airbus even build em that big.....as for a wind tunnel to fit it in.......

widebodyphotog

Tue Jan 09, 2001 5:34 am

I must say that I am very dissappointed by this posting. It is an insult to the intelligence of the regulars in this forum. I mean did Airbus380 really believe that we all would just lap this up and eagerly give him the benefit of our knowledge and expertise? Its obvious fraudulency angers me to the point of madness! 35 foot models and giant supersonic wind tunnels? Supersonic engines with BPR's of 8+? Is there some kind of joke here? If so I don't get it. I thought this forum was about sharing technical information and increasing the knowledge base of us all. Not about foolish lies that bring the whole group down. But wait a minute! Maybe I am wrong in my assertions, Maybe Airbus380 has really got this thing figured out? In that case show us a few jpeg's of some of your fantastical engineering achievement starting with that 35 foot model. By the way what scale is that thing anyway?

For the other members of this forum please excuse my display of anger. There are the great many of you that I will continue to respect, and in some cases admire. Airbus380 I am troubled by this. Maybe you should explain yourself further or come clean about this whole thing.

-widebodyphotog

If you know what's really going on then you'll know what to do

prebennorholm

RE: Widebodyphotog, Agree Totally

Tue Jan 09, 2001 8:37 am

Hi Widebodyphotog, i agree totally.
But what can we do? This forum is in principle open to five billion people. What puzzles me most is in fact that some seasoned and highly respected contributors seemed not to realize that they had been taken, even AFTER I made fun of it first time.
We cannot know what type of person Airbus380 really is. And believe me, if he is an eight years old boy, then you would have been proud of his imagination about aviation in case you were his father. But of course it is more likely that it is ordinary sabotage.
Conclusion: We cannot prevent this in an open forum. The question is, how do we keep it down at a tolerable level.
You and I close the opposite "angle of attack". You tell the guy directly how silly he is, while I make fun of him so he should see himself how silly he is. What works best? I don't know.
I am sure that we agree that if it becomes really bad, then we must call Johan to asistance.
I am also pretty sure that we won't see the user name Airbus380 back in the near future.
Best regards, Preben Norholm

airbus380
Topic Author

Your Right I Was Lying

Tue Jan 09, 2001 9:58 am

I was lying. I was wondering if you guys have enough aerodynamic and engine background that maybe I could hire you to help me on my design. No I did not use a 35 foot model, no I do not use Trent 500s on it. I am really using Bristol Siddeley and SNECMA Oympus jet engines. I had a 12.7 foot model. If you are interested in working with me or if you have any further questions contact me.

[email protected]

Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:28 am

Doesn't anyone on here know how to have fun. You guys take things so seriously. Anyone with half a brain would know that most of us reply to these things to yank the chain of the person or persons who are making the ridiculus statements on here. Lighten up people. :O)

TN

tom2katie

Fri Jan 12, 2001 2:34 pm

wow.. if one ever doubted that a sucker WAS born every minute, he would only have to read the replies to this post to restore his faith...can't type.. laughing too hard....

L-188

Sat Jan 13, 2001 8:20 am

April fools day is in April....Then you can have some fun  )
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

VC-10

Sat Jan 13, 2001 4:51 pm

What material are you dreaming of building this craft with ?

airbus380
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2001 1:44 pm

Titanium nitrate. Still in testing.

Accidentally

Mon Jan 15, 2001 6:17 am

Seems like u realized what an idiot you made yourself look like, and said u lied to cover your ass...
Indianapolis, IN

airbus380
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:24 am

I'm looking for people to hire. If you're interested e-mail me. [email protected]

Tue Jan 23, 2001 1:21 pm

Hey VC-10, I think he was planning to make the aircraft out of hollowed out Gouda Cheese, and it was going to be powered by love and good thoughts to at least 750 MPH. The engines are just there so people won't worry and think bad thoughts while the plane is flying and cause it to lose power and crash! They don't really work!!!!

Jeff

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Jan 24, 2001 5:42 am

Wow.... 35 foot model eh? Do your engines employ supercruise technology? I am sure you knew that you have to ramp a supersonic airflow to slow it down to subsonic speeds before the fans can ingest it eh? Anyway..i am sure you arent very old... i used to design airplanes myself...it sounds almost like some of my old ideas. I designed a 3 story "787" with 6 engines when i was like 10 ....kinda looked like an overweight 747. Not to mention the XB-100... a nuclear rocket powered airplane with battleship cannons on it... 5 stories tall in the fusalage with a rather large payload of bombs. Too bad if they built a runway around the world it that thing would use up 99% of it to get off the ground. Ah back in the day.....

If you had actually said you just had an idea and hadnt tested it or anything that would have been cool..i love pondering on stuff like that. Anyhoo.... good luck with hiring... HA!!.
Chicks dig winglets.

Sinlock

Wed Jan 24, 2001 6:31 am

I would love to be on your design team!!!
My asking salery is $500,000,000,000,000,000.95 but we can work it out.

P.S. Do you offer a dental plan?