Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirNova
Topic Author

VHF COM Equipment

Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:50 pm

Hi,
I have a question regarding VHF communication equipment. There is a frequency for "use" and another frequency for "standby".

Same thing for the Navigation equipment.

Can you guys explain to me what the difference is between use and standby.

Thanks a bunch.

FDXmech

RE: VHF COM Equipment

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:33 pm

I think you're referring to the VHF com. frequency select panel on the newer airplanes. Their are two windows, one labeled "IN USE" or "ACTIVE" and the other "STANDBY". The radio frequency in the "IN USE" window is the frequency that you'll be talking/monitoring. The frequency in the "STANDBY" window will become "IN USE/ACTIVE if the pushbutton (p/b) between the windows is pushed. Also, if a new frequency is tuned, it goes on the "STANDBY" window and will require you to depress the pushbutton to move it to the "ACTIVE" window for you to talk/monitor to the frequency. Thus, if you press the p/b, the freq. in STBY goes IN USE and vice versa. If you press the p/b again, the freqs again will switch windows.
You're only as good as your last departure.

FDXmech

Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:38 pm

I don't recall seeing this feature, IN USE/STANDBY for VHF Nav frequencys though. Do you remember what type you saw this on?

aaron atp

Fdxmech

Tue Feb 20, 2001 2:45 pm

the Bendix/King KX-165 is the most prolific radio of that type. Depending on the position of the inner ring on the nav tuner, it can display the current VOR radial or the standby frequency (most people leave it on the latter) on the nav side.

aaron

aaron atp

Tue Feb 20, 2001 2:47 pm

actually that might be KX155, I don't remember... they look about the same though

AirNova
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:17 pm

Thank you very much FDXmech.

Yes, it's the KX155,

FDXmech

Tue Feb 20, 2001 11:35 pm

Hi AirNova,

What type aircraft was the KX155 installed?

Wed Feb 21, 2001 6:02 am

Collins (series 22 I think it's called; not sure) radios/nav/adf has it too. We can actually select if we want to tune on the active or the standby freq.
\BEW

AirNova
Topic Author

RE: FDXmech

Wed Feb 21, 2001 8:29 am

It's just a picture in my book of this radio. So I don't know what aircraft have this radio. sorry.

airplay

RE: FDXmech

Wed Feb 21, 2001 1:00 pm

Collins Proline "CTL" series control heads have standby and active windows for VHF COM and NAV as do most RTUs (Radio Tuning Units) used in newer cockpits.

The KX155 NAV/COM also has active and standby tunig windows on both the COM and NAV sides. The KX165 can display the VOR Radial in the Standby window as well.

The most useful thing about this feature is that you can select a new frequency (preload) without disturbing the active frequency until you need to by pressing the transfer button.

In these types of radios, a frequency change is usually accompanied by a short tone so the flightcrew is aware that a change has been made.

FDXmech

Wed Feb 21, 2001 1:48 pm

In aircraft such as the MD11, the VOR/ILS/ADF no longer have a control head, knobs,etc but are tuned (when tuning manually) thru the FMC #1 & #2 MCDU.