Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

C172-Flying Lessons

Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:40 am

Hi,

I have recently started taking flying lessons on the C172 and would like to know from any pilots who've flown this baby to give me some advice on flying it. I'd appreciate it.

RE: C172-Flying Lessons

Wed Mar 14, 2001 7:19 am

Like any other aircraft there is no one trick on the 172 that will make everything easy.
My suggestion for you is to study, not only the theory part but the practical. Before you go flying sit down and think about what you did last lesson, what you will be doing this lesson. What can you improve how can you improve. Also do some chair flying, sit in a chair and go over all your procedures. For instance when you are configuring for a stall, when you say flaps down, think about checking your airspeed if you are below 110 think about how you can only go flaps 10 and when you are at 85 you can go full flaps. At that time lean out to where you flap selector is and put flaps down. Although you might feel dumb doing this, you will see improvement in your flying!
A couple books that will help you do such things, one is called the Airplane Flying handbook, which has all teh manuvers you will be doing, so you can read ahead, and think about them before going in the plane. There is also a blue pastic cover book called 'Visualized Flight Maneuvers Handbook For Students' That will help you with your chair flying!  Smile
My biggest peice of advice is enjoy your flying! Do not be in a rush to get your license, training is great fun. About the 172, make sure your cargo door is closed (I have made that mistake and you feel pretty dumb), use your rudders, the pedals are there for more then just taxing, If you are flying an older model do not use full flaps (40 degrees) it creates too much drag, and if you have to go around, you have to be really quick to get them up and power in! I used to only put them down over the fence just to assist slowing me down, however I could normally tell at that time, if I was going around! Also remember when you are of teh green arc on the tach carb heat on!
Well I think that is enough for now,
Enjoy,
Iain
PS I get to go flying tomorrow!  Smile I have not flown since Feb 7th, as it costs $210 to rent a 152 over here!

Aerotech

Wed Mar 14, 2001 7:59 am

I will say two things as tips. When performing a stall, you'l soon find out the 172 absolutely refuses to stall! You have to pull the stick back ALL the way. I just could'nt make myself do it at first. Pulling back so far makes you think the stall will be violent, but it's actually better than a 150. A 150 will find it easy to do a wing-over. The 172 does'nt do this. I've never been able to make a 172 slid out from under me. Also, when flaring for landing, the 172 will float very well. You don't have to worry about it stalling 15-20ft. above the runway (which would suck). I found it hard to buy this, because the 150 WILL in fact stall out 20ft. over the runway. But, the 172 has float, then settle to the runway. As my instructor to me, never push foreward in the stick in the flare, just pull back to the desired attitude and allow the airpseed to bleed off. It's sort of a reverse power curve. And remember the rudder as you advance the power for takeoff. You don't want to go down the runway in a drunken weave, as I have in the past. LOL.Good luck!

c172akula

Wed Mar 14, 2001 8:06 am

Iainhol, exactly where do you fly? Over $200 dollars per hour is crazy. I usually pay $115 for a 172 SP, or 80 an hour for a older model. As for any tips FlyerC, keep that ball centered in your turn coordinator, especially on steep turns, with that ball centered keeping your altitude is all you have to worry about. The one thing I found that helped me when I started my private and got to the Circuit is TRIM!! Trim that baby out perfect so you don't break your wrist trying to flare and hold off, makes it a lot easier and less stressful to land. One last thing, if your botching a landing overshoot! Better than porpoising down the runway and off the end. Good luck!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:08 am

C172 in the UK enough said!!

I like tghe advice about keeping the ball in the center and trimming, however you have to make sure you are not flying the plane with the trim! What I mean by that is you put your nose on the horizon where you want it, and just trim off the pressure.

I think what Aerotech said is true however it is to do with weight! If you want a crisp stall in a 172 as you hear the stall warning indicator go off (make sure the ball is in the middle) and gently but surely pull back quite quick, that should give you a nice stall. I am sure you will be nervous stalling for the first couple times, however it is safe, and you will find that a crisp stall is easier to recover over a mushy one!
About landing, I am not sure I like the advice Aerotech has given you! You can easily stall I 172 and drop into the runway, if you come in to slow, and flare to quick ect. I also think that people find the 172 easier to land as it is a little heavier which lets it set down easier.
Iain

Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:59 am

Hey,

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be flying Sat. and will take into consideration all of your advice (the good stuff anyway). Cheers.

PS.
I've already done some turns and I have always kept the ball centered.  Smokin cool