Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

modesto2
Topic Author

FMS Approaches

Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:11 am

What airports have FMS approaches (besides SFO)? Thanks.

airplay

RE: FMS Approaches

Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:36 am

What do you mean exactly by "FMS approaches"? FMSs are used to conduct approaches all over the world. Many are capable of "NAV to NAV" style approaches where the unit transitions from RNAV enroute/terminal ops to an ILS. Some FMSs cannot do this though.

Other FMS approaches are non precision type (VOR DME NDB etc...) with no transition to ILS.

Does the SFO approach plate you're talking about actually say "FMS"? Many approaches have "GPS" in the title to indicate that it is recognized as a non precision approach for GPS operations. Some say "RNAV".

Buff

Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:08 pm

There are indeed "FMS" approaches. Canada started using them about 3 years ago at the request of a major airline. Few use them though due to the increased capacity required by the onboard "box" as well as the reluctance of ATC to assign them uninterrupted.

You can find them for Calgary, Ottawa, St. John's as well as a couple other airports.

Several European STAR's resemble "FMS Approaches" but aren't labelled as such.

Best Regards,

Buff

airplay

Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:41 pm

Buff,

I'm curious. What defines an FMS approach? What's the difference between an RNAV/GPS approach?

OPNLguy

Mon Jul 23, 2001 11:53 pm

As far as FMS approaches go, the only one I know charted as such in the government pubs is at JFK.

http://edj.net/cgi-bin/echoplate.pl?NorthEast/JFK_v_FMS_gr13L-13R.GIF

No doubt there are others, but they may be airline-specific and published only their own tailored Jeppesen manuals.

As far as charted FMC arrvivals, MSP has several, and they're also published for MKE and EWR.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Buff

Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:44 am

As far as I know, the FMS approaches in Canada were designed for use by Air Canada's B767/747 and Airbus aircraft. Canada 3000's B757's lack the data base capabilities so we don't use them. WayPoints are tailored specific to the Jeppeson databases incorporated into the FMC (Boeing) and MCDU (Airbus). They were designed to give constant descent/speed reduction profiles. But in this day and age of high volume arrivals and radar vectors, most of us find them kind of useless in practice.

Differences from GPS/RNAV? Not much I don't believe but I'm not that familiar with RNAV approaches...

Best Regards,

Buff

modesto2
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:21 pm

Airplay, the SFO approach I am referring to is the San Francisco "FMS Bridge Visual 28R." Yes, it actually says "FMS" on the approach plate. This approach is used very often into SFO. When I was visiting Bay TRACON, it seemed like most (if not all) FMS-equipped aircraft were executing this approach.

XXXX10

OPNLguy

Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:23 am

It looks like the plate to which you are refering can be flown by non-fms equiped a/c

The approach seems to involve following the 043 radial from the cri VOR until passing the JFK 295 radial the lining up visually.

I beleive that because of the proximity to other airports there is no straight in ILS for runway 13R/L

I am not a pilot and hope this is correct (apologies if not)