Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

will
Topic Author

FAA A&P Exams

Mon Aug 13, 2001 9:28 pm

G'day,

Over the last few weeks l have been considering sitting my FAA A&P license exams. l currently hold an Australian AME License and since l have recently gained employment with Qantas l think it is time for me to look into sitting my FAA A&P exams.

l'm not too familiar as to what is involved, what exemptions (if any) l'm granted and for me, being based in AU, where would be the most convienient place to do the required coarses and sit the required exams, etc.? i.e. HNL, LAX, etc.

A brief where and how for what is best for me would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Will.....

chdmcmanus

RE: FAA A&P Exams

Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:20 am

Hi Will, Try this link
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14tab_00.html
Look under Section 65, “Certification, Airmen other than Flight Crewmembers”

IMO the best test prep/review company is ASA, this is there site, and they have quite a few different A&P texts available, all by Dale Crane.
http://www.asa2fly.com

As far as where, you need an approved testing facility for the written exams (3, around $70 USD each), and a Designated Maintenance Examiner (DME) for the oral and practical ($150-300 USD, depending on where and how) Here is another link with some contact info,
http://afs600.faa.gov/AFS630.htm
Regards,
ChD
"Never trust a clean Crew Chief"

Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:26 pm

Will, bring any and all documented work experience and schooling to your nearest FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office). They'll make the determination if you're qualified to take the exams.

Dalmd88

Wed Aug 15, 2001 10:42 pm

After you sort through the FAA qualifiy dance get the test guides from asa and hilight with a black marker. Line through all of the incorrect answers and read the test until you can't stand it anymore.

I have had my A&P for ten years I have never touched a piston engine or done any of that wood and fabric stuff on the test. If Dad bought a Cub tomorrow I'd tell him to find a good mechanic. It might as well be the space shuttle. Now if he buys a 727 its $45 hr.

tt737fo

Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:02 pm

>>>After you sort through the FAA qualifiy dance get the test guides from asa and hilight with a black marker. Line through all of the incorrect answers and read the test until you can't stand it anymore.

I relied on ASA and Gleim to get me all the way from my PPL to ATP. Another way to do what you suggested is read the question and the correct answer into a microcassette recorder. Vary the intonations in your voice so as not to get bored. That-a-way, you have something to occupy your time while stuck in traffic, out running, etc.

Sinlock

Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:03 am

Thats a good idea!!! I think I'll do that when I go for my "P" also a if I go for my "FCC".

will
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2001 6:36 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your advice regarding FAA A&P Exams. I plan to sit my exams early next year along with a fellow colleague. We are anticipating on going to California since l guess it will be the most convenient for us both.

DALMD88….. I totally agree with you when it comes to the knowing about rag and tube stuff. I have spent most of my time on Boeings and Airbuses and I’m apprehensive when it comes to the practical test. “I have heard though” that if you show your local credentials and work history you can possibly be exempt from the practical. Do you know anything of this?

Anyway, Thanks again,

Regards,

Will……..

Dalmd88

Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:02 pm

Wil,

The practicals vary a lot. A common tactic I've heard is if the DME doesn't already know you he will be tougher. I took my from my Turbines instructor at school. He still asked alot, but I bet I was more at ease with him. Some will ask more about a topic if you stumble on the first couple.

Be wary of a DME with a easy everybody passes reputation. The FAA has been cracking down on this type as of late. I know of two that lost their authority and everybody that tested with them had to retest with an FAA examiner.

will
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:06 pm

DALMD88,

Thank you again for the good advice. The one thing l forgot to mention to you is that I am impressed with the hourly rate A&P Engineers are awarded, $45:00 USD an hour.

In conjunction with the current pathetic Australian dollar “against the USD”, and along with this being the average rate most A&P’s are getting paid nower days. If this is true, I’m on my way to join you all in the USA. Does DAL need a good B737 3/4/500 bloke?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards

Will………

VC-10

Sun Aug 19, 2001 1:15 am

"After you sort through the FAA qualifiy dance get the test guides from asa and hilight with a black marker. Line through all of the incorrect answers and read the test until you can't stand it anymore." - says a lot about the the A & P mech.

May be that explains why they are called mechs in the U.S while in the UK we call ourselves Engineers. I am currently studying for my electrics licence and there is no way you could pass the exam by rope learning a series of questions. Several of my collegues have tried that approach with the electrics exam and failed. They all have subsequently said that to pass the CAA exams you have to know the subject in depth.

Sun Aug 19, 2001 11:42 am

>>> The one thing l forgot to mention to you is that I am impressed with the hourly rate A&P Engineers are awarded, $45:00 USD an hour. <<<

It's not that high. Delta just gave their mechs a raise to thwart union activity that gives topped out folks just barely over $34/hour. It's a good start for things to come, though.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/FMSbeer.gif[/img]

will
Topic Author

RE: 242 & VC-10

Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:19 pm

You are right, it is a good start in the right direction. I believe that we are all in a good position for when it comes to the future. With the increasing demand for air travel and a short fall in interest of people wanting to become aircraft mechanics/engineers. I truly believe there are good times ahead for us all when it comes to remuneration.

Most young kids these days being introduced to computers are seeking careers that are IT based. I maybe wrong, but I feel the youth of today are for better or worse, spending time on computers and “generally” not playing around with mechanical things, i.e., dirt bikes and cars etc. This I’m sure is having an effect on all sectors of engineering, as less and less are not learning the basic mechanical skills early and not developing interests in anything mechanical. I know there are many out there and possibly quite a few on this forum whom are very mechanically minded and more importantly interested, nevertheless I feel that this is a trend that is generally out there in the world today.

What is your opinion?

VC-10,

We must have a lot in common.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy This year I began sitting my Electrical and Instrument basic exams as well. I’m not the brightest in the world and I am giving myself 18-24 months to get through the arduous task of sitting these series of exams. I imagine the UK CAA examination system is quite like the AU CASA examination system, and the approach you mentioned is quite like what we have to go through as well.

Regards,

Will........  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

VC-10

Sun Aug 19, 2001 3:41 pm

Hi Will,

With reference to your remarks to 242 about the good times ahead, I am sorry to disappoint you but I have been hearing that since I started in the industry 1973.

Metwrench

Sun Aug 19, 2001 4:09 pm

VC-10, I agree. I started in 82 and don't feel that we aren't compensated justly. However I still wake up every day ready to face a new challange. I really do like what I do! Beats the heck out of mind numbing assembly line work!!

Our problem is that we aren't organized, when an Aircraft Maintenance Tech. is looking for work it is too easy to settle for "what ever". Next time you guy's are job hunting, don't settle, hold out!! Enough of us do that and compensation will improve.

Dalmd88

Sun Aug 19, 2001 8:13 pm

VC-10;

This rote learning method will only get you through the Faa written exams. We take three: General, Airframe, and Powerplant. Avionics are not included in any of this. All avionics testing is conducted by the Federal Communications Commission. After you pas the writtens you can take the actual test. The test is an Oral and Practical given by an examiner. Mine took two days to complete.

In the US aircraft engineers are guys that sit at a desk making drawings of airplane parts. Your job and mine are the same. Why you guys call yourselfs engineers has always baffled me.