Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

funny
Topic Author

Please Give Me Feedback.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 7:57 pm

i am doing a project and this is what i have planned to do. How about an airline buys parts of aircraft instead of buying entire aircraft. Therefore for every flight an airline just put parts together to make an ideal aircraft for the flight. Wings can be of different sizes, Fuselages can differ etc. Therefore airlines can fill up the aircraft and not worry about un-efficienncy etc. I would also have different powerplants with differents power capabilities, including vertical takeoff and landing.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK, I NEED IT FOR MY IBMYP DIPLOMA.

Any advice would be tremendous,

REGARDS JASON

Buff

RE: Please Give Me Feedback.

Sun Sep 02, 2001 9:21 pm

Hi Jason: Although the Lego plane you describe might sound good in theory, the maintenance requirements and pilot training demands would far outweigh any economical benefits that might be realized by the company. Perhaps in the future when aircraft are pilotless and computers can determine all necessary settings and configurations, such a method might be economical. Another factor that would prevent your idea from coming to light are the big aircraft manufacturing industries all round the world. They have a vested interest in making such changes as you've suggested very, VERY slowly if at all.

A very interesting idea - hope you can post your final report here. I'm sure there could be a fascinating discussion about it.

Good luck!

Buff

funny
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:40 pm

all the cockpits would be the same and the gorund crew and all the flight attendants would be trained for one type only. this is saving a lot of money by the airlines.

Buff

Sun Sep 02, 2001 11:17 pm

Yes, but the airplane would not fly the same way. It would have variable flight characteristics. Maintenance would need many more resources to work on such a plane. Just look at the "simple" installation of the fuel and hydraulic lines and connections in the recent near tragedy of the AirTransat A330. Mixing and matching of different major components of airplanes on a regular basis would multiply the probability of failures of this nature a thousand fold. These are the extra costs I referred to.

On the other hand, many fine ideas in history have had strong naysayers. Many revolutionary inventions have come from questions just like yours. Just because there are seemingly insurmountable problems in today's industry doesn't mean you might be on to something.

How many people told the Wright Brothers they were crazy? Or Edison, Galileo...and the list goes on.

Best Regards,

Buff

airplay

Sun Sep 02, 2001 11:47 pm

Funny,

You seem to imply that this airliner would be configured based on some knowledge of the load and the route. When would the configuration take place? How much lead time would they need?

Even now with quick change engines, an engine change is not a "gate" procedure. A wing change would require huge jigs to prevent damage to the airframe. It's very easy to bend a fuselage removing large parts without support. C of G would be a serious concern in all of the configurations and probably an extremely expensive engineering feat.

It's also well known that "convertible" aircraft designs weigh more than conventional types because the added structure to retain strength when the components are changed and to allow for a strong attachment points.

I would say that the present arrangement of "the right aircraft for the right mission" in the commercial aircraft world is much more cost effective and efficient than a "lego" airplane.

You may however try and apply your theory to military aircraft. A multi-role configurable aircraft that can use parts from other configurations can be an advantage, and the military isn't as picky about being cost effective.

Smile

funny
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:42 pm

Yes, now that you say it, it does seem a bit dangerous, safetywise. All i would like to know is if this would work in the future when technology is better and can cope with the new complications which are presented.
Thanks