Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nailed That Flight Test

Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:37 am

Well, this Tuesday (9th) I had my flight test and I passed with an 85%, yeah babyyyy  Smile

What I thought was the most worrying was the lack of communications between him and me, not lack of per se, but rather, communications kept minimal. For example I would calculate our ETA to our destinations and he would only say "umm ok" all the flight test like that, I guess it's part of the game.

For those interesed here are my weak points...

1) Power-on stalls - I had a hard time keeping the nose on one heading during the stall. The way I have been taught to do it is
- Full power
- Nose up
- At stall warning continue to pull then briefly pull the yoke full back to really enter the stall (That's at that last stage where i would screw up)
- Control ac with rudder
- Nose down
- Then bring it back over the horizon to regain lost altitude.

Then the examinater took control to show me how it should be done, it was the exact same thing except that at the last stage he would not briefly pull the yoke full back, it even felt it did not really stall, then he let me try it and I had no problems.

2) Crosswind landing
Back at my home airport there was a 12 knots crosswind at around 50 degrees, I did everything by the book and I think I did well, except he didn't liked that I landed 3 or 4 feet oof the centerline, he said if the runway would have been thiner (sp?) I would have had to overshoot and do it again, true.

After engine shutdown that's when he began to be more talkative and smiled back again, pheww what a relief! Then we walked into his office and he calculated my score and announced that I passed with 85%, he signed my logbook and that was all, I passed it.

After that I talked with my instructor about my weakness and my strenth during the flight test, then the same evening I was invited by my girlfriend at the restaurant for a romantic evening  Insane

Nicolas

P.S: C-GZCO, love you baby!!!  Smile

vaporlock

RE: Nailed That Flight Test

Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:07 am

"CONGRATULATIONS" Nicolas!!!

Yeah....baby.................way to go...I can't wait until I get to where you are!!!

By the way...what type of plane did you take your test in??? Have you had the chance to take any friends up yet??

Keep up the good work!

Phyllis  Smile

gocaps16

Fri Oct 12, 2001 8:04 am

Well, at least you performed to him that you can safety operate a plane as a private pilot.
I know a lot of private pilots who told me that they nailed the maneuvers and followed the procedures correctly, but failed to execute a nice soft landing.

Congrats on your practical test. What'd you get on your written test?

Kevin/DCA (Wishing I could move out so I can take the practical flight test.)

c172akula

Fri Oct 12, 2001 10:09 am

I think all the examiners are quiet during the flight. With minimal comments on things like ETA and such, I find it unnerving. But it has been there on all my flight tests! Congratulations!

174thfwff

Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:01 am

Hey man,
Great job.
Can I ask you how much it cost you to do all of this?

-Peace In-
174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:57 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the support! The flight test was in a C152 and it cost me 410$ CAN! 200$ flat rate, that includes the instructor in it and 180$ for 1.8 hours, and the rest is taxes.

I haven't done my written yet, my flight school wants their students to complete 4 of their own exam (free) before they let you do the Transport Canada written, people told me that those 4 exams are really though. I guess this is made in order to nail your MOT (Transport Canada written) at the first time.

Nicolas

Mr Spaceman

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:16 am

Hi Nicolaki.

"Congratulations"!!! It feels good eh!

I have a few questions for you too. Shortly after I earned my license in 1987, Transport Canada amended the PPL training course rules. The new rule on the books was that all students had to attain an additional 5 hrs under the hood. (to help give new VFR pilots a fighting chance, if they got trapped in IMC conditions). Even if you had already passed your written & flight test's, your PPL wouldn't be issued to you untill you logged those extra 5 hrs. (if you hadn't already done so). Was this the case for you? I don't believe Transport Canada has different rules for each of our provinces (well, maybe for Newfoundland! hehehe).

Also, during your training, did your Short/Soft field landing & T/O practice ever involve actually landing on a "grass" runway for real?

Finally, did you ever take your C-152 up to it's service ceiling (around 14,000 ft), to see how her controls responded, and to learn how to lean your mixture properly?

The reason I ask this, is because there are several things that are not covered by the PPL course (in Canada), that I feel should be experienced First with an instuctor. When it takes an average of 65 hrs to earn your PPL...whats a few more hrs of Dual "Hands On" experience. Even if this extra Dual training is not in the books...it's your idea. This is what I did.

PS. As mention by Vaporlock, have you taken up any friends or family yet?

Happy Flying!!!

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

174thfwff

Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:06 am

Nonono, I mean how much has it all cost you to get your private pilots licence?
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Mon Oct 15, 2001 6:22 am

Hey Chris,

Yes, I did the 5 hours of instrument time. It is mostly basic knowledge of instrument flying: turns and rate one turns, climb, descend, recovery from unusual attitudes on instrument (stalls and spiral dive) and finally a simulation of radar vector back to the airport. I think this part of the training really helped me to sharpen my skills, plus as you mentioned it gives you a better chance of coming back on the runway if you ever get trapped in IMC.

Usually when we would go up with my instructor we would take the hood with us and do half-an-hour of instruments, there's never have been one lesson really devoted to this, just 0.5 here and there  Smile

As for the grass runway, I've never done it, we only simulated. When I was approaching the end of the traning I had to sign a contract of location that said that I could only land on hard surfaced runways, if I was to land at a grass strip the inssurance wouldn't cover, I heard that it was common practice at most flight schools.

The 'highest' I took the C152 was at 5500ft, it was on a solo. I'd really like to take it higher, but you picked my curiosity there, does she behave differently around the service ceiling? My guess would be that she would behave like in the slow flight range.

I did not took anyone with me yet, since I haven't done the MOT written yet, I give myself a month for this.

Can I ask you where you are flying from? I remember that you are from the Toronto area. I would like to do an x-country to the island airport, it looks like a great airport.

174thfwff,
I haven't calculated precisely the price but it is around 7000$ CAN with taxes, which is like 4500$ US for over 55 hours.

Regards,
Nicolas