Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vaporlock
Topic Author

What Is A T-Hanger?

Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:44 am

Hello everyone. I just finished reading about Landing Techniques in an aviation magazine. This column covered the regular procedures used for small Cessna like airplanes when they're approaching an airport, all the way through landing and taxiing up to your T-Hangar.

My question is: What is a T-Hangar? I've read many flying stories where a T-Hangar is mentioned. Why is it called this? All the hangars that I see at the small airports around Toronto have airplane hangars that simply look like large square parking garages. I'm just curious.

Are there any T-Hangars in these pictures?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Steve Hall

Click for large version

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Click for large version

Photo © Adam Cramer

Click for large version

Photo © Peter Adler Juul

Click for large version

Photo © Rodolfo Philipp

Click for large version

Photo © Rodolfo Philipp

Thank You.

Phyllis

JFK31R

RE: What Is A T-Hanger?

Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:34 am

I think I might know what you are talking about, but I might be wrong.
Most hangars which house large commercial aircraft like DC-10, or MD-11 have a vertical rectangular space going upwards so the vertical stabilizer of a large aircraft can clear the hangar. But I don't see what that would have to do with a Skyhawk...

-Tom

desertjets

Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:45 am

Very simple, the footprint of the hangar is a T. Hence the name T-hangar. Since most light aircraft have the wing fairly far foreward the hangars can be t-shaped... plus this allows airports to squeeze in more hangar space in a given area, giving them more revenue from rent.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

vaporlock
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2001 5:15 am

Hi guys. Thank You for responding. Unfortunately I don't quite understand yet, and no...I'm not a blond! hehehe.  Smile I'm trying to visualize what you are saying DesertJets, you did mention that a T-Hanger is used for light airplanes, which is what these pilots in the stories I read were flying.

By "Footprint", do you mean the walls contact the floor in the shape of a T, so that you would see a T shape if you look down from above?

Do these T-Hangers have hangar doors?

I guess that there were no T-Hangars in the pictures I posted. Could you guys post a picture for me...if you can find one.

Thanks,

Phyllis

Buzz

RE: What Is A T-Hanger?, Part 4

Sat Oct 27, 2001 11:20 pm

Hi Vaporlock, Buzz here. Desertjet has the right idea. If you look at the Cessnas, Cubs, Champs, Cherokees from above, and you wanted to get as many in a small place as you could, you could line them up in 2 rows, tail to tail. Now if you offset the airplanes a bit you could fit the tail into the space where the 2 adjacent wings meet and you could push the rows of airplanes back a little more. If you built a long shed to cover the row of airplanes you just squeezed together, you could divide the shed into T-shaped compartments, so each airplane has someplace to store important stuff next to it like a toolbox, case of engine oil, old couch, coffeemaker, etc. There are doors that roll open so you can push your favorite flying machine out onto a taxiway and go flying.

T-hangers are popular out here (Portland Oregon). It keeps the rain off so the cabin doesn't get moldy and the airrame corrodes less.

G'day
Buzz Fuselsausage: Line Mechanic by night, DC-3 Crew Chief by choice.

Metwrench

Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:23 am

Buzz, I understand exactly what you are saying, but I've seen them before.

Vaporlock.

Go too:

http//www.erect-a-tube.com/nestedt.htm

Full description and diagrams.

Met

Western727

Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:43 am

You don't know what a T-hanger is? How tragic. (And I'm only half joking.)
Jack @ AUS

Mr Spaceman

RE: What Is A T-Hangar?

Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:13 am

Hi Vaporlock.

The information given to you so far by all these guys is really good. The link posted by Metwrench is great. You can now visualize what these T-Hangars actually look like.

I see that you are also from Toronto. If you want to see T-Hangars up close and personal, just take a nice drive out to the Brampton Airport (NC3). It's only 12 miles northwest of Toronto's Pearson Intl Airport (CYYZ). This airport has a whole bunch of T-Hangars (I'll guess over 20 that hold about 20 aircraft each). Other GA Municipal airports around Toronto, such as Buttonvile, City Center, Oshawa, etc, don't have T-Hangars like Brampton does.

As mentioned and shown above, these hangars are quite unique. I've even seen photos of individual T-Hangars that housed only ONE aircraft (located at Brampton Airport in the mid-50's). They were literally wooden hangars shaped like a T, that you could squeeze 1 bird into. I wonder why they didn't just build them square, when they sat in a field all alone? They would have had more room.

>Check out this site: www.flybrampton.com Once the homepage comes up, click on the word AIRPORT. In the photo of Brampton Airport, the clump of rusty coloured buildings beside the parking ramp are actually ALL T-Hangars. They're in great condition, and are painted orange.

Vaporlock, if you haven't been to Brampton Airport, you should visit it some day. It's a great place to watch small aircraft flying on weekends. LOTS OF FUN!!!

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:18 am

A T-Hanger is what you put your shirt on.

A T-Hangar is where you store an airplane.