Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kaddyuk
Topic Author

A340 Cargo

Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:06 am

Have airbus built a Cargo Only version of the A340. I am just wondering for some aircraft research. I am looking into other possible profitable cargo aircraft other than MD, DC and boeing 747s
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Ratzz

RE: A340 Cargo

Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:29 am

To my knowledge they have not yet built a cargo version of either the 330 or the 340...but you´ve got a lot of Airbuses flying in cargo versions,such as the 300&310´s...

Or if you want to be really odd,opt for some research on any Soviet/Russian made a/c....some can really haul great oversized&overweight loads,but there´s no fuel economy whatsoever...not to mention the difficulties in finding spares....

Thus making it hard to turn profit...but then again..if the customer pays the asked prize....well yno.. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:34 am

If they built a cargo version of the A340-200/300 would mean putting higher thrust engines than the standard 34,000lb thrust CFM56-5C4s.

A330-243

Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:42 am

How about reasearching the Tupolev Tu-204 Cargo. Some might say a B757 with winglets. I think its a cool looking plane. Powered by PW2000s.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dirk Jaeger

Airliner.net info on the Tu-204C. https://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=377

Ratzz

Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:08 pm

A brief note then:
-There will most certainly be cargo converted A330´s&40´s when they get older or when a airline shows intrest in them as cargo only a/c´s...

The Tu-204C could very well be a photocopy of a 757 despite what Tupolev design bureau says...either way TNT flew a few testflights with it on ARN almost a year ago..dunno the exact outcome of those tests.but from a ramprats p.o.w it was nothing new...when it came to loading/unloading.

racko

Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:16 am

the A340-600 has much more powerful engines, so maybe we will see it as a freighter  Smile

prebennorholm

Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:51 am

We may some day see a A330 as a cargo plane, but I doubt about the A340 versions.

Ultra long range planes like the A340 take along a huge fuel load and a relatively small payload. Passengers like nonstop flights even when they are long, but cargo doesn't care about a fuel stop.

Making a half way fuel stop you could take along much more cargo, and you are paid per ton/mile, not per seat/mile. And you are not paid for transporting large quantities of fuel 5,000 miles or more.

Very long range flights demand double crews and crew rest areas. Crews could instead be swapped at the fuel stop.

Same way I don't think that we have ever seen a B747SP cargo conversion. It would be a rather bad cargo plane just like the A340.

The A300 is the perfect cargo hauler since it from the beginning was designed for a very high payload factor - completely opposite to the A340. It pays for that with a relatively short range. Still it makes it coast to coast in the USA, so naturally it has become very popular as a cargo plane.

Regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

yyz717

Tue Dec 25, 2001 1:23 am

AI has talked about launching a 332F. Fedex (no doubt a likely customer) has stated though that they are not interested.

The 330/340 continue to sell well in general as does the 777. A specific customer request for an F version would convince AI/Boeing to develop a cargo version but it hasn't happened yet. No doubt there will probably be cargo versions available later this decade whether as conversions from pax configs or directly from the manufacturer.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.