Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planelover
Topic Author

What's The Smallest Turbine Engine?

Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:46 am

Hey all,
What's the smallest turbine engine in production? How much power does it have? What's the dimensions for it? (doesn't have to be exact) Thanks for you all's help.

Have fun.

RE: What's The Smallest Turbine Engine?

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:48 am

There a some turbine engines that are used in radio contolled that can be held in your hand! There was a program on cable last week that featured several of these models - they run on jet fuel and sound just like their full scale cousins. It was pretty neat when they flew past the camera. A scale model F4 Phantom. Way cool!

Dufo

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:52 am

Check out these links:

http://www.gasturbine.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/newpage.htm
http://www.gtba.cnuce.cnr.it/LINK.HTM
http://www.amtjets.com/
http://212.73.32.211/hosting/gespiell12/inicia.htm

Lotta fun I guess hehe. I'd personally get an old JT8D and fire it up on the backyard.

Jernej
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

delta-flyer

Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:02 am

The smallest that can actually power an airplane that carries passengers is the Williams FJX-2. It will be used on the Eclipse. The thrust is 700 pounds, but the engine weighs less than 100 pounds.

Check it out at http://www.williams-int.com/product/product_index.htm

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Dufo

Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:22 am

This is even smaller passenger(pilot) carrying plane than the Eclipse.. 2x 163lbs of thrust.

link

Jernej
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

MagicMan_841

Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:02 pm

I think the smallest engine on a certified airplane is those on the Eclipse 500....I dunno the model...but they're tiny!

Magic

prebennorholm

Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:42 am

The smallest turbine engine ever to run is about the size of a dime. Weight is just over one gram, or about 1/20 oz. It spins at about 2 million rpm.

It is of course not meant for flying. It is connected to an equally small electric power generator which is expected, when fully developed, to generate a few tens of Watt.

Its pupose is to be built into the backpack of an Army soldier and power such things as satellite communication gear, night vision goggles, GPS navigation gear, maybe even heated gloves/boots.

It has so far only run in a test bench, and auxiliary equipment such as fuel pump and starter has not been fully developed.

The aim is to make it run for 72 hours before worn out, but that goal is still far away. That way it might replace 100 - 200 lbs of lithium batteries with one pint of propane fuel.

Regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

planelover
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:19 am

Thanks you all. Is there any turbine or turboshaft engines (not jets) that have about 500 shp? If there is, does anybody know the approximate size? Thanks again.

aeroguy

Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:46 am

Williams International is also developing derivatives of the FJX-2 turbofan in the form of the TSX-1 turboshaft and TSX-2 turboprop. The TSX-2 is supposed to produce 500 shp and weigh 130 lbs. It will have a length of 41 inches and a diameter of 13.5 inches. I believe the TSX-2 is in ground tests, not sure what is happening with the TSX-1.

planelover
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:10 am

Hey,
That's just what I was looking for. Does anybody know the price of the TSX-2? What's the max RPM? Does anybody have any more info on the TSX-1?
Thanks again.