Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

captjetblast
Topic Author

Ailerons And Rudder At Cross Landings?

Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:20 am

How do you manage to safely land in case of a cross wind?

During a cross wind landing, is always the rudder heading to wind and ailerons to the opposite direccion?

Thanks

ThirtyEcho

RE: Ailerons And Rudder At Cross Landings?

Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:43 am

There are several crosswind methods: crabbing into the wind with rudder only (useful only in light crosswinds); rolling into the wind with aileron; a combination of crab and aileron. The later method is the most common. The crosswind correction is maintained right into the flare and taken out right before touchdown. Some aircraft have crosswind landing gear so the plane can touch down at an angle to the runway. Additionally, a further sophistication would be (say that there is a crosswind from the left) to mantain the crab/bank, touch down on the left main gear first, then take out the angle and go straight down the runway. Multiengine airplanes can use differential power, also.

c172akula

Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:44 am

In a little General Aviation plane(Cessna, piper, light twins) you go with Ailerons into the wind, and opposite rudder to keep the plane lined up on centerline. In fact this holds true with all aircraft, although some on twin engines or more, may use differential thrust to help with the crosswind as well.

Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:25 am

ThirtyEcho,

Just a correction, you said that crosswind correction is taken out right before touchdown. I'm not sure if you are talking about the wing low method or the crabing method, but in the case of the wing low method, crosswind correction is maintain all the way down and at touchdown aileron are increase into the wind, they are also left into the wind for rollout and taxi.

ThirtyEcho

Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:25 am

Yep Nicolaki; I was just trying to keep it simple. Actually, aileron and elevator should be used when taxiiing in high winds, even on the taxiway at low speeds. This is a disadvantage that tricycle gear has when compared to a taildragger; it can go over on its nose with a high following wind on the ground. Either type can be blown over onto a wing while taxiing.

cdfmxtech

Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:41 am

Fly an Autoland Approach!!!!

saab2000

Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:47 pm

My airplane does not have autoland capabilities!! We have to land it ourselves. When I make crosswind landings in my Saab 2000 I use (on fairly short final) rudder to keep the nose lined up with the centerline and aeleron to keep from drifting off the runway. If it works out the way I would like, there will be a slight bank on touchdown with the upwind gear touching down first. Sometimes it is really smooth and sometimes, like yesterday in ZRH, it is a real crash landing. Of course, yesterday was very gusty with a 90° crosswind and a gust got me right at touchdown. Oh, well... There is always next time!!
smrtrthnu

D-aqui

Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:30 am

It is reassuring to read the honest account of a professional that it is not only private pilots like me that are caught by the odd gust during the flare.

d-aqui

TurbineBeaver

Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:24 am

I was landing yesterday, and boy did a gust screw up my landing! I was doing GREAT, and had maintained my wing low, and was keeping lined up on the center line, when all a sudden a gust hit, (just as I started to flare) and made me yaw, I moved off the centerline, and landed with a HEAVY side load, and not on centerline!

Oh well...I'll have to do better next time.

TB