CPH-R
Topic Author

Concorde Eng #4

Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:27 am

I've just watching through the Just Planes' Concorde video, and I'm now in the second part.

Now, the FE has just said that the number 4 engine goes at a slightly lower RPM than the rest, on take-off.

What's up with that?

Beefmoney

RE: Concorde Eng #4

Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:22 am

Well, I fly small cessna's so Im not an expert o the Concorde, but...... When the blades are spinning in the engine, clockwise I assume, it creates torque, which causes a tendancy for the airplane to turn and yaw to the left. Now with the tremendous amount of tourque that could be created by the Concordes very powerful engines, you may need somthing to counter act that. That us why I am guessing the have a lower power setting on the #4 engine during takeoff, so that they will have more power on th left side to offset the torque.
Anyway, my $.02

jsuen

Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:31 am

I don't think it has to do with the torque, you would have a greater problem with a 747. Takeoff thrust on the Concorde is only about 38,000 lbs per engine.

It probably has to do with using bleed air from the no 4 engine. Several airliners do that. For example, the 727 does not bleed as much air from the no 2 engine, and consequently its speed is slightly higher.

B1C17L1011

Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:54 am

I saw a video of concorde taking off and noticed that the #4 engine reached full after-burner a few seconds later than the other three which lit simultanously. You could see the pilot correcting with a left rudder imput as the tail moved.

Any answers.

Beefmoney

Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:00 pm

Jsuen- You are probably right, after all, I know that jets dont produce as much torque as my cessna, but that was the only thing I could place as a reason for the power reduction. It couldnt be an airflow problem because that would occur on the #1 engine as wel. So it would have to do with some internal component that needs less or doesnt need as much power/bleed air etc.. to run properly. CPH-R- Did he say this was the case with all concordes, or just with this particular one? If it was just the specific one, it could be because the #4 engine is newer thatn the rest and can output more power. What are your thoughts on this?

musang

Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:19 pm

Hello CPH-R, here's the reason.

The engine intakes are angled slightly towards the fuselage centreline, so as to align with the airflow at supersonic speeds. The lower the speed, the further from aerodynamic perfection they are, as the air going into the intake is forced to change direction slightly. This causes slight vibration, as the air doesn't meet the compressor first stage (N1) head on.

The situation is complicated by the fact that the engines all rotate the same way, as you'd expect. The relationship between the air going into the No. 1 intake, and its engine, is therefore slightly different from the situation at No. 4. (and No. 2 vs. No. 3). Due to the spanwise airflow, in other words the left/right component of the stream, which is different from that at supersonic speeds, and different for each intake in relation to its compressor, the mismatch at No. 4 four is the greatest.

That was a bit wordy, so here it is from the (British) Chief Test Pilot - "the effect on the blade vibrator modes is markedly different for each engine" (quoted from Brian Trubshaw's book Concorde - The inside Story, page 44). "So much so that the N1 on engine 4 is automatically held down up to 60 knots, when it is released".

So at 60 knots, the No. 4 intake is judged to be feeding air to its engine at an angle acceptable to the fan, and the vibration is less of a problem.

Torque is insignificant on jets, and any bleed air off-take, generator or hydraulic pump loading would be compensated for by the fuel control unit so as to keep the thrust up to the required level.

Regards - Musang

CPH-R
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:32 am

Thanks (again) Musang

I had some wild theory myself, that it might be due to the take off procedure from 31L at JFK, which requires the Concorde to make a hard left turn right after PRC is achieved. This turn would, of course, be much easier if differential thrust was used.

Which reminds me: How come there are very few shots of aircrafts on the Canarsie approach to 31L/R at JFK? IT ought to be interesting enough!

lmml 14/32

Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:56 pm

Are the afterburners engaged by advancing the throttles to the corresponding detent or is there another "switch"? Does Concorde have autothrottle? And is the IRS different due to the high speeds?

musang

Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:15 pm

LMML it does have auto-thrust, the afterburners are operated by individual switches located at the base of the thrust levers, and as far as I'm aware the IRS is conventional.

Regards - Musang

CPH-R
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:22 pm

The reheats are primed, and once the throttle levers go beyond a certain position, they become engaged.

b767-400er

Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:12 am

Confirm there are switches at the base of throttles for reheats, check this out:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Philippe noret

Those white switches are the reheat engage. Another interesting thing, when the Concorde is going transonic, the reheats are relighted 2 at a time because lighting them again at the same time would pin the pax against their seats for a second or 2.

Tony,
B767-400er

GDB

Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:28 am

I was going to answer this one but Musang and B767-400er have done it for me!

CPH-R
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:29 am

Tony, then you can wonder if it would actually be a shame, or if it would add to the "glamour" of Concorde? I mean, which other passenger aircraft has the ability to pin you against the seat?  Big thumbs up

b767-400er

Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:31 am

CPH-R:

Very true. But then, I guess people that can afford the 10 grands US (ie politicans, businessman, etc., perhaps a few rich avaition enthuasists) wouldn't want to be "shaken-up" a bit.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Not to mention spilling their wines.  Laugh out loud

Tony,
B767-400er

CPH-R
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:10 am

Whoa, my bad. How could I forget the chadoonnay, champaign.. mmmhh... champaign...

GDB

Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:16 am

You may be spared a kick in the pants when the reheats come on, but get ready for a fast stop when landing!

Trent_800

Sun Feb 24, 2002 7:35 am

Id be willing to bet most airliners (apart from A340  Wink/being sarcastic ) would pin you into your seat if it were traveling light and the pilot was having a bad day and firewalled the engines.

EssentialPowr

Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:52 pm

CPH-R:
Differential thrust would cause a yaw, which would cause an uncoordinated turn.

Turning the Concorde is no different than turning a C172- it is accomplished by the horizontal component of lift as a result of a bank angle other than wings level.