Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jobs After Flight Training?

Tue May 07, 2002 3:46 pm

I'm wondering where you got your flight training from. How many hours you got. What plane you flew and what job did you come out with in the end. And flying which plane. Im considering where I want to do my training.

JETPILOT

RE: Jobs After Flight Training?

Tue May 07, 2002 5:24 pm

I went to FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach.

I Flew:

Piper Cadet
Piper Seminole

I had 230 TT and 100 mulit when I graduated.

My first job was a flight engineer on a DC8. I later moved up to FO w/300TT 100 multi.

Most don't go this route and probably don't know it exists. But it's an option not to be overlooked. There is no other possibility to be flying heavy metal in the states with this time.

Another advantage is the high pay usually $55.00 per hour to start vs. CFI/Regional pay.

JET

I LOVE EWR

Wed May 08, 2002 7:53 am

JETPILOT, I am currently attending a 4 year university due to scholarship, however when I graduate I was thinking about attending Flight Safety International in Vero Beach, FLA. I have a few questions for you though. Do you think you can email me at [email protected] when you get the chance. Thanks for the time.

FLY 8

Wed May 08, 2002 6:02 pm

Hi!

I did all my flight training in California. Thereafter I flew for parachute jumper and stuff like this. When I came back to Europe I had about 750TT and 100 Multi. I took the Eurpean Licence (just a written test and a checkride), and I got a Job in a Learjet 31A. Flew it for about one year bevore I moved on to the Airlines.
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

TurbineBeaver

Thu May 09, 2002 11:27 pm

JETPILOT,

That is really interesting route. So they will hire F/E's with that few hours? I would be very interested in doing that. Hmmm, can you comment any more or give any info about that? Too bad there aren't too many 3 cockpit aircraft left, but I guess I could always look towards the cargo haulers.

TB

dragogoalie

Fri May 10, 2002 12:05 am

Too bad there aren't too many 3 cockpit aircraft left

whoa...am I missin something here? 3 cockpit would either make 6 or 9 crew members  Wink/being sarcastic j/k I know what you mean.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

JETPILOT

Fri May 10, 2002 3:41 am

After I finished FlightSafety I went to Fine Airlines and was hired on a friends recomendation.

But at the time they were running a flight engineer training program. The program consisted of FE ground school and sim training, the checkride, 25 hours of IOE, and then upon succesful completion you were eligable for emplyment with the company.

Fine Air doesnt offer the program anymore, but there are a few places that still do. Aeroservices in Miami is one. I think the cost is 7,000 dollars and includes the above. They arrange IOE with one of several companies they deal with, and if your good you will usually get hired.

My situation was not typical as I flew as an FE for about 6 months then was upgraded to FO.

But guys do this all the time. I have a friend that did this with Arrow Air when they had their program. He trained as FE on the DC8 and before they put him online he was put back in school and retrained as L1011 FO.

My previous emplyer Express.net was hiring guys into the right seat of an A300 with 400 TT.

The ad hoc freight carriers have some very good opportunities. But they are slim pickings, and it's being at the right place at the right time.

The FE seat was terrific experience. Without it my chances of being a succesful in the FO position with such low time would have ben virtually impossible.

JET