Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BO__einG
Topic Author

RE: YYC Operations For G8 Summit

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:42 am

UPDATE: There is a Russian State Transport Aircraft IL-62m headed towards YYC at this time. It will arrive at 8:34pm from Ottawa.

This is from what I heard out of flightarrivals.com
Anybody who is still going, here is your chance. I will head out there... AGAIN!!

bah!
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:40 pm

Kay, got back again. I hammered the IL-62 as it came about 9pm from Ottawa.

It is parked at Shell right now and its wing is almost over the fence. But Beware!! The plane Stinks horribly!! The rampies jsut had to empty out the poop tanks infront of all those people including me and the Il62 smells like the Bonnybrook Sewage treatment plant in Ogden.

But I got some nice shots with my ladder  Smile . Some cops were weary but they were cool. Also Air Algerie came as well, Boeing 763.,. WOW!!!

I will post a map of this entire shit soon enuf.
By the end of all this fiasco, I shall have over 500 photos.  Laugh out loudDD
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

fallingeese

Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:58 pm

Ok, I just got my shots back. Some are pretty good, while others I have the excuse of it's hard to balance on a bench/ladder/planter/fence.

Who's gunna show up on Friday? I'll be out there. What are the departure times?
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:16 pm

Mark, I need a ride from u on friday morning. Can your car fit my ladder?

Lets also see some shots.  Smile I cant wait!
hehehe, its tuff to shoot with all those factors. but as long asu dont fall, its best it can get for shooting behind the fences,,

serge

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:16 pm

Gonna post any online Fallingeese?  Big grin.. I am anxious to see all the action..

...Serge

fallingeese

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:25 pm

Ya I'll be able to pick ya up Bo. The other Mark should also be comming along. Should be able to fit your ladder...right next to mine. Still no positive I'm going but most likely I will be.

I've gotta find time to scan them in, it doesn't help that I suck and fixing up the shots...

fallingeese

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:26 pm

My last two days have consisted of Spotting, than race to work in time Smile, friday is going to be different.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:36 pm

Alright, thanks mark! Saves me a life time of misery of the BUs and Ctrain!!

http://www.g8.gc.ca/videos-e.asp?id=1

There are videos and pictures of the G8 stuff. I am watching the Airforce One land. Really nice!!

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:46 pm

Here is some more.

http://www.g8.gc.ca/videos-e.asp?id=2

This shows the arrival of Putin and African guys.

Squigee

Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:53 am

Do you guys have times for when they will be departing on Friday? I'd hate to stand around all day, and then found out they left 20 minutes before I got there  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

c172akula

Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:52 am

Hate to break the news to you guys, but the majority of the leaders are departing this late afternoon between 3-9 PM. The Japanese and some of the African nations are staying until tomorrow. But I suggest you be here today or you will probably miss most of the departures.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:55 am

oh jeez,
Weather is also starting to cloud up.. This is not good.
But I will still go in this monster 31 degrees.

Here is a diagram of YYC showing all the planes and where they are parked right now. And also it shows where all the coppers are.  Smile

http://genji.image.pbase.com/u11/bokimon/upload/2748471.airport_closures_detail1.jpg
Here is the link if the picture doesnt loads.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:07 am

Squigee

Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:04 am

I feel bad for any spotters out there- We're having one of our "Calgary Storms". I can't even see the airport out my window, looks like rain and thunderstorms are moving in, and the construction around means the wind is carrying lots of dust into the airport too!

As well, I was told Bush left a few minutes ago. Confirmation, please? I heard some helicopter activity, so that might have been it

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:36 am

Smile Smile Smile(

Bush did leave. American VIP planes are now gone.
British Prime Ministers BA plane is leaving now  Sad

I will head out there and see if I can get some shots of anything remaining.

c172akula

Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:53 am

I just got to watch both AF1 and Sam29000 leave, plus the departure of the 777! The 747's left just after the passing of the thunderstorm, with Speedbird leaving about 20 minutes ago. I heard the German's on the radio a while back, so they should be leaving pretty quickly as well.

By the way, the BA flight showed up under departures for Calgary on www.flightarrivals.com so maybe the other flights will as well. Nothing for AF1 was listed however, and I myself was told a departure time of 4:45, not nearly as early as they did leave.

Tommorow is when the Japan 747's will depart, plus a couple of the African aircraft, the majority will be gone tonight however.

Squigee

Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:01 am

Akula- we must have seen each other! I was in the light blue shirt on top of a white t-shirt, and I had a scanner, drove a grey Oldsmobile Cutlass. Here's what I saw:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © T Silgrim

A shimmering beauty

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tom Hildreth

Huge behemoth... the engines were excruciatingly loud, even at idle. He proceeded to park, open the nose, and load US Marines helicopters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tommy T

This one was waiting for 15 minutes behind an Air Transat a330

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pawel Padewski

The pilots were getting antsy, stuck behind a Westjet 732, he asked twice for his order for takeoff

View Large View Medium

Photo © French Frogs AirSlide

This one was stuck in line too, I had to leave before they departed

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Rocafort
View Large View Medium

Photo © Colin Abbott

The first photo is exactly what I saw, so I didn't see the actual livery, but the second is what I assume it was

View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Ferguson

This guy was landing on rwy28... neat to see a 1011!

Of course, there were others, but these were the highlights. I had a great time, I met lots of people, mostly non-spotters who just came over and struck up a conversation. It was an absolute BLAST!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Anyone have a time that the Japanese are leaving?

Oh, last thing, I met someone named Ian who put up a website of his pics:
http://www.focusitsolutions.com/AF1

c172akula

Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:50 am

Well, the majority of the delegates and their a/c are now gone. I was watching from 4pm onwards on the Calgary flight ramp. Bo I hope you were out there somewhere, I line up of at least 14 aircraft on charlie waiting for their turn to depart! The AC A340 right in front of the JMC 330! France, Germany, Italy, Sudan, Nigeria, Senegal, Russian Il-68 and Il-96! The Spanish 707 was a great highlight too! All that seems to be left now are the 2 Japan 747's, the Il-76 and Il-68 at the shell, and maybe the French A310. One C-5 is there now at the shell, and I am assuming two more will come in the near future.

I doubt we will ever see such a congested day at Calgary International again in the near future, the line-up looked liked something out of those Boston-Logan shots! Rob and I got some pics of us in front of this massive lineup!

Cheers all!

fallingeese

Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:03 pm

Well that was cool. The C-5 is gone, as is the Il-76. What is left however are 3 US choppers, an IL-62, 2 Japanese 744's, and that about rounds it up. Did anyone catch the Somalian 722 backfiring? That was neat, delayed departure for about 2 hours. Man are those IL-76 load, got blow back by the jetblast and my ears are still ringing.

I'll work on uploading my shots in the next few days. I'll have a few more from tomorrow, than I'll be done for awhile. I think my total damage will be around 6 rolls of film....I'll be out with Bo tomorrow at 7:30 by Calgary Flight Training.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:24 pm

Aaron, I missed it.  Sad

I arrived there around 7pm area just in time to see JMC and the A340.
I say at most 8 planes lined up but I could not belive a whopping 15!

DAmm I wish I got there earlier to see all the others depart.
I shoulda went to school in the morning and headed straight for the airport..
None the less, I shot 3 rolls of film and got drenched in those crazy ass unpredictable weather. I just looved how the planes did a sharp left turn immediately after rotation off 16. Anybody see that?! That must of been one crazy ass cell up there!

I saw the IL76 depart and right now it is headed to Gander and is over Regina right now, at 27000ft, 420 knots, Due to arrive at 7:15am.

The IL76 is Aeroflot flt7634 heavy. It was also carrying Poutine's Limo.
The IL62's left for Ottawa atound 8 and 9pm.
Their flight numers are:

Russia State Transport 9011 and SDM9031.
There is still 1 more IL62 left. Man I did not know they sent 3 IL62's.. Unbelivable, heck I didnt even see where the third one was parked!!

However, I do not know what the Nigerian, South African, Algerian, Poutine's IL96, Galaxy, and French Airforce flight numbers were.. Anybody know?

And where were they all headed to?

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:28 pm

Mark: UPdate.. I wont be able to make it out for today in the morning.
I may arrive in the afternoon to see the galaxy. Sorry about the last minute changes.

If I go in the afternoon, I will be at the public viewing are for 34 liek where we always met up in spotting over the last few days..
Afternoon will be like 12 or 1pm.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:29 pm

One of the reasons is that there is alota cloud cover over Calgary right now.

fallingeese

Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:33 pm

I have 6 rolls of film to scan in over the next week (it doesn't help that my scanner is shit). I'll get the next half badck tomorrow. It's all from the last 5 days of G8 activity. They not as good as Bo's but they give you an idea.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/AF1.jpg
(kinda had some balance issues when this came by.....)

and my lucky shot
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/Westjetline.jpg

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:46 pm

Those are soem VERY NICE SHOTS MARK!!
I want to see more!!!
The airforce one shot: Is that my hair???? Ahahhah!!

I especially like your Westjet shot.. That is a definite addon.
Any screener who rejects that is out of their bonkers!
I got one roll back, I cannot belive the cost for processing. 20 DOLLARS!!! But I did it for one hour at a pro lab. UNBELIVABLE! At Co-Op or Superstore it is only 8 bucks.

Westjet_737

Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:32 pm

Awesome shots Mark!

It's too bad I left just ten minutes before 28000 there with the president came. I got to see 29000 at the sporring place so im prety happy. (I saw 28000 come in, since I went over to that large ridge overlooking deerfoot just off of 64th Avenue NE. Not as close as I couldof been but it worked.)

Where were you guys that day anyway? When 29000 came in I was in the group of people at the fence next to the mohawk. Behind the RCMP car and over to the left a bit.

I just have one question thats kind of off topic but has been bugging me all week. Where in Calgary do you buy a scanner? I cant find a radio shack that sells them anymore and I have no idea where to look now.

Thanks!

Squigee

Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:48 am

Westjet_737:

I got my Pro92 on Ebay. The guy sold it to me for a great price, and I can connect it to my computer to upload/download frequencies. It does trunking too.

That would be my suggestion, but you can try looking in the yellow pages under "Radio Communication Equipment & Systems" but those specialty companies will charge you through your teeth!

fallingeese

Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:46 pm

Hey, well they both got rejected...lol. Appeal is on the way. I also got another 3 rolls back today. Alot more shots to scan.

Westjet_737
My best suggestion is the Calgary Pilot Supply located in the Esso Avitat. Great little store, i bought mine, a Maycom AR-108, it's a very small scanner and I love it. I payed $200 for it. C172Akula also has the same scanner.

fallingeese

Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:18 pm

BO__einG
Topic Author

Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:38 pm

Saw em, those are pretty nice indeed. Good job Kirk! Big grin
Too bad your pictures were rejected, sometimes I also got no clue on what drug some of these screeners are smokin..
My pictures were rejected cuz of pathetic reasons, which I appealed some and uploaded other shots. I will upload my rejected to planepicts or again to this site later on. Usualy, they are right but at a few times like this, I just dont agree, they were on HQ for 5 days and then rejected. bah!

That westjet one should of been added or passed on because it is good quality for a digital shot scanned from a print scanner.
I went to develop 9 rolls today!! hahah,
I got 1 roll bcak yesterday and I will scan it and before I upload, I will try and post them here for yall to see.. Perhaps sometimes tomorrow boyz, some shots are pretty impressive, I got one shot with the spotters at 34.. MAN WAS IT PACKED LIKE POPCORN THAT DAY!!!

Westjet_737

Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:43 pm

Mark, that scanner looks realllllly good. What kind of range (Distance away from the airport you can still hear) do you get on it?

fallingeese

Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:56 am

It depends where you live. I live in Signal Hill and get great signals, driving to the airport it is on and off, but that's going through the Bow River Valler and around Nose Hill Park.

They where accepted to just search for me....Mark McWhirter

Westjet_737

Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:01 pm

Thanks again Mark! I live just east of runway 10 so I should be able to pick it up.

I should be getting it later in the month when im back from Quebec. (I wont be posting from the 5th to the 22nd of July. Dont think i left the forums please  Smile )

Thanks for all of your help.  Big thumbs up