Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

flyboy80
Topic Author

Airplane Door Question (opening/closing)

Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:18 am

Hey heres another aircraft door question. I know when opening a 737 door the handle can be pulled out of its little "socket" but you have to continue holding it, because if you let go it will go back into its resting place unless it is turned in the way where in litteraly cant (the same as if you have a 10 foot beam 8in in diameter and pull it out of its 10'x9" socket horizontaly and then put it vertical it will not fit back in). My question is however, is that how it is on the Boeing 757s,747s, and 777s???
Thanks for helping me with this dumb question, but i was interested to know, thanks!
Brian

SEA nw DC10

RE: Airplane Door Question (opening/closing)

Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:08 am

The 757 door is different, the "knob" is sort of angled, and each side folds out pointing at you, and then you rotate it to open the door, the 747 is the same as the 737 only vertically on the door, and the 777 has a different kind of knob that I can't remember... hope this helps.

Seanwdc10

flyboy80
Topic Author

Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:23 pm

Yeah that helps some, but when you say the 747s is like the 737s you mean if you pulled the 47's out and let go it would go back into its socket correct???

iahcsr

Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:08 pm

Since I do this for a living, and have opened (and closed) Boeing doors more times then I care to remember, I know a bit about it. The 747 and 757 are variations on the same design. The handles pivot out from the central hub and disarm the slide (if not already disarmed from inside)...This is the main reason why it is standard practice at most airlines to have the ground agents open these doors. Once the handles are moved from the stowed position, they can't retract until the door is open/closed. The 777 handle looks more like the 737, but does the same disarming function as the 747/757. The main difference in this case is that it will NOT retract until the door is closed.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

SA-JET

Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:45 pm

Opening a door from the outside, does this effect the sequence in anyway? I.E. will a crew member be able to close from inside if it has been opened from outside, or do the handles (in and out) operate independently from each other?
thanks.

Leezyjet

Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:56 am

If the door has been opened from the outside, it makes no difference whether it is closed from the inside or the outside, but the handle on the outside can only be stowed from the outside, unlike on the Airbus, if the handle is not stowed on the outside, when the door is closed form inside it will stow the handle on the outside.

I have a question though.

On Boeing a/c, the doors are the plug type that close in then those little flaps at the top and bottom flip out when the door is locked, so when the cabin is pressurized you can't open the door. The Airbus doors however are not like that and are the type that just close in then drop down to lock. Would it theoretically be possible to open the Airbus style door in flight ?. Just wondered as when you raise the handle on the Airbus door, the door raises with it and if it was raised far enough, the door would come out of the catches that keep it shut.

I ask because I met a flight once (A321) where a pax had tried to open the door just as the a/c was on finals, but got wrestled to the floor by other pax, and always wondered what would have happened if those pax hadn't intervened.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

SA-JET

Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:08 pm

Airbus doors are plug-types. As I understand it, at low-speeds, a mechanism called a cooper-lock is triggered which locks the door in place, and so cannot be opened. Although this might only be on some planes-about three years ago, a guy hijacked an indonesian a-330, and bailed out at about 10 000f, by opening a rear cabin door (he died...). I'm sure though that the captain depressurised and released the door locks.